MASF pedals

Started by smurk, May 16, 2022, 02:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smurk

Hello, first time posting but I've been a lurker for quite some time.  I'm looking for anyone's feedback regarding the Japanese pedal company MASF.  I know about their products and am interested in purchasing a few things.  Just wanted to hear any experience with ordering from "random" Japanese ebay accounts.  Seems like that's the only way to go right now.  I remember a while back there was one or two US companies that would distribute, but those seem to have disappeared. Can anyone share advice and/or ebay accounts to trust with ordering? Thank you!

Stipsi

Top stuff.
I have an epilepsy, a possessed and I had a thornoscillator.
The only negative thing is the output volume is so loud that they buried others pedals
But probably is not a real problem.
Btw, for my experience one of the best "boutique pedals" brand for noise.
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

smurk

I'm looking for advice on how/where to order them.  Did you go the Japanese ebay route, or get them used through reverb? 

Stipsi

Thornoscillator and epilepsy were bought in Japan directly during a trip of my gf some years ago.
I found the possessed used in Italy (I'm Italian).
I think reverb probably is the best option, but also on Ebay you can find something
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

host body

OSC-3 was fun, very limited but unlike many similar pedal form noise synths, it sounds very good. Still, one trick pony and at that cost I'd rather buy a Behringer analog synth or something else.

moozz

Quote from: host body on May 19, 2022, 03:12:13 PM
OSC-3 was fun, very limited but unlike many similar pedal form noise synths, it sounds very good. Still, one trick pony and at that cost I'd rather buy a Behringer analog synth or something else.

I do not know Behringer much (apart from the awesome Super Fuzz and some cheap mixers) but would be interested in knowing which of their products would be anywhere near OSC03? OSC03 can do pretty wild drastic changes and I'd love to try something similar with more flexibility.

host body

Quote from: moozz on May 20, 2022, 12:52:17 PM

I do not know Behringer much (apart from the awesome Super Fuzz and some cheap mixers) but would be interested in knowing which of their products would be anywhere near OSC03? OSC03 can do pretty wild drastic changes and I'd love to try something similar with more flexibility.

Idk, K2? Direct clone of MS-20. With creative patching, fast hands and maybe a looper you can do very similar sounds. More effort but then it's also capable of so much more.

Stipsi

Not behringer, but I've got audible disease dementia and it's a great noise box. Probably hard to find nowadays but I've got it for 10 + years and is still one of my favourite one
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

Abraxxum

If you want wild drastic changes buy a X1L3 Shard. 

moozz

Quote from: Abraxxum on June 03, 2022, 04:00:49 AM
If you want wild drastic changes buy a X1L3 Shard. 

Thanks for the tip! The demos sounded very promising!

Atrophist

Pretty much unobtainium outside Japan at the moment, as far as I'm aware. As others have mentioned, you may get lucky on ebay or Reverb.

I used to own their OSC03 synth. I liked the idea of it more than the actual thing. Too many of those chirpy "Japanese" sounds. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Their fuzz pedals are great, but imho not worth the expense and effort at the moment, at least not here where I am. Last Gasp Art Laboratories (I hope I got the name right) do similar stuff, and it's more readily available.

moozz

Quote from: Atrophist on June 23, 2022, 12:44:44 AM
I used to own their OSC03 synth. I liked the idea of it more than the actual thing. Too many of those chirpy "Japanese" sounds. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

I know exactly what you mean and those "Japanese chirps" are the reason why I love it :)