Asmus Tietchens - "Schatten Ohne Licht" New CD release

Started by blackroserecordings, June 15, 2022, 11:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackroserecordings

I am expecting delivery of the exceptional new CD album release by Asmus Tietchens within the next few days. As a pioneer of electronic composition his work spans over four decades and doesn't fit easily into any one category. Early recordings ranged from experiments with tape machines and electronic sound through to experimental pop. Later works are a more sculptural blend of abstract microelectronics, industrial sounds and musique concrete.

The cost of the CD is £10.00 plus postage. Pre-orders are being accepted now. For a limited period you can also add one of the following Black Rose Recordings products to your order for just an extra £4. Message me via blackroserecordings@yahoo.co.uk for more detail and confirmation of total cost including postage.

Asmus Tietchens  -  "Fast Ohne Titel, Korrosion"  CD
Contrastate  -  "Recorded evidence II"  CD
Contrastate  -  "An exercise in defascination"  7" single
rlw  -  "Agnostic diaries"  CD
rlw  -  "Flurry of delusion"  CD
rlw  -  "The pleasure of burning down churches"   CD
srmeixner  - "A silent war"  CD

blackroserecordings

A review of the CD has just appeared in Vital Weekly. The offer above still stands. Contact me at blackroserecordings@yahoo.co.uk if interested.

ASMUS TIETCHENS - SCHATTEN OHNE LICHT (CD by Black Rose Recordings)

The previous CD by Asmus Tietchens for Black Rose Recordings was 'Fast Ohne Titel, Korrosion' (Vital Weekly 907), which was quite a diversion from his usual quiet music. For 'Schatten Ohne Licht' (shadows without light), there is no such diversion, and Tietchens stays firmly in his silent world. Next to the usual E.M. Cioran quote, the information tells us that Tietchens takes inspiration from the works of Ulrich Horstmann and that the theme for this release is about "a return to a mineral world without any organic species, and there inhabitable for human beings". Also no ray of sunshine in this thinking, but considering the sorry state of the world, one could say it's not the worst idea. With this information in the back of my mind, I started this release and saw images of an empty world; no life at all, just rocks, caves, and minerals; is there a sea? Can it exist without life in it? My knowledge of the natural world is pretty limited, so I don't know. But Tietchens' music here sounds like stale wind over barren land. Wind rustling... well, not leaves and branches, probably, but there is a strong feeling of desolation within this music. As always, I have no idea what kind of sounds Tietchens uses in his music, as the level of processing is quite high, but it works very well. There is a bit of industrial droning in 'Anthroposaurus', which is not something I heard this strong in his other recent releases. In other pieces, this is less evident, so this new release is not a most radical break. It is, however, an excellent release, on par with almost all of Tietchens' releases, but safe to say, as a fanboy, I am probably quite biased. Towards the end of the final piece, 'Kolosse', the volume increases considerable and ends with silence; I believe that is quite a sign, but for what? (FdW)