Project NAMES?

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, November 12, 2022, 09:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cr

Well, at least for me, The New Boyfriends is a great project name, which makes their noise even better (and also considering the acronym B. Slutbag already mentioned.) But then, I can also forgive a not so good name, if the noise is great.

From when I first heard/read about it, I thought Bizarre Uproar was one of the best and interesting and fitting project names I ever heard about.

I also really like Iron Fist of the Sun or Con-Dom.

cantle

I find that after a while the I say or think of the name only with reference to the band and its work rather than the meaning behind the name. It is only when saying the name out loud to someone unfamiliar with said band does the meaning reval itself once more....

Strangecross

My favorites have always been Stegm and Flatline Construct

I like the idea of a made up word. Flatline Construct seems to maybe have some academic origins, which seem to be fairly interesting but I also hope its is more of a stand alone concept.

Cranial Blast

Quote from: cr on November 20, 2022, 07:42:11 PMWell, at least for me, The New Boyfriends is a great project name, which makes their noise even better (and also considering the acronym B. Slutbag already mentioned.) But then, I can also forgive a not so good name, if the noise is great.

From when I first heard/read about it, I thought Bizarre Uproar was one of the best and interesting and fitting project names I ever heard about.

I also really like Iron Fist of the Sun or Con-Dom.

The New Boyfriends is a great name. It almost comes off as some goth rock/post punk type of a name, like your expecting something that sounds like a cross between Richard Meno and She Past Away or something of that nature haha, but instead you get totally bizarro maniac harsh noise! Definitely a great name indeed!

tiny_tove

I love names that relates to specific moment of history or geography or characters.
But I also love names that put togeter apparently unrelated things.

Current fave name: Mademoiselle Bistouri
it is both soft yet it cuts.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Cranial Blast

Quote from: tiny_tove on February 21, 2024, 03:08:49 PMI love names that relates to specific moment of history or geography or characters.

I 100% agree, Mademoiselle Bistouri is great and precisely as you describe. Also your own project Caligula031 is a brilliant name too, while on the topic, which has historical reference to Roman sadist mixed in with modern time decadence and specific "place" 031, Como Italy.

tiny_tove

Quote from: Cranial Blast on February 21, 2024, 03:45:36 PM
Quote from: tiny_tove on February 21, 2024, 03:08:49 PMI love names that relates to specific moment of history or geography or characters.

I 100% agree, Mademoiselle Bistouri is great and precisely as you describe. Also your own project Caligula031 is a brilliant name too, while on the topic, which has historical reference to Roman sadist mixed in with modern time decadence and specific "place" 031, Como Italy.

thanks, fun thing, if you walk around Milan there are many walls covered of 031, it's not written by my homies but but a Latino pandilla/crime gang
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Thermophile

Some that I like:

Nurse With Wound
Evil Moisture
Das Synthetische Mischgewebe
Esplendor Geometrico
Sewer Election
Vagina Dentata Organ
Cicciolina Holocaust

I hate when people use their birth name as their project name, so unimaginative and a bit narcissistic?

Also interesting to notice how some artists in electronic/techno scene don't care about creating a particular identity through a fixed project name. They release music under a myriad aliases, some utterly ridiculous. Richard Kirk, Uwe Schmidt, Richard James etc, just to name a few.

FreakAnimalFinland

I have been talking with some artists who started to use their own name that. Main reasons seemed to be not being able to stick to band name. Changing it multiple times and then deciding that own name is something who they are, and it's not like they'd going to change that.
Other reason often seems to be, that you started some kind of project in your teenage years and project name is something when you are in your 40's and tell someone you do this project "Putrid Assgrinder"... it feels just weird. So being somewhat legit & credible sound artist may seem good option.  I reject that idea. I'd rather always see "band name" than artist birth name.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Commander15

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on February 22, 2024, 09:21:04 AMI have been talking with some artists who started to use their own name that. Main reasons seemed to be not being able to stick to band name. Changing it multiple times and then deciding that own name is something who they are, and it's not like they'd going to change that.
Other reason often seems to be, that you started some kind of project in your teenage years and project name is something when you are in your 40's and tell someone you do this project "Putrid Assgrinder"... it feels just weird. So being somewhat legit & credible sound artist may seem good option.  I reject that idea. I'd rather always see "band name" than artist birth name.

I don't know if it's just me and my brain, but i really struggle to remember artists that operate with their birth name. For example i've always had problems of remembering the names of jazz and free impro artists, as they usually operate under their own names and there shitloads of jazz artists out there. Not so much with the band names, they just seem to stick in my mind better. Maybe there is some symbolic and ideomatic values in play with band names that enable them to stick better?

host body

I like vaguely futuristic and oddball names, like Merzbow is just brilliant. Japanese artists in general have the best names. Flatline Construct yeah, great name. Sshe Retina Stimulants, love it. I don't like vile for the sake of being vile, or just generic names.