Occupational Inspiration

Started by HateSermon, February 22, 2023, 07:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HateSermon

Inspired by the recent WCN interview with Slacking about sound sources coming from the workplace. I think we've all been in a situation where you hear something on the job and say to yourself "I should sample that!". I often wonder if people who work in more industrial settings have an advantage over those of us with desk jobs. Not too many loud clangin' and bangin' sounds in my home office. Just the birds and traffic. But I've had friends work assembly line gigs or construction zone gigs and they always highlight the diverse sound sources they can sample and, to be honest, it kind of makes me want to join their line of work. Some sounds you hear on a daily basis may be considered gold to someone who waits patiently with a microphone for something unique to record. Would love for others to share their stories or thoughts on the subject of using your occupation as inspiration to create noise.

MT

Everyone carries a sound recorder these days. I've recorded sources with my iphone several times, it's just matter of getting used to the habit to record everything interesting. Recording quality is alright, and with proper manipulating they are even excellent. Much more convinient than carrying a zoom at work.

Leewar

Ive been lucky enough to always work in inspirational surroundings.

Quarry
Scrapyard
Engineering
Landscaping/construction
Gym

Ive spent most days hearing something and grabbing my phone to record it.

The Gym provides some interesting (and sometimes hilarious) grunting and clanging rhythms, though trying to record is difficult as theres constant terrible music and people who wont stop talking.

Decrepitude

I have to remember to record at gym since there's a small quiet one at my work place.

I work at an industrial cabinet workshop so I have more metal and power tools sound sources than I can ever put to use. The downside is that sometimes listening to all the banging and machinery sometimes takes a toll on listening to more banging and machinery at home.

Cementimental

One of my tracks is an almost unedited recording taken from some footage I was editing for work, they'd strapped a GoPro camera right near the engine of a taxi and all you could hear was really hard-mic-clipping engine and wind noise as it drove around London

murderous_vision

My work is riddled with recordings of the machine shops I work in. I actually did an experiment several years ago where I made a recording at work and offered it to anyone who wanted to participate in a compilation made 100% from individuals manipulating the source and making their own track. It ended up being like 40 participants and over 8 hours long. Here is the result…
https://murderousvision1.bandcamp.com/album/fried-cnc-an-international-experiment-al-compilation

Cranial Blast

Tape recorder on play at landfill in dump truck. Loads of bulldozer, industrial type of Hulk smash type bullshit going on. Also farm sites can be good where you've got proper access to big metal sheds and all kinds of other rural industrial calamity.

mouthofinfinity

I work in a bus garage where I could record work being done in the shop, but that's a little too close to Commuter for me.

Stipsi

I work almost alone without nothing to sample.
But no colleagues = no ball breakers.
I live in a small 2000 inhabitants village.
Nothing to sample.
I'm surrounded by the void
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.