Women in noise podcast

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, July 26, 2022, 08:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Not sure if these are on any other platforms than soundcloud. Perhaps not so widely promoted along harsh noise crowd yet?
As far as I know, there was Women in Noise zine first, that sold out very quick and didn't get to check it out. Also podcast is new.
Name of podcast probably gives you the guidelines what to expect. Unlike the other noise podcasts, biggest difference is that episodes are short. Spookstina is 25 minutes and includes odd pauses/gaps here and there and feels this might be audio out of zoom meeting or something? Audio itself is good, just would have benefitted from cutting away the muted pauses.

Rusalka interview is about 10 minutes only. After listening her interviews from Harsh Truths and WCN, there isn't really any new angle or new information here, but benefit of 10 minute interview is that it is... 10 minutes. I was walking yesterday, with something else I had listened ended before getting into destination, so could just check out this one and appreciate it for what it is.

You can listen episode here:

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-894842639-70919614/women-of-noise-podcast-episode-1-spookstina
https://m.soundcloud.com/user-894842639-70919614/women-of-nose-podcast-episode-ii-rusalka

I would think there would be space for short podcasts for sure. Like 10-15 minute interviews of someone talking about their new album/release. Or something like that. It would be probably just enough to revolve around currently relevant, without pressure of full length interviews? One would hope interviewee would make couple follow-up questions after reply for original question is given. That is the kind of minimum requirement to make interesting conversation.

I'll check the future episodes, hopefully more to come!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Electro Surgeon

INNERCITY UPRISING RECORDS
AUSTRALIAN NOISE AND PUNK

consoomer_electronics

I'm not sure where to put this post so i'm sorry if it's in the wrong place.
As a female sound artist I have noticed that in noise music there are musicians who use imagery and lyrics that could be interpreted as being misogynistic. Sometimes these images and words are even used by musicians who are considered to be leftists.
I believe that you should have the freedom to express that in your art, if that is what you wish to do. After all that is what art and creativity is about, freely expressing how you feel or what you want your audience to see. However, I also believe that I should have the freedom to use imagery and lyrics that some may consider right wing. To me there is no difference in me doing this and others doing what they want to do. But i do still see a bit of censorship around, and hear about people who have no problems with highly sexual, graphic violence or misogynistic subject matter poo-pooing genres like NS Black Metal. Why? It's like they don't want to like it just because of the symbolism used. My own sister is like this. Is it a younger generation thing?

Phenol

Quote from: consoomer_electronics on August 04, 2022, 01:45:38 PM
As a female sound artist I have noticed that in noise music there are musicians who use imagery and lyrics that could be interpreted as being misogynistic. Sometimes these images and words are even used by musicians who are considered to be leftists.
I believe that you should have the freedom to express that in your art, if that is what you wish to do. After all that is what art and creativity is about, freely expressing how you feel or what you want your audience to see. However, I also believe that I should have the freedom to use imagery and lyrics that some may consider right wing. To me there is no difference in me doing this and others doing what they want to do. But i do still see a bit of censorship around, and hear about people who have no problems with highly sexual, graphic violence or misogynistic subject matter poo-pooing genres like NS Black Metal. Why? It's like they don't want to like it just because of the symbolism used. My own sister is like this. Is it a younger generation thing?

Not sure. Most of the people I know (most of them in their 40s and 50s) frown upon nazi symbolism too while accepting other extreme imagery. I agree with you though, anyone should be allowed to express anything in their art, but don't be surprised if people give you shit for it when you put swastikas on your cover. For my own part, I'll sample and show anything if I find it interesting, but I don't necessarily share the opinions of everyone I sample. At the end of the day, there's a big difference between what fascinates you on an artistic level and the actual real world you would like to live in. I am, on the other hand, very up front about my opinions in my lyrics and stand by all I say. I would like to see more women in noise (and all other extreme music and art for that matter) for sure, and hope the misogynistic posturing of some people don't scare too many of you off. In general, I feel like there's less tolerance within the scene today than there was - Militia appearing on the same compilation as Operation Creansweep was completely normal, for example. I don't think most people really gave politics much thought, we just liked the sounds and expressions. Looking at Freak Animal's catalogue, I think you find the same attitude - Haare and Brethren on the same label, for instance - but I think that kind of inclusiveness and focus on quality rather than politics is getting rarer. People are more polarized and it seems like there are parallel scenes rather than just one. Returning to women in noise, are there any explicit anti-male female artists out there?

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Phenol on August 04, 2022, 04:30:52 PM

Returning to women in noise, are there any explicit anti-male female artists out there?

I want to say that Innercity Uprising Records from Australia put out some releases that broadly fall under that description, but I don't think anything came close to equivalent with the level of misogyny found in something like Snuff.

Phenol

Cool, will check out the label - just saw that the new MILAT is out via them as well, so maybe diving in a little bit is worthwhile.

Atrophist

My own sister is like this. Is it a younger generation thing?

I think to a large extent it may be. I'm a gen-X'er, to us the idea that there may be some people, somewhere, harboring beliefs, possibly even expressing them, that we may not fully agree with is generally not intolerable. I get the desire of the millennials/gen-Z to eliminate everything bad and achieve utopia within their own lifetime, in way I almost sympathize with it, since at least it proves they care about something. It will fail, like it always does, and cause untold damage and human misery in the process, but so what. Basically human history in a nutshell.

FreakAnimalFinland

In a way it is slightly out of place, since at least so far, none of the episodes treat artists in a way that there would be kind of "mandatory female artists questions". That is actually one very positive element of this podcast, that women are just artists like any artists, and none of the "so what kind of problems do you have in scene dominated by white men" -type of BS.

I recall when Rusalka was being asked about that that in Harsh Truths and she replied that she's been working on constructions jobs, so sexism in noise..? ehm... haha. Related to that, if someone does have problem with content of noise or some types of people involved in noise, it might be cured by couple years of meeting people in real life. Suddenly you'll learn to get by. Suddenly there ain't that many threshold questions out there what one needs to address.

FreakAnimalFinland

Couple new ones:

https://soundcloud.com/user-894842639-70919614/women-of-noise-podcast-episode-4-kollahge

Is kind of usual type in this podcast, that when they skip the proper introduction in types of who you are and what you do, it's like talking about Janis Joplin and playing in band doing some sort of punk rooted band music. What she has released? What it is? When? How? I think handful of very basics could be included. Now what I really think... is this even a noise interview?

https://soundcloud.com/user-894842639-70919614/women-of-noise-podcast-episode-v-yotzeret-sheydim

This 5th one is by far the best of the podcasts. While Sheydim kind of replies my remark above, that there will be some dorks who will question if what someone does, is really noise, and you should just ignore such things. Yeah, I agree, but it is also option to not call non-noise noise. If there is female artists doing melodic keyboard dream pop with little distortion, that may not be noise. This notion doesn't say that it would be shitty, but you might be waiting reaction from wrong crowd?

Sheydim together with Rusalka are probably ones I would associate among the noise as we known it, but hard to say as most interviews in this podcast fail to really discuss much of really noise related things? Some of these other characters interviewed probably not really noise per se, that's the impression I get. Some produce moody atmospheric melodic ambient with whispering voices and such. Some other types of underground music.
With Sheydim, none of the childhood band camp stories, no former collage band recollections, just straight into contact mic's, rat pedals and name dropping Black Leather Jesus. Followed by perfume recipes smelling like gay ass, little more gear talk and little bits of jewish, trans, antifascist & antizionist things.

In some interviews them touch little topic of difficulties/challenges of being women in noise, and Kollahge mentioned that mostly can't think many things what wouldn't apply to people overall. Sure females face few things men don't, but this podcast is quite well displaying how it may not be so much about gender, some challenges may be simply easier or harder depending are you...  introverted or extroverted? Latter category is likely to get asked to shows, releases, interview etc. Socially confident, outgoing, easy to talk to, easy to hang out with, friendly and helpful.... and so on. That's probably what will be vastly bigger role to "success" in social noise scene, than anything related to gender issues. It is not even that you'd have to be overly extroverted. Just try to act like human being for amount of time you interact with them. If you are introverted and shy, maybe success may be limited to trading death synth tapes with corpse photos with others like you. If being really good, handful of noise lovers might even buy some.

It is interesting topic, that if "women noise" is somehow different from ehm.. generic noise, is it so different that we acknowledge a lot of people do not think of it as noise? And if so, is it noise? How far from noise it can be until we can conclude this ain't noise?

Like in case of alternative comics, back in the 80's and 90's, over here, it was probably more than 90% male dominated art form. By 90's you had active female comic artists pushing it further and now in 2010 onwards, I'd be sure amount of female artists is bigger than men? Also that this transition made alternative comics vastly better, if you ask me. There are a lot of great female artists now, unlike decades ago. Abundance of techniques, breaking up the template what comics are supposed to be. Story lines vastly different, especially compared to little boys comics I could care less about. If there would be development like that, in noise, I'd be all for it. Great comics, personal outlook, personal "gear" to make it, and so on.  I can easily stretch the idea of comics, that there is someone doing emotional diary with one page drawings and text and it qualifies...
But now couple years ago visiting comic festival, and the alternative comics hall was quite dull. No comics. It was mostly trannies selling tote bags and stickers and lectures of trans rights organized by state funded organization. Yeah. Fine with me, but where's the comics? Your tote bags, slogan pins and stickers ain't the "alternative comics" by any stretch of imagination, as dream pop ambient ain't "noise". I doubt this is hateful or disrespectful comment. If someone wants to be respected noise artists, all you got to do is make some good noise and get it out there. Might not be easy, but very much in realms of doable if someone commits to it. If interests are elsewhere, it may be good to pursue that direction?

I keep my fingers crossed that Women in noise podcast will find some moderately extroverted female noise artists to be interviewed.

FreakAnimalFinland

6th one online.

It seems debatable if half of people in podcast are women and more importantly, if people in podcast have anything to do with noise. I guess unless women in noise starts to offer women in noise, I doubt much more episodes needs to be listened...