PSYCHIC TV

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 28, 2021, 10:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

I have never been huge fan of PTV music. Basically it is such a gamble to even figure out what all are worth hearing for other than "historical reasons" so to say. Watched sun pillar emerge on horizon, and thought its good moment to start reading Abrahamsson's Sacred Intent book and put some random PTV playing.

Now couple interviews read from the book, and next is 10 years leap forward, all the way from late 80's to the year 2000. Interview being decent. First one of book, is from 1988 that was formerly published in first volume of Fenriz Wolf. Lots of interesting things there. Curious to see how things move on and change.

First interview in book has all those things why one often likes, but also may be "ahh.. GPO".. hah. Some things that may appear somewhat interesting and perhaps even revolutionary ideas years ago, now when you read it, seems dated. Television! VHS! New tribalism. Computers emerging. Government control machine tightening the grip. Yeah... but look at the world now, almost 35 years later, and a lot of things seems almost rather comfortable nostalgia than cutting edge revolutionary insights.

Of course many are guilty, often see myself to lean into same thing, is for example GPO's attitude of industrial music. His conclusion that TG presented industrial in certain way, and other people misunderstood it, since they do it the other way. The odd paradox that he'd underline how anything could be done, but when someone does something else than he has in mind right now, it is "misunderstood". Certainly, there is a difference and all developments were not good. At late 80's interview he seemed to be proudest of TG tracks that were closest to acid house -sound.

Instead of acid house sound, or psychedelic rock, I'd be interested in recommendations of noisiest, more abstract works of PTV. As said, never been big fan, and when randomly picking up, I tend to get stuff what I do not care for that much.
Now listened PTV after long time, and randomly picked up  Sugarmorphoses and it turns out to be pretty good album from 1994! Some tracks are really brilliant. Slave priest / priest slave could compete with any top heavy electronics/Pe things of era when this came out. Rites ov Reversal is something that makes me think of R&G, Schimpfuch Gruppe type of thing. Disburning animal sounds and minimal electronic sound. At the end of album you got a bit of hit & miss synth test sound type of stuff, but otherwise, decent. One day I was watching bunch of old PTV live tapes I have. Bought them long ago from Modern Music (PSF label) store when they were desperately trying to get rid of huge load of original PTV live tapes for 100jpy (c. 1usd) each, hah...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Zeno Marx

When I first got into experimental music, Psychic TV was a regular recommendation, and a decent amount of press gave them attention.  RE/Search Modern Primitives seemed to be everywhere I looked.  Of the few I tried, this was the best.  It's now a long-time favorite.  Not noisy.  Ritualistic.  Not cheesy with a genuine feel.

https://www.discogs.com/master/18323-Genesis-P-Orridge-And-Psychic-TV-Cold-Dark-Matter
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.