Noise rock

Started by Nyodene D, April 25, 2011, 10:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EXU

Probably Big Black and Butthole Surfers were the first ones for me too, and old Swans and Unsane came right after. It took me some years then to became obsessed with the "genre" (such a loose denomination but whatever). Flipper I probably listened before BB but I was too young and dumb to notice it's geniality, it all came together with Brainbombs and Cows.
The AmpRep catalogue is mandatory and there is a great documentary of it (The Color of Noise) with bands like God Bullies, Lubricated Goat and the aforementioned Cows, Unsane...

DEAF KIDS from Brazil mixes noise rock with crust/hardcore and they signed with Neurot recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiE2ITQ8a6Q
They are cool.

FLORIDA MAN

FLORIDA MAN

Hatefukk

Quote from: Nyodene D on April 25, 2011, 10:43:03 PM

For example, a few friends of mine (andy from The Vomit Arsonist, Jim from Deterge) turned me on to Today Is The Day and Unsane, really getting into that kind of post-hardcore-noiserock-mathcore stuff...

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned them yet but Brainbombs for sure.  Some of Heroine Shieks get's pretty noise as well.  NoBalls would be a nice one.  If you enjoy Unsane you should give Cutthroats9 a try as it has some of the members of Unsane if I am not mistaken. If you don't mind it being a little punky there is an amazing band called NO (absolute nightmare to search for due to the name but if you toss in the album title it helps, look for "NO - Treating people like they don't exist".  I'm sure there will be a ton more that come to mind the second I walk away from this post but hopefully all of the above bands haven't already been mentioned and you get a chance to give them a listen.

Hatefukk

Upsidedowncross . Also apologies for my sloppy post above.  Only the first line is a quotation, the rest is my actual response.

seventhcircle

Quote from: Hatefukk on January 22, 2020, 03:12:19 AM
Upsidedowncross . Also apologies for my sloppy post above.  Only the first line is a quotation, the rest is my actual response.
I waaaannnaaa haaaaaaaaaaang, on an upsideee doowwwwn cross!!

Brainbombs have a new record for pre-order on Skrammel. I'll wait until a digital version is out, but I'd expect nothing less than another instance of genius and brutality.
nothing is precious, bastardize everything

cr

I think it's not exactly fitting to this topic, but as it was released by AmRep: I am just listening to Helios Creed: Kiss to the brain CD. It has been years since the last time. Maybe at the moment I can blame the mood I'm in, but I must admit, I'm a little bit disappointed. I had better memories of this.

duckworship

I was considering mentioning Helios on this thread - especially the great CHROME (when Helios and Damon were involved). The repetitive idiom of "some are better than others" really apply to H's output. I'd really have to sit down and listen to some of them again, but the ones worth checking out would be (in my opinion at least) are X-Rated Fairy Tales, Superior Catholic Finger and The Last Laugh. As for Chrome - really, any of the records H and Damon did up until The Chronicles / Raining Milk are all great and essential listening. If you had to find one to start out with, Half Machine Lip Moves. Fun fact: Brainbombs did a cover of a song off of that album!

Quote from: cr on January 31, 2020, 06:00:02 PM
I think it's not exactly fitting to this topic, but as it was released by AmRep: I am just listening to Helios Creed: Kiss to the brain CD. It has been years since the last time. Maybe at the moment I can blame the mood I'm in, but I must admit, I'm a little bit disappointed. I had better memories of this.

impulse manslaughter

Quote from: Lazrs3 on February 22, 2019, 04:58:58 PM
Drunks With Guns.

Just listened to the DWG 7" I have. Great stuff. Now scanning this topic for similar stuff.

impulse manslaughter

Some band I like that weren't mentioned here:
- Terminal Cheesecake
- Killdozer
- Rapeman
- Head Of David

Hatefukk

Killdozer are great although i'm not sure that I would put them in the noise rock category.  In fact I'm not sure WHAT category I would put them into. Sleazy, noisy, pro-farmer punk rock maybe?

holy ghost

Funny this got bumped - I've been jamming Butthole Surfers all day, definitely not "noise rock" in the traditional sense but I love that super weird type of shit. Then I default to Beefheart/Yoko Ono for super weird rock music.

pureterror

I don't think I saw them mentioned previously but there was also '90s Los Angeles band SLUG with Damion Romero on bass. In addition to releasing a number of records and going on a bunch of tours, they played many of the shows (which I would guess they actually set up) for the touring Japanese noise artists that came through LA during that time.

Here's some good video recorded of them at the legendary Jabberjaw: https://youtu.be/l80fQJl8h3w