Josh Peterson

Started by accidental, December 19, 2021, 03:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

accidental

Recently discovered Missing due to FA and thanks to Scream & Writhe for selling it to me. Had never heard of the guy prior. Found out he has 50+ releases out during a 10 year span. Most limited to 10-25 copies. Good luck.

What have you heard? Thoughts? I only have the discogs descriptions, are those accurate or misleading?

Forward - Minimal heavy electronics     (this sounds like it would not interest me)
Modern - Musique concrete, tape noise, modern classical
Neurotic Force - PE     (what kind of PE? this seems like something i would not care for)
New Policies - Electronic/Abstract?
Sniper S-M - PE/Noise/Drone?     (not for me i suppose)
Repeater - ???
Missing
J. Peterson - ??? (i tried a little of Area of Refuge on bandcamp, that's all i know)

Could anyone elaborate more on the different projects?

W.K.

Great guy! I really should get in touch with him first before saying anything about his works. It's been a while.

I think a lot of his work is about the dark underbelly of society but also about the mundane of everyday life.

He also writes stuff, which can be found at Amphetamine Sulphate!
Straight murkin' riddim blud, absolute vile gash

Andrew McIntosh

Forward's "Heavy Electronics" is two pieces of very minimal electronic drone recorded to tape. If minimal drone is not your thing, it will do nothing for you but I'm very prone to it. "Static" is pretty much standard issue Wall Noise, although not as annoyingly dull as most. "Infinite Momentum-Infinite Tension", much the same, a lot sharper sound. Not my bag. Of the three I'll go for "Heavy Electronics" every time.

Modern's "Untitled", which comes with a series of collage artworks, matches the visuals as audio collage, site recordings and home electronic recordings put together in a methodical way. Very tape-hissy sound. I'd recommend it, worth tracking down - good if you like metal banging although it isn't trying to be Mania-style intense.

Missing is a continuation (it seems to me) of that type of sound making, but using more of a variety of sources, and tends to be quieter. More that kind of listening-to-something-in-the-next-flat type of audio collage. "C20" I like. "Granite City Blues" has longer pieces, a bit of spoken word here and there (which was something he got into later on, if I'm remembering right). "Internal Nature Revisited" is even sparser, using acoustic instruments. "Untitled" sounds a bit more higher fidelity recorded and mixed, and is very much audio collage - two longer tracks.

New Policies "Neutral Approach" is electronics again, but not so much sparse drones, there's more manipulating over the course of the pieces even though it's also slow, minimal and quiet. Lots of tape hiss.

Neurotic Force, "Anhedonism", pretty much along the same pattern although the first piece, "Lust for Decay", has that spoken word I was talking about - daily observations, he's pitched the voice track down a touch to give it a slower sound.

And I think that's all I've got (which are all digital files). I like Josh's audio work, I like his aesthetics, I was in touch with him for a while and found him a personable and reasonable chap, just wanting to do his thing. For the most part - stark, minimal, often considered and carefully constructed, nearly always low fi grubby, insisting that you meet it half way or not bother trying. Yea, he produced a lot of work in small doses and usually you'd have to have some contact with him to even have heard of it, but that's the underground.

Shikata ga nai.

Theodore

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on December 21, 2021, 12:45:11 PM
Neurotic Force, "Anhedonism", pretty much along the same pattern although the first piece, "Lust for Decay", has that spoken word I was talking about - daily observations, he's pitched the voice track down a touch to give it a slower sound.

I have everything from Neurotic Force except Anhedonism. Cant say i remember them all in detail, but there was a change in style started since Report & Recital -I have no memories at all from this, i count on Discogs- . I remember the first two tapes be 'pure' classic PE one side, the other side collage / spoken etc. - The last release, his live on tour released on Vanity Recordings is primitive raw PE as it can be. Piercing feedback and vocals.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

absurdexposition

I have the first Forward tape from a trade with Josh around the time it came out. I also have 'New Policies' under J. Peterson, and the private edition of Missing II (which also came with a manuscript version of what would become the 'Missing' chapbook on Amphetamine Sulphate, I think. EDIT: No, it's a publication of its own.). I haven't listened to any of them in some time and can't comment on the sound.

He'd asked for some Primitive Isolation Tactics material around the time of my first tape but seems to have moved away from any sort of label aspect (I know Violent Shogun also had a release slated for him). I was under the impression he was only going to focus on writing moving forward, but new releases keep coming out.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Euro Trash Bazooka

Quote from: absurdexposition on December 22, 2021, 03:56:17 PM

He'd asked for some Primitive Isolation Tactics material around the time of my first tape but seems to have moved away from any sort of label aspect (I know Violent Shogun also had a release slated for him). I was under the impression he was only going to focus on writing moving forward, but new releases keep coming out.

Actually, it was Cryptofascisme and not Violent Shogun that had a planned release through him. It's in the works 'ow, not through him though.

I haven't had any news from him for a few months now but he's been busy with writing and real life stuff for the most part. There's a bunch of unreleased material from him that exists as well, and what I've heard goes from very good to awesome. I think I have like 15-20 tapes from him, some private and some not. I haven't listened to them in a while but some are in my pile of stuff to listen to again so I may report back if I remember to do so when the time comes.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

Fistfuck Masonanie

The Adhuman collection that came out earlier this year is now a desert island release for me and is in desperate need of a repress. I've listened to it dozens of times and it creates a deeply personal narrative through a well-conceived spoken word and tape music lens. Highly refreshing and consistent artist.

As others have said, very friendly and open about his work and had a nice discussion with him earlier this year. I'm hoping some of the recent attention is having him rethinking stepping away from his musical endeavors, but I know his writing is now his main focus. Which reminds me I need to purchase those titles and others on Amphetamine...

Euro Trash Bazooka

Today I listened to an unnamed C20 from him called "Elegy", from 2016, and I'm not sure about which project of him it is anymore haha. My memory is hazy, it's not on Discogs, his blogspot is gone and he deleted his account on here so most info is gone as well. Slow tape loops, gentle metal clanging, field recordings, a bit busier than his usual material. Great stuff.

I've also spun the untitled Missing tape from 2018 that I believe was mentioned above. Field recordings, found sounds, quiet and nice audio collages that are really sparse. I love that stuff too.

DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

Theodore

Before his first book, he had also released some texts / booklets. Anyone remember how many and titles ? I have only one, title is "Narcisism" [?] or something like that. I have to locate it to re-read it. I remember liking it and thinking that i should had bought the others too. If anyone has any other and need the one i have, i am in for a trade, physical or even scans -if it's possible to be scanned without damaging it. I think it was. -
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

absurdexposition

Quote from: Theodore on December 30, 2021, 02:10:44 AM
Before his first book, he had also released some texts / booklets. Anyone remember how many and titles ?

I have 'Purchased Inspiration' from 2018. 48 pages, A4 size, stapled in top corner.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Theodore

Quote from: Theodore on December 30, 2021, 02:10:44 AM
Before his first book, he had also released some texts / booklets. Anyone remember how many and titles ? I have only one, title is "Narcisism" [?] or something like that. I have to locate it to re-read it.

Just found it. For information purposes, i confirm : Force Neurotic #3 - "Narcissism" - 2016. 12 A4 sheets, 24 pages, stapled at 3 points at the side, text only except front page.