favorite bootlegs

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, January 06, 2022, 10:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

sometimes touchy subject in genre, so let me specify. I do not mean items that are fake replicas of old tapes. Ideally not giving feeling of someone grabbing easy money, but perhaps something that used to be called even "fanclub release", hah... Things that were often done in time when band/artist had disappeared or unwilling to release something, but there seemed to be almost historical necessity to have something preserved.

This week I was contacted by person who was asking if I have need for Sutcliffe Jugend "WSOTG" 10xLP box. I do have the sample CD done by Cold Spring. I also have one guy who has the original tape set, made me CDR copies perhaps decade ago or more. I know there will be Vinyl On Demand vinyl box that may or may not include some of this stuff... but lure of old bootleg vinyl box was too much to say no.

While I would not advocate anyone start bootlegging items now, at some point it seemed good thing to happen and also some of these items are treasured items, at least in my own collection.

Whitehouse "tit pulp" 7". Literally one of the best power electronics 7"s! Just couple tracks pulled from live VHS, I suppose!
V/A "Crimes" LP is older, I suspect Italian. V/A "White Power" LP is vastly newer, but could that be done "officially" with approval of artists? I seriously doubt it. Brilliant LP!
I know Genocide Organ was not impressed of the couple bootleg live LP's that was done. I think the latter one even runs slightly at wrong speed? Nevertheless, when having option to get them, of course I had took them.
Same with Whitehouse bootleg LP's that are merely the albums "repressed", have somehow unusual aura to them. Best are of course something band never released themselves, but I also grabbed items like old Psychopathia Sexualis bootleg LP... but Also merely looking at my own shelves, Total Sex original, Total Sex bootleg, Total Sex official reissue, Total Sex original CD or latest Total Sex Come Org "look-alike" CD... I can't really rate the bootleg obsolete. It add very special aura on release that there would be something as nasty as THIS, and it had to be bootlegged on vinyl! It gives me some joy what can't be really explained. Same way as some rough looking M.B. bootleg LP, with just nasty Xerox pasted on plain sleeve. I know I have it as part of VOD box, but... No way I would sell away this early 90's (?) bootleg LP.
Same goes for some of the old The New Blockaders boots. Seinsart LP, which is basically just the same old  "Live At Morden Tower", but especially the hand made broken vinyl records cover LP... surely appreciated here!

Any particularly important, interesting and inspiring bootlegs?

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

burdizzo1

I think Throbbing Gristle's "Very Friendly/ First Annual Report" was only ever released as a bootleg? If you ask me, it contains some of their best material.

moozz

One that immediately comes to mind is the Incapacitants - In-Store Only cassette. Was this originally "released" (distributed?) by RRR? If I remember right I got mine from Tommy when buying some other tapes from him. The tape has 45 minutes of murky Incapacitants screech.

Goat93

i remember some professional bootlegs in the black metal scene like burzum or darkthrone.only difference to the originals were the matrix number. very well done. di6 have some decent fanmade bootlegs.

Bloated Slutbag

Whitehouse related bootlegs are kind of my mainstay. Psychopathia Sexualis, Right To Kill, Neuengamme VA (with Phallus Dei inserted!). Most of these picked up in my teenage years not actually knowing or caring anything of their non-value. And therefore that much more valuable (to me).

And because it needs to be added. From that same period also snagged a seemingly legit Whitehouse Live Action 4-11-83, one which simply blew away everything I'd ever heard from the project. The pure blistering harsh fury unmatched. Yet again no inkling as to legitimacy or whatever. Just, like, whoa, this is what these chaps can do? Daaaamn.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

cantle

TG's live at the Death factory is pretty good- nice picturedisc too..

Whitehouse through their Susan Lawly site did sell live recording so it is official. I have one of their live performances on VHS still somewhere

Eigen Bast

The various The Moon Lay Hidden Beneath a Cloud bootlegs over the years; whether the live CDs or the full length box sets, have kept some vital material at least somewhat available. It's a shame the Grand Lodge bootleg box has some stupid issues with tracks being cut off, great presentation otherwise.

accidental

Quote from: moozz on January 07, 2022, 01:50:28 PM
One that immediately comes to mind is the Incapacitants - In-Store Only cassette. Was this originally "released" (distributed?) by RRR? If I remember right I got mine from Tommy when buying some other tapes from him. The tape has 45 minutes of murky Incapacitants screech.

I need more info on this! Been wondering ever since i saw it on his top 100 list as "In-Store Only LP bootleg version". From when is this? Early 00's?

Another massive mystery for me is the MSBR / Gov Alpha split cassette on Xerxes according to Roemer's list. What the heck is that? And give me one please! That can not be officially released? Was that some early cassette of the later to be released split 7"? Because thats live from Russia during the summer of '98. I assume a full lenght cassette of it could have been floating around among friends and such during the late 90s?

Cranial Blast

Any of G.I.S.M.'s since Relapse Records cucked out big time to modern day forms of censorship. Also I've got a Sodom - Obsessed By Cruelty bootleg CD. I remember buying this album by Steamhammer and they thought it would be cool to combine Sodom - In The Sign Of Evil and Obsessed By Cruelty in one compilation CD and I hated that! Both albums deserve their own special release, not one where In The Sign Of Evil gets to be the cover and Obsessed By Cruelty cover image, "which rules!!" Takes backseat to be the inside cover when you open the case!...I've always fucked hated that, so I found a great bootleg of a stand alone Obsessed By Cruelty CD and I don't care if it's a "bootleg" make it reality than Steamhammer, but they suck and never will!