15.4.2011 FIN, Helsinki AAVE-festival, Grey Park & Dieter Müh

Started by nosfe, April 05, 2011, 09:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nosfe

Grey Park & Dieter Müh will perform at AAVE-festival in Malmitalo, Helsinki 15.4.2011

Grey Park performs at 21:00 and Dieter Müh 22:00.

This event is part of the AAVE-festival, more info http://www.aavefestival.org/

FREE ENTRY!

FreakAnimalFinland

huh, quite late. I was just about to post about this.

Thu 14.4.2011 - Sun 17.4.2011
AAVE festival
Alternative Audiovisual Event
Free entrance

Event location:   Malmitalo
Address:   Ala-Malmin tori 1
The festival of moving images was held for the first time with great success last year and it offers again flickering, rattle and flutter for many great days (14.–17.4.2011).

MALMITALO CALENDAR

THURSDAY 14.4.2011
18:00 Oishii! Japanese delicacies: To be announced later
20:30 Live Cinema: Gregoire Rousseau & Samuli Tanner (FR/FI)

FRIDAY 15.4.2011
18:00 This is our N.A.M.E.: Arab Shorts, curated by Marcel Schwierin (GR)
19:30 New Finnish Media Art: AAVE-arkki
21:00 Live Cinema: Grey Park (FI)
22:00 Live Cinema: Dieter Müh (UK)

SATURDAY 16.4.2011
14:00 VJ workshop pt.1: Iván Torres Hdez (ES/FI) & Hugo Olim (PT)
16:00 Dance performance: Mikko Kallinen & The Company: Measuring - coordinates, energy, time and gravity
18:00 This is our N.A.M.E.: Resistance(s) v.1, curated by Silke Schmickl (FR)
19:00 Oishii! Japanese delicacies: Angel's Egg (Tenshi no Tamago), Mamoru Oshii 1985
21:00 Live Cinema: Seppo Renvall & Maija Saksmann (FI)

SUNDAY 17.4.2011
14:00 VJ workshop pt.2: Iván Torres Hdez (ES/FI) & Hugo Olim (PT)
14:00 Short Animation: films by Tex Avery and Yuri Norstein
16:00 Dance performance: Mikko Kallinen & The Company: Measuring - coordinates, energy, time and gravity
16:00 This is our N.A.M.E.: Resistance(s) v.1, curated by Silke Schmickl (FR)
18:00 Oishii! Japanese delicacies: To be announced later
20:30 Live Cinema: J. K. Ihalainen & Sándor Vály (HU/FI) + Harri Hertell & Dxxxa D

AAVE GOES KALLIO

FRIDAY 15.4.2011
13:00 Panel discussion: Silke Schmickl (FR) & Marcel Schwierin (GR)
Place: Kuvataideakatemia, Kaikukatu 4, Helsinki

22:00 VJ set: Hugo Olim (PT) & Iván Torres Hdez (ES)
Place: Siltanen, Hämeentie 13 B, Helsinki

SATURDAY 16.4.2011
22:00 VJ set: Iván Torres Hdez (ES) + Special Guest
Place: Baari, Porvoonkatu 19, Helsinki

SUNDAY 17.4.2011
22:00 VJ set: Ilmoitetaan myöhemmin
Place: Baari, Porvoonkatu 19, Helsinki

AAVE FESTIVAL - FOR ANY AGE, CLASS STATUS OR WALLET

In April 2011 AAVE (in Finnish: ghost, spectre) will be back to haunt the cultural centre Malmitalo. The Helsinki-based festival of audiovisual arts, successfully launched in 2010, will will be offering a refreshing experience for many rewarding days, to any fan of cinema and art. Also for this year the event at Malmitalo is completely free of charge.

We will present a selection of short films and full-length feature treats as we did in our event last year. For our short film selection, we showcased in 2010 works from Europe and Americas, and now it's time to turn our attention to the lights and shadows of Middle East and North Africa. There will be both experimental and more traditional short films presented.

Our very own full-length feature series "Oishii! Japanese delicacies" continues to explore the rich cinematic history of the land of the rising sun. All films are connected by the personal, strong mark of its directors. Every festival-evening will end with unique shows where live music and moving imagery are complement by each other. The festival value is risen up by the première of a new dance show ""Measuring - coordinates, energy, time and gravity" by Mikko Kaillinen & The Company, where various art-pieces move inside an axel of live-performance/video-virtual world.

The weekend VJ workshop provides an interesting opportunity for interact with our audience. The programme of this year will also include two other new festival series, a fantasy-themed animated classics selection for all ages, and a compact, fresh compilation of new Finnish media art.

This whole ensemble is of course complemented by the presence our Finnish and international guests; you can find out more about them by visiting the "guests" -section.

Aavemaisin terveisin,
Ivan Punzo & Kari Yli-Annala
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

Grey Park, was both good and bad things. Good thing was that there came some interesting sounds and textures, the not so good thing was that there was nothing really out of ordinary. Bad thing, was non-musical qualities. If you got 2 guys doing live visuals on huge screen and 4 guys doing sound, how can it look like this? I guess it's the "academic" approach. Guys sitting in row, pretty much doing nothing, for 40 minutes? When you close eyes, its slowly shifting from thing to another, occasionally sounding very nice, kind of stuff multilayered droning noisy electronics, what I'd enjoy.. perhaps not so perfect transitions, and most of all, appearing to be "jam"? But as soon as you open eyes, there are these 4 guys, sitting, with their table lights. Perhaps without lap-top, but with the Merzbow'ish (e?)motionless style. One great moment is like these two imperfect "whistle" type of sounds, what actually makes members suddenly react in a way that "who was that?", checking out eachothers and giving gestures of disapproval or uncertainty. I think mr. Pilvari was using short wave radio. Kind of cheaper bulk radio, though. But already that alone was nice. Simple radio static and someone adding little nuances. Perhaps kicking out videocrew and 2-3 members, someone could do solo of similar material, but knowing better what exactly to do.
Unfortunately for such a long set, simply fall under category where it's quite enjoyable if you just throw together whatever 4 sounds and see what comes up. But to be actually TALENTED doing it, making it exceptional, would perhaps require some defined ideas and something executed with more precision than "lets jam".
However, I'm curious to check out some of their recent releases if there are some. I think the ltd 100 copies 7" was the last thing I've heard.

Dieter Muh was perhaps different that they have been? Shrunk into solo project. He was doing soundtrack for video made by ex-member of the band. Video started nicely, but went into quite dull abstraction. Sound material DM came up with, was far more defined and advanced from GP approach. He would actually focus on some important basic elements, and allow them to shift and modulate quite extensively, building slowly layers of sounds behind it, but always having the red line what actually is the lead sound of the piece. It would have this rhythmical industrial feel to it, which slowly mutated into noisier soundscapes. And I could have applauded for idea to actually play more than just one piece. He would stop.. or lets say let the song fade down to almost silence, before starting entirely new song. No bullshit transitions of artists not really knowing what's going on, but sharp well executed compositional skill. Middle of DM set was rhythmic electronics. One could perhaps even say malformed beats being constantly adjusted, and new details thrown in mix. It wouldn't be any clean drum machine dance, but most certainly closest to such direction what I ever heard from Dieter Muh. The end of set became moodier, with rhythmic metal percussion sample, with strange dysfunctional sounding loop rotation, covered with extensive effects. Distant drone humming... and at some point when I opened my eyes, artist had left the stage and minimal sound going on was simply result of equipment playing itself for last few minutes.
Nice gig. Perhaps lack of heavy-duty PA power, it wasn't as noisy and fierce as Mäntsälä many years ago, but auditorium without any need of earplugs was fine too!

Only thing not that great, was the abundance of art fags. Not that I would care who comes to watch the shows, but when they don't. People just hanging out and the cunts talking loud over the music about most retarded mundane things. It's different in a bar. When you pay in, to have fun. And within loud music, it's fine. In quiet auditorium, where you didn't spend any money, why not leave if you rather be elsewhere? I rarely bitch about things, but had to ask these two cunts to keep their mouths shut. Was thinking should I be civilized or not. I chose the first option and actually regretted next time. So, lets wait the next opportunity to see how performances in the audience are welcomed, heh...  
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Steve

Kiitos Mikko.
A thoroughly enjoyable evening, although the Lucky Lady Bar and Koff had a lot to answer for!
I thought the sound could have been louder. Thanks for the words, glad you enjoyed my sound. It was great to see you and Tommi.