New Phage - 6 new tapes of varying styles

Started by phagetapes, April 15, 2011, 04:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phagetapes

PT:111 Mutant Ape "Winter Recordings 2007-2008" c60
http://www.discogs.com/Mutant-Ape-Winter-Recordings-2007-2008/release/2556968
Edition of 58.  Packaged in norelco case and has a jcard with 5 color screen printed front and 2 color screen printed back. 
More material from the ever-changing project of George Proctor.  This release contains 3 tracks.  One long moderately mellow track covers side A and two tracks of slowly evolving harsh noise (borderline HNW) cover side B.
Mutant Ape side A sample
Mutant Ape side B sample

PT:120 Fear Konstruktor/ Defektro c39
http://www.discogs.com/Fear-Konstruktor-Defektro-Fear-Konstruktor-Defektro-Split/release/2720118
Edition of 100.  Comes in "brad pack" with 4 color screen printed front and 1 color screen printed back.
Fear Konstruktor provides 3 tracks of synth pulsing noise that build a tense atmosphere while Defektro's 5 tracks have a more in your face approach using harsher tones, high pitched frequencies and clanging machine noises.  Both projects come together with an almost 6 min collab track of well organized ambient industrial soundscapes.
Fear Konstruktor - Zoned Out
Defektro - Flashback

PT:121 Regosphere "Gutter Swarm" c58 (Reissue of a tour cs)
http://www.discogs.com/Regosphere-Gutter-Swarm/release/2458904
Edition of 100.  Comes in oversized vinyl case with 3 colored screen printed cover and 4 panel insert containing lyrics. 
Im a huge fan of Andy Pugh.  When I first started Phage Tapes he was the first person I contacted.  Since then he has put his harsh project on hold to focus on more varied styles and the material on this release does not disappoint.  There is a large range of sounds/styles presented on this album from PE to field recordings to harsh noise loop based tracks.
Monochrome Existence

PT:122 Alisa-Yhtye c46
http://www.discogs.com/Alisa-Yhtye-Untitled/release/2668051
Edition of 100.  Packaged in a norelco case and has a j card with 3 color screen printed front and 1 color screen printed back. 
Russian harsh noise using metal objects and feedback.  If your into this sample find some videos on youtube.  This guy rules.
Alisa Yhtye sample

PT:149 Isolated Existence c30
http://www.discogs.com/Isolated-Existence-Overskies/release/2618778
Edition of 50. Packaged in a norelco case wrapped in a 2 color screen printed 0-card and has a 2 sided j card. 
Minneapolis local making some really well put together ambient soundscape tracks.   Very relaxing material. 
Isolated Existence sample

PT:155 Pollutive Static "Burning Faith" c20
http://www.discogs.com/Pollutive-Static-Burning-Faith/release/2708396
Edition of 100.  Packaged in a Norelco case with full color 2 sided j card.
Project of Hal Hutchinson focusing on thick walls of noise.  This release has mulitple layers of white noise, feedback and straight up harsh noise.
Pollutive Static sample

cs are 7$ each in NA and 9$ each worldwide.
Buy 3 for 18$ in NA and 23$ worldwide
Or all 6 new releases for 30$ in NA and 36$ worldwide.

Paypal: phagetapes at yahoo dot com

I will be updating the News and Samples sections of my blog much more frequently in the coming months so keep an eye out. 

More cassettes coming VERY soon:
Koufar + Skin Graft cs
Disgust/Gnawed/Nyodene D/RU-486 2xcs
Richard Ramirez+Red Hook cs
Friends With Corpses cs

Andrew McIntosh

Finally, the re-release of Gutter Swarm. I've got the older copy and it's great to have this album available to people once again. A high water mark in Pugh's catalogue, which is high indeed.
Shikata ga nai.

phagetapes

here is what existence establishment said about the original gutter swarm cs

Regosphere is a name which is quickly making it's way to one of my current favorite active noise projects. If you're not in the loop quite yet, Regosphere is Andrew Quitter the man behind the rising label DumpsterScore Home Recordings. Regosphere takes queues from such epic acts as Megaptera, ...Today I'm Dead, and Atrax Morgue to form intensely layered washes of industrial noise.

Gutter Swarm is the first solo album I've heard from the project and let me say it is jam packed with #1 top charted hits galore. What I have here is apparently the "2010 Summer Tour Edition" so it may not be too late to get your grimy 'lil mits on this one. Take the opener which is also the title track and be lulled by it's brutal electrical zapping tones combined with glassy drones. "Kidnapped" then takes us into the seedy underworld of vacant hvac units, humming street ambience and spooky back alleys. Finally "Place to Go?" brings out the rhythmic industrial with a throbbing burst of what could be amplified 60 cycle hums and low vocals. After a short field recorded intro "Monochrome Existence" mixes synth stabs with heavily distorted tortured vocals and blasts of thick noise lurking in the distance.

Side B presents "Social Restraint" which is a buzzing, shuffling collage of fuzzed out synth hiss, snapping noise tendrils and underrated drones. "Overwhelmed" is a long track of slowly morphing delayed feedback that – on the surface feels like standard fair – but it's an exercise in minimalism that lulls me into a hypnotic state and prepares me for the more detailed industrial noise and floating ambient piano layers of "Grey Winter".

The great thing about Gutter Swarm isn't really in any one track, but in the variety of different tones and sounds presented in each and every one. They are obviously all parts of the same story and fit together well as an album, but they are separated enough by sound and vision to enable them to bring the listener into each little detail that makes them unique, and depraved. In Gutter Swarm Regosphere adeptly shows us how many shades of gray there really are.

Overall a sick release taking influences from some of my favorite acts but also adding something new and improving on a classic death industrial sound. This is American death industrial rising, and with the quality that both Regosphere and DumpsterScore Recordings have to offer I'm thankful it's coming from Quitter's careful hands.