Special Interest
December 07, 2022, 04:43:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Distortion stacking (or in general)  (Read 735 times)
skyloop

« on: July 21, 2022, 01:27:19 PM »

I'm a new noise artist and I got a lot of the basics down of what does what with my synth based currently set up but one thing I'm wonder is how distortion tends to creating that extremely explosive sound that I would say sounds like a never end explosion when certain textures are put through it (or sometimes not at all, one time a long while back on a failed noise project I had a distortion pedal that did that exact thing no input and could be made into very simple wall noise). MY Data Corrupter pedal is able to do this and introduce some very wacky dynamics but I have a Boss DS-1 here that can on it's own get extremely loud but doesn't do the thing.

On another note I stacked this Boss distortion on top of it and instead of get louder and stronger the sound actually got a bit quieter. Is there only some that work better together or do I need some sort of signal boosting pedals  in between. Would make an extremely long stack to run more tests but my power supply multi-adapter hasn't arrived yet.
Atrophist
user

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 10:09:00 PM »

I’d advise you not to worry about how loud certain pedals are. Your amp/PA/whatever can make things louder if need be. If you like the sounds they produce, fo for it. Generally speaking, yes, my own experiences with placing Boss pedals after more experimental/noise-adjacent pedals have been underwhelming as well. And I know what I’m talking about, since I’m practically OCD about trying all my pedals in every combination possble. ;)
skyloop

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 12:56:38 AM »

I’d advise you not to worry about how loud certain pedals are. Your amp/PA/whatever can make things louder if need be. If you like the sounds they produce, fo for it. Generally speaking, yes, my own experiences with placing Boss pedals after more experimental/noise-adjacent pedals have been underwhelming as well. And I know what I’m talking about, since I’m practically OCD about trying all my pedals in every combination possble. ;)

Oh I see, well I have a Hizumitas on the way because it looks like it's extremely foundation noise heavy, you're right that it may just be that it's simply too clean of a distortion and in many contexts if you want something heavier that's not gonna do anything but get in the way. One use messing around with the Boss I did have is with some ocean waves like preset I made on my synth that I amplified and distorted with it then used my 2X Looper to take it down an octave and started infinitely building on top of it and got some really alien sounding results. So it's certainly not good for nothing though.
Atrophist
user

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 05:30:54 PM »

So it's certainly not good for nothing though.

Absolutely not, and ”happy accidents” and experimentation is key. Boss pedals are sturdy, reliable no-frills sound tools and no noise artist can possibly go wrong having a few of them lying around. Or for the more budget minded, their corresponding cheap Behringer knock-offs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: