LIVE experimental sound, consciously seeking new locations/situations

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, January 06, 2022, 01:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

For long time I have been both thinking and talking about somehow re-thinking how to do live shows. There has not been any really disappointing things nor something to regret, and I am very supportive for idea of noise fests and gigs of all kinds.

Was talking with some friends about has it been really asked what players/artists would prefer to do? Is it sort of expected that when you invite artist to play, it should be loud PA, bar/music venue and hotel room? Perhaps in more DIY spirit, slice on the floor of some local guy. But what if it would be actually more interesting, and suitable to be sit-though show. Perhaps auditorium, perhaps cafeteria, perhaps late afternoon, rather than drunken haze of rock nightclub?
Something what can be also other type of noise than hellish blasting? Sure those things happen a lot, but perhaps in more arty contemporary music and not so much "harsh noise" what may have almost automatic assumption that it should be loud as fuck.

But if there would be something like.... H.Ö.H., would the loudness of PA or huge amps actually destroy the spirit of home-recording, slow paced craftmanship? Perhaps also some works of Altar Of Flies, it would benefit from being daytime show, bright lights, small audience sitting in chairs when the man crafts his sound works. Not perhaps party mood, where artists often compete with loud volume against annoying audience chatting.

Would it be good to challenge how noisy experimental sound has been done, or just rely on As loud as possible, on stage, pit emerging among crowd type of thing?

As a artist - any preferences?
As a person who would watch the shows - any preferences?
As a organized, do you feel there could be need to try different things?

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Soloman Tump

From a punters perspective, I love visiting new "quirky" venues, there is a DIY promoter in Oxford who loves taking risks on new venues.  Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it just doesn't work.  

Arts venues can attract a more discerning crowd than the rock pub you mentioned before, and daytime gigs draw in people who really want to be there, and not just to get drunk and chat with mates.   Seated gigs obviously help with getting people to settle down too.  One venue I went to a while back actually closed the bar during performances which helped with stopping the background chatter during sets.  Brave from the organiser who rely on the bar income but IMO it made for a much better evening and the bar was still busy between sets.

Dronica Festival in London takes place in an old church which is now an arts centre.  You can sit on the old wooden pews or stand around.  This video gives a good indication -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9AQ1EVzzCE

Amazing space to watch in, and no doubt perform too as the acoustics were really good in there.  In fact, just after a minute into that video, you can see me sat on the floor bopping along. I miss live music.

HateSermon

As an artist and attendee - I prefer DIY shows at either a rehearsal space or someone's house that is able to not piss off the neighbors! PA as loud as possible. Gallery spaces are too awkward with pedestrians and bar shows just get expensive... most of the money is spent on beer and not merch. I might just be over the bar scene in general, actually.

Although maybe certain artists would be more appropriate in an art gallery type setting. Someone like Peter J Woods or Pedestrian Deposit comes to mind, as they often include some sort of performance art aspect to their set. I've seen both of these projects live at house venues and, while it was still good, I thought the environment could have been different.

Strangecross

I would love to go to some shows in the middle of the day, or even the morning, in a less conventional space. living room, cafeteria, somewhere well lit....
could bring a new sort of focus.
I can second churches as well.

Atrophist

The fact that there is -- at best -- very little money in noise is of course a contributing factor. It has its own advantages too, which have been discussed before. But the lack of suitable, or even reasonable, venues is of course a permanent problem. I like the idea of playing in a grimy dive bar with a guitar combo amp in the corner. As an artist this would be my preferable scenario. As an event organizer, it's a total nightmare. The owners of the bars are greedy and unreliable, and the worst problem is of course the alcoholic zombies who are constantly trying to outdo each other in behaving in the most idiotic manner possible.

I've played in a "proper rock club" a few times. The older I get, the less time I have for the rock'n'roll lifestyle and the rock'n'roll dream. To the point that when I want to listen to some "real" music (I think noise music is real music actually, but you know what I mean) at home, I find myself turning to classical music more and more. Almost everything about the rock and mainstream metal scene annoys me these days, and I've no desire to attempt any crossover in that direction. Of course, the feeling is mutual, so ...

What I and a few others have been doing for the last few years under the name Noise Space is fairly close to ideal in some ways. In other ways, it's a million miles away from what I want. First of all, they are not real UG events since they are funded and supported from outside. And whoever pays the bills, gets to set the boundaries inside of which things must remain. On the other hand, they provide a good venue, stage, sound system and even a professional sound guy -- all for free of charge. And I am quite obviously increbidly grateful for it. Not even the fact that the venue is inside a damn shopping center bothers me anymore.

I plan on trying out some experimental forms of performance on upcoming events. Encouraging audience participation, impromptu collaborations and jams by different artist combinations. That sort of thing. Noise Space events must be free of charge (one of the rules set by the owners of the venue) so we cannot ever have any "big" name artists, so we might as well explore this avenue of trying to go forward and keep things interesting.

I was briefly involved with the Kontula Electronic festival organization, who had great ideas for novel locations for shows. In libraries, swim halls, even on the subway (the gig was timed to begin at the Kontula metro station, and end when the same train returned to Kontula about 45 minutes later). Some of this was hit and miss. Jimi Tenor performed inside a glass cube of unknown function on the roof of the Kontula shopping district. The roof was so rotten that his foot when through it, and he was scared of pulling it free for fear of it causing the whole roof to collapse, and ended up playing the set with hi sfoor inside the roof. Immediately after we needed the sound system at the Kontula skateboarding hall, for the show of some bigtime Thai percussionist. So we had to haul the PA across the rooftops as quickly as possible, hoping it wouldn't collapse under our feet.

So, to sum it up:
As an artist: I'll take anything. As long as it has a half-way functional sound system and a roof of some kind in case it rains, I'm good. Art gallery, dive bar, cafe terrace, I've done all that. Like I mentioned before, no great interest in "rock clubs", but if someone else is doing the organising, I'm in there too.

As an organizer: again, the type of venue doesn't matter so much, as long as the owners and whoever else I have to deal with are reliable, know what they are doing and don't try to change the rules mid-game. Anybody who says after the show, I want more money than what we agreed, I will never deal with again.

As an audience member: again, anything other than the dumbass 20th Cen "rock" scenario, where there are "stars" on stage and the audience on the floor, giving them adoration, money and sex.

ConcreteMascara

Short answer, and this is of real importance to me, I prefer any space that has a bathroom where I can peacefully take a shit if nature calls. Ideally there's multiple stalls so I don't have a line of drunk people pounding on the door while I drop one. And toilet seats on the toilets.

Longer answer to follow.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

drohen

I would enjoy going to a (preferably multi-day) festival. Lots of shows (possibly with both indoor and outdoor areas), workshops on techniques/gear, impromptu improv jams, and all the other stuff that comes with (well organised) festivals. I think there were/are a few "experimental" conference-esque festivals, most they went online the past few years. But they are also heavily curated to show only a snippet of the whole spectrum of acts and seem to go for about 2 days. I'd really like to see opportunities for both pros but also amateurs/newcomers to perform but also have spaces to just play stuff and jam, and not have it all based on a couple of organiser's specific tastes, the spectrum of noise is quite diverse now and I'd like to experience as much of it as possible over the course of 3-6 days. This is an ideal however, and takes a mammoth of resources and a great crew to organise something like that.

FLORIDA MAN

Florida has a long tradition of clandestine guerilla shows. A generator and an amp, under an overpass for example.
Those have a limited appeal to a very dedicated audience.

Eigen Bast

Living in the desert, we have some interesting options out here. A friend of mine (Steve Jansen) occasionally does "free jazz in the desert" gigs with Jeph Jerman where they're both playing unamplified out in the middle of nowhere. He's also big into using those tiny marshall battery powered amps for "quiet noise" gigs. Out at the Georgia O'Keefe center there's a massive natural ampitheater I always wanted to play at, though I'm guessing we'd get shut down by the folks who own the place. I do dream of renting the cabin at the Lightning Field (https://www.diaart.org/visit/visit-our-locations-sites/walter-de-maria-the-lightning-field) to record, but it's hard to predict when it's going to be "active" out there.

RE: the subway, I think Gas Chamber (powerviolence with some great noise sections) did a recording on a subway platform. Very cool idea.

In WA there was briefly a "noise breakfast" series going on up in Everett; my experience attending that was it was more ambient/performance art focused; picture a guy cross legged jamming on a synth with heavy reverb through a practice amp while folks eat potluck style. Kinda fun.

EyeSquared

Quote from: FLORIDA MAN on January 11, 2022, 07:10:08 PM
Florida has a long tradition of clandestine guerilla shows. A generator and an amp, under an overpass for example.
Those have a limited appeal to a very dedicated audience.

Can confirm. I've attended metal and noise shows in many great locations down here. My favorite being a generator show out in the Everglades.

There are tons of punk houses that throw shows, a few multimedia spaces, art museums, and even a former mortuary that was tuned into a venue for a brief period. Each of them had their own vibe that added to the overall experience.

PRISONFOOD

Quote from: Eigen Bast on January 11, 2022, 10:34:13 PM

In WA there was briefly a "noise breakfast" series going on up in Everett; my experience attending that was it was more ambient/performance art focused; picture a guy cross legged jamming on a synth with heavy reverb through a practice amp while folks eat potluck style. Kinda fun.

Can you please tell me more about these breakfasts? And spare no details please, drop names if possible.