Skin Mask - S/T (Noise / Death)

Started by Neons Fanzine, February 06, 2023, 04:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neons Fanzine

I have recorded an album last month under the name Skin Mask. Turns out to be an odd record, it's hard to promote it. Noise assaults on guitar, blast beats alternating with heavy doom drumming and growls. No melodies, no riffs. Just pure evil noise and suffocating atmosphere. Recorded in a cold barn for a great natural and chaotic reverbation. I wanted that rural psychotic Ed Gein element to be part of it. The atonal sounds kind of remind me sometimes of early Abruptum tapes, with early death metal and black metal vibes.
I'm curious to know what you will think of it. If you like it or think it's pure shit, I'm interested.

https://skinmasknoise.bandcamp.com/

dreadfulmirror

Well, musical taste is always very subjective of course.
I think there is definitely something into it and therefore it has potential for sure! I enjoy the gloomy and oppressive atmosphere especially in the slower parts. Reminds me a bit of projects like Diseased Oblivion and related, weird hybrids of different styles. The drums sound a bit "plastic" here and there. The overall result could be improved soundwise with an appropriate mix and mastering (this would fix the drums I think) to make the sound (especially in the faster parts) more nuanced and powerful without loosing the raw style.

Personally, I think it's cool for a first release and I'd like to hear new material when it's done!

Neons Fanzine

Thanks a lot for the feedback!
I totally agree with you about the drums and plan to do something about it. Like in track 3 with the pedals it's over the top. Although it's kind of funny / absurd in a way.
I didn't know Diseased Oblivion and listened to it, I see what you mean

MmeDesgranges

I just sent you an email.

I think this is pretty cool in an abruptum kind of way. The "plastic" sound of the drum machine is not necessary a bad thing, but they are very orderly in comparison with the rest of the music. Perhaps they are missing some element of chaos that you would get from live drums...but that might be intentional. Maybe they could do with being a little quieter in the mix as well.

Neons Fanzine

I was thinking of asking a friend to re-do the tracks with real drums for a proper live atmosphere. I think it would play a lot in the final result for sure. Crazier and more unpredictable too
My main issue was the drums so I'm glad you both caught it too. Thanks for your feedbacks. It means a lot