Mix: Anti–Power Electronics

Started by tiny_tove, November 24, 2021, 12:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-NRRRRK-

Quote from: Zeno Marx on December 30, 2021, 06:28:30 PM
Voices get more confident and louder when they feel safe enough to express them.

And today everybody who is smart enough to sign up on twitter is used to be a "sender" and feels confident, that his or her voice is relevant and deserves to be heard.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: brutalist_tapes on December 29, 2021, 11:50:38 PM
i think that this idea that the recipient is the one who decides the works intent is a new one, and partly comes from post-modern theorizing, but i could be wrong. you could say that the time for those kinds of provokation are over, and i would kind of aggree.

I think times of provocations are definitely not over. There are perhaps couple ways to look at it. One fact is, that people ARE provoked. They are reacting to obscenities of noise even stronger than ever before. So time of provocations over? I doubt it.

I think any art is subject to speculation of intent, observation and questioning the meaning and purpose of the works. If art was to be as blatantly clear as carrying sign at demonstration, it wouldn't be "art" in same way. So viewer experiencing and seeing art(or PE) from their own perspective is just fine with me. I think this active thinking, actively seeking meaning, actively USING art, even in ways it was not meant to, has been crucial in industrial-noise. Its not like it would teach you what to think, but more as how to approach.

More relevant question would be is the reaction of audience something that artists wants it to be? Or is there any particular thing he wants?
It may be relevant question, if there really is some particular purpose or reason for mentioned art piece. If you try to achieve something in particular, but whatever is done, it appears that presenting obscenities has very little thoughtful response, and mostly just sharp division to:
-guys who will consumer whatever nasty that is regurgitated on their direction, simply taking it as-it-is.
-guys who will reject it as repulsive bullshit they want nothing to do with.

Then question will be, does it matter? If response for creation is something else than you hope for?
And also, can the artist handle the abuse, slander, "cancellation", "misunderstanding" that can wait? Or that the nuance and thought behind release is thrown out by both parties. The fanboys of vile shit, and the.. opposite?

I tend to think, when piece of art is thrown in public, it is really out of our hands. It's hard to dictate how it should be seen. And even more importantly, that power electronics makers have to be able to take this abuse and blame. If you don't have guts to be spat upon and "disliked", then better to things that people like. If you rather cherish opportunities on artists career, than making it all burn in bright light, there is option to stand in line. I don't know what exactly could be "achieved" in noise, if one is ready to sacrifice own vision and personality for it.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

-NRRRRK-

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 31, 2021, 12:32:58 PM
I think times of provocations are definitely not over. There are perhaps couple ways to look at it. One fact is, that people ARE provoked. They are reacting to obscenities of noise even stronger than ever before. So time of provocations over? I doubt it.

I'd second that, but if feels like the character of "provocation" and it's consequences shifted. There are a lot of people that feel provoked or challenged by art/culture/the weather today and they use the modern communication tools to voice their opinion. Everybody with a working smartphone is an "activist". But it seems to be a lot more relevant on a personal level then the "provocations" of the past which were more aimed at conventions of society. It seems to be a lot more fragmented. And at the same time the expression of feeling provoked is seen as a method of provocation too. At times it seems to be a method of identification to just be "against" something.

And then there seems to be the expectation of immediate change after voicing critique or concern that. There seems to be a lot less willingness of discussion and acceptance today. In which I see a great danger for art and culture, if people unlearn to stand opinions and viewpoints that may be opposed to their own. Funny thing that in a scene like PE, which is usually seen as intolerant and tough, there seems to be a lot more acceptance and tolerance, at least to a certain degree.

brutalist_tapes

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 31, 2021, 12:32:58 PM
Quote from: brutalist_tapes on December 29, 2021, 11:50:38 PM
i think that this idea that the recipient is the one who decides the works intent is a new one, and partly comes from post-modern theorizing, but i could be wrong. you could say that the time for those kinds of provokation are over, and i would kind of aggree.

I think any art is subject to speculation of intent, observation and questioning the meaning and purpose of the works. If art was to be as blatantly clear as carrying sign at demonstration, it wouldn't be "art" in same way. So viewer experiencing and seeing art(or PE) from their own perspective is just fine with me. I think this active thinking, actively seeking meaning, actively USING art, even in ways it was not meant to, has been crucial in industrial-noise. Its not like it would teach you what to think, but more as how to approach.

More relevant question would be is the reaction of audience something that artists wants it to be? Or is there any particular thing he wants?
It may be relevant question, if there really is some particular purpose or reason for mentioned art piece. If you try to achieve something in particular, but whatever is done, it appears that presenting obscenities has very little thoughtful response, and mostly just sharp division to:
-guys who will consumer whatever nasty that is regurgitated on their direction, simply taking it as-it-is.
-guys who will reject it as repulsive bullshit they want nothing to do with.

Then question will be, does it matter? If response for creation is something else than you hope for?
And also, can the artist handle the abuse, slander, "cancellation", "misunderstanding" that can wait? Or that the nuance and thought behind release is thrown out by both parties. The fanboys of vile shit, and the.. opposite?

I tend to think, when piece of art is thrown in public, it is really out of our hands. It's hard to dictate how it should be seen. And even more importantly, that power electronics makers have to be able to take this abuse and blame. If you don't have guts to be spat upon and "disliked", then better to things that people like. If you rather cherish opportunities on artists career, than making it all burn in bright light, there is option to stand in line. I don't know what exactly could be "achieved" in noise, if one is ready to sacrifice own vision and personality for it.
yeah, you hit the nail on the head with this one. i think that was what i was trying to say after a few beers hehe... that the reception of the provocation is very blunt, or as you say, not put under much scrutiny. people simply as you say either fetischize it or outright reject it, where before, in the context of extreme music in general, it seemed like there was some kind of analysis of extreme opinions/acts going on. that's why i said it was maybe kind of over, because i still feel like something could be archieved through provocation and of course noise should never be about pleasing the audience, but on the other hand, if people either outright reject the provocations or on the other side just accepts everything that is forbidden, maybe som engagement is lost? i would very much like to see people talking more about stuff instead of rejecting and ignoring. this goes for both sides. but yes, i very much agree with your post.

FreakAnimalFinland

I think this obvious and clearly visible reactions are not the only ones there are. There are people who may get interested in other levels, but it's unlikely that for example IG or twitter would be where that reaction is visible. It may be couple guys meeting up with beer, discussing Con-Dom, Genocide Organ new album, and ending up discussion with something that is perhaps not about the records, but clearly sparked by them.
We have no means to see and hear how audience, that may be hundred(s), or thousands, if not even tens of thousands, react on noise or PE.
What we CAN easily see, that most popular platforms are not favorable for that other type of inspiration to be seen by outsiders. I am 100% confident, and also know if for fact, that noise and p.e., is admired, appreciated and being thought provoking and eye opening, discussion-enabling substance. It simply requires that you got to be interested to be interested. You got to be ready to engage with art. Not expected to be spoon fed like child.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

brutalist_tapes

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 31, 2021, 06:29:14 PM
I think this obvious and clearly visible reactions are not the only ones there are. There are people who may get interested in other levels, but it's unlikely that for example IG or twitter would be where that reaction is visible. It may be couple guys meeting up with beer, discussing Con-Dom, Genocide Organ new album, and ending up discussion with something that is perhaps not about the records, but clearly sparked by them.
We have no means to see and hear how audience, that may be hundred(s), or thousands, if not even tens of thousands, react on noise or PE.
What we CAN easily see, that most popular platforms are not favorable for that other type of inspiration to be seen by outsiders. I am 100% confident, and also know if for fact, that noise and p.e., is admired, appreciated and being thought provoking and eye opening, discussion-enabling substance. It simply requires that you got to be interested to be interested. You got to be ready to engage with art. Not expected to be spoon fed like child.
well said and of course artists should never self-censure, that would probably be the worst outcome of all, but again, the people doing that were probably not that dedicated in the first place. good point about never really knowing the reception of ones work, not that it should influence the work anyway, but nice perspective and it is very true yes. i have had countless of these discussions with friends. cheers!