tidying up your collection?

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, September 05, 2021, 11:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

I recall there has been some discussion on "completism" before, and may have crossed over with this.

For those who buy physical media, do you get rid of stuff or tend to just.. keep it?

Has it changed in recent years?

Does this change effect on how careful you are buying something?
I recall one friend concluding he prefers to buy LP, for sake of re-sale value. Generic 2nd hand black metal cd would be worth very little, but LP could be at least half of what you paid for, sometimes even more valuable than it was when you bought it.

I don't really relate at all to this attitude as if music is "investment", financially speaking.

It appears as if 2nd hand market has changed rapidly.

It seems as if "golden age" of private individuals both buying and selling their collections was some years ago. Postage rates, censorship/restrictions, all sorts of technical nonsense was on level that you could basically send out items globally. Now in many countries postage rates are too high to really justify buying cheap LP or cheap CD. With shipping included, price becomes so near of top-wanted hot item, that selling items that aren't that wanted is probably difficult? And on other side, the price tags of wanted stuff seem to have barely any sense.

Ebay basically ended(?) when discogs was popularized. Also a lot of physical stores disappearing, and you could no longer drop your excess to be someone else's problem.

A lot of people I knew, were annoyed about discogs policy changes, and simply either removed their items for sale (myself included) and some restricted sales only to domestic sales.

How, where, one "cleans up" the collection from stuff that is not wanted anymore? Is it easier to just keep the stuff, even if you would not listen it - until there becomes problems with lack of space?

I usually tend to like what I take to my own collection, and it is very small % of what goes back into circulation. Advantage for me is running both physical store and mailorder, process of re-selling is as simple as putting items on shelves of store. There are some items that was being listened this year and felt like no point putting it back to my own shelves. Just put it in 2nd hand records of store. For a lot of people situation is far more difficult, and the most horrid stories I have been told, is the simplest and easiest solution of just... throwing stuff to dumpster. If there is merely ton of work and effort, throwing stuff away as means of making space suddenly is most realistic way of doing it, huh...

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Goat93

Everything too dusty i resell or trade after a while.

ZT

I recently went through my whole collection to see what I wanted to keep. Or rather what I'm still too emotionally attached to to be able to get rid of. Just set an arbitrary limit for myself: keep 4 shelves of LPs.
Tried selling off the rest by sending lists to some record stores but the price I was offered was so low that it took me a couple of weeks, or a month, to amount to that on Discogs and still have hundreds of records up for sale. But I'm just so tired of owning a bunch of shit.

Selling on eBay seems dead except for bootlegs or really rare/expensive records. And I hate that you can't sell boots on Discogs.
Can't see a reason to sell via eBay since mostly everybody uses Discogs to see what a fair price would be and then it's just easier to have the sale there as well.
Hated the Discogs shipping shit at first but after half-assedly setting it up I actually think it's ok. Even though I hate that they forced it upon everyone.

The obvious impact has also been that it's been harder to find bargains since most stores use Discogs to set their prices as well. So the only reason to buy records in stores would be that you didn't have to pay the shipping...

Hardest thing was to decide what to keep/sell. Especially in the conflicts when you decide to keep one record but sell another and compare the 2 records. For example I like 'Kuknacke' more that NMAs 'Impurity', but still the first one is in the selling bin.

Quitting the collecting is weird. Since I have a hard time convincing myself to buying digital releases. Even if it would only be to support the artist.

I for sure was more careful what I was picking up the last year of collecting. Maybe since it was a gradual thing, but also since I didn't want to have records just collecting dust. Either deciding after listening to it beforehand or by a recommendation of someone who's taste I trust. I don't know how many times I've picked up records at shows, listened to them 2-3 times and then just forgotten about them.
Never bought stuff for the re-sale value. Isn't that what the whole Record Store Day shit is about? Seems like a whole manifestation of the investment type of record collectors.

Zeno Marx

Has anyone in a larger city tried to have a private sale out of their garage, or on a table in front of their house, once a month etc, putting up a flyer at local record stores (or outside record stores ala the ol' telephone pole or hand out a flyer at a show or walk around a show with a flyer pinned to a backpack as a walking billboard) to sell their collection?  If someone can run ads via social media when they have a garage sale, I wouldn't see a problem running a collection-focused garage sale.  A pop-up store.  It might take a little legwork at first, but I would assume you could quickly develop a local customer base if you ran periodic sales.  Larger collections would be a hassle to try to sell all at once, so piecing it out would make it manageable.  Or sell out of a car trunk at shows and get the word out before hand?  Setting up a table at shows?
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

cr

I never got rid of any item of my collection, altough I maybe should have. Until 3 years ago, I lived in a house with my then girlfriend and her parents, and I got a room in the cellar just for my own. I could listen to music and noise whenever I wanted and how loud I wanted. I now live in an apartement in a house with seven another roommates in other appartements. Right now I don't have the place for all my records and books, and it's becoming a bit of an annoying mess. But still, I like to have records in physical form, and not digital. Some of my friends don't really get this, their problem, I guess, at least for me.
I for sure have some records, that I could sell for really high price, but that's not something I'm interested in. I like to listen to them, whenever I have the feel that I want to. There's no amount someone could ever pay me for a record that's absolutely important for me on a very personal level. And there are a lot...
Sorry for bad English and bit of exaggeration.
But I would be glad to read other thoughts on the theme.

impulse manslaughter

I go through my collection about once a year. Mostly to check if any records need to be replaced by better copies or original pressings, etc. I filtered my collection a few years ago to get rid of the stuff I really do not like but sometimes I still see a record that annoys somehow and I put it up for sale or give it to a friend. The sleeve usually make the difference; an ugly sleeve and mediocre music is worse than the other way around in my world. I'm mainly a collector of 7"s (about 3500 in the collection right now). Had new shelves custom made last year with room for about 1000 more so lack of space is not an issue. This makes it easier to decide keeping all of them. I also have a few shelves of LP's and 2 closets full of cd's. I go through them also sometimes, mainly to check if any jewel cases need to be replaced.

Theodore

I collect tapes basically. It's 2 years now that i always say i ll start selling some in batches but still i dont do ! I have thought about it, why, and how my approach will be. That there are no taboo / fetish items and that -almost- everything has its price, though i wont do it "Here is my collection. Make offers for anything" but with small 'balanced' batches of stuff. Balance of stuff i care or not, rare or not, etc. Reason for this is not to save space, neither to make money, but to refund new purchases. Recycling. If i cant get something 'equally' good, then i am gladly staying with these i have. - I also support the idea of rare stuff changes hands after some reasonable time. After all, if you dont let yours go, how you expect others to let theirs ?

But something stops me. For some reason i cant let stuff go without 'keeping' its audio first. And it's not only for releases i like i feel this way. Pretty much for everything ! Since starting to digitize tapes systematicaly is time consuming and i am boring to do, my selling plans are always postponed for the future. Meanwhile if i see anyone looking for a release i have, i discuss it.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Goat93

actualy that brings the question, how do you all have the time to listen to the stuff several times?

moozz

Quote from: Goat93 on September 06, 2021, 11:29:17 AM
actualy that brings the question, how do you all have the time to listen to the stuff several times?

I listen to everything minimum two times (often 3-4) in the beginning before I add it to the collection. A few records I already put on sale after these initial listening rounds. When I am on the move (traveling, hiking, at the gym) I always listen to a selection of older stuff. There are records in my collection that I have not listened to for more than 10 years but I am not in a hurry. Usually I pick records to listen if they fall into one of these 3 criteria:
1) It is something great I feel like listening to at that moment.
2) It is something I have not listened to a long time.
3) It is something I think I might not get a huge kick from anymore and could possibly get rid of.
The third one is a good way to keep my collection not just an archive of records I have bought during the years but a collection of records that have some importance to me. I used to keep albums that had one or two great songs but the rest nothing special but nowadays I tend to get rid of those as well. Same with splits with one good side and one bad. If the good side is especially fantastic then I might have to rethink my strategy :)

cantle

I'm a hoarder- I keep everything... although I've slowed down the rate of acquisition

Into_The_Void

I´m actually in that phase of "cleaning/trimming" of my collection, basically because I went through different phases in my life, where I used to compulsively buy all the new releases of this or that genre and focus myself only on that genre (including noise / industrial), and after a while slowly experiencing a lack of interest which brought me to accumulate lots of stuff which I didn´t really listen that much (due to slow or temporary lack of interest or to time) but I still used to keep.
Now I realized that I don´t have that much time to listen to all the stuff I don´t know and I decided to purchase less and also cut some stuff in my collection. Is hard to go through the lower or higher attachment one can have to every single item in its collection, it´s not very automatic for me and sometimes I need a bit and some repeated listen before deciding I really want to get rid of that item. But it´s also extremely satisfying to resell some stuff you purchased just "on the rush of the moment" for some (sometimes a lot) money and re-finance your new acquisitions in that way.

https://sabruxa.bandcamp.com/ (Industrial / ambient)

acsenger

For a long time I basically wanted to have as large a collection as possible, so I bought a lot of stuff. Then, some years ago my attitude started to change as I realised that a) I actually don't like that much music (both in terms of genres and musicians/bands) and b) I don't have that much time to listen to music (since I only listen to music on my hi-fi and don't work from home). So for a while now I've been buying less: I think carefully before any potential purchase and also listen to samples or the whole release in advance, and more often than not I come to the conclusion that I don't need the given release.
I'm also halfway through trimming my collection. I've gone through my CDs and tapes and have quite significantly reduced their quantity. I took items I wasn't sure about keeping and listened to them to see if I still needed them. The answer mostly turned out to be no. Most of the stuff I purged I actually didn't mind listening to, but they were either not outstanding or I was no longer interested in that genre, so there was no point in keeping them. I still have my vinyl collection to trim, and I'm sure there'll be a lot of releases I won't be needing any more.
So my aim for a while now has been to have a collection that's fairly small but consists of quality items. The goal is for it to be a size where I can listen to everything with reasonable frequency. I think after thinning my vinyls, my collection will comprise around 1000 items. It'll keep growing, but slowly. Of course, maybe even 1000 items will prove too many, but we'll see.
I have a friend who probably has around 6500-7000 items in his collection, and he keeps buying stuff like there's no tomorrow. I basically used to be like him, but now I consider collecting like that a pointless waste of money and space, just collecting for the sake of it: you simply can't listen to that many releases (at least I can't, and neither can he), and I don't like that much music to the extent that I'd be willing to spend money on it anyway.
As for the stuff I no longer want to keep, I put it up for sale on Discogs. Luckily the mandatory shipping policies were surprisingly easy to set up for my country. I realise there are a couple hundred releases I will only be able to sell over a long period of time and a lot of it I'll actually never sell, but I have no other options besides Discogs.
I've never bought anything with a resale value in mind. That has never even crossed my mind.

Atrophist

I'm not especially collector minded. I originally got into noise/power electronics through live events, and to this day physical media remain secondary to that. I mostly get tapes/CDS through trades. I listen to everything I get at least once or twice, but rarely get attached to any particular thing.

CannibalRitual

I brutally tidied up my collection like 10 years ago. By that time I had stopped all my underground activities for a while and also had plenty of left-over stuff from my dead mailorder. All those boxes full of shit were always getting in the way and I had to move them from one corner to the other due to limited space. So one day just couldn't take it anymore and threw it all away including parts of my personal collection that I thought I would never need again. Same as my VHS collection which took away too much space. Even old band/recording equipment and shit and some of that has been in miserable condition anyway. Really, I could have opened up my own landfill site...

Obviously, when I got back with my activities like 2 years later I did regret some of that stuff missing. Occasionally I still order few things here and there, and I'm still doing trades, but after all I'm not that collector guy anymore. These days I don't even have time to listen to vinyl anymore, so I wish a lot of my records (that I ironically had purchased to replace CD versions) were rather on CD (or even just digital versions) instead. So it's probably just matter of time before more of my vinyl is getting sold. I figured it's just a bit of a hassle to put it up on discogs and judge the exact condition, some people are very picky here. Other stuff doesn't sell at all so could just dump it either way.

Andrew McIntosh

I just gave away tons of stuff to friends, and what I couldn't give a way I just dumped. Fuck it. Just made up my mind that I didn't want a whole lot of shit and didn't care what happened to it. It's just plastic and cardboard anyway. World's already choking on it so it hardly matters. People get too precious about objects, especially in this scene. It's ridiculous.

Some people are just born collectors, I suppose. I used to live next door to a couple like that. I remember helping them move - they had an entire room you couldn't get into because it was just so full of shit. I'm of the view that the line between "collector" and hoarder is thinner than most might feel comfortable with.
Shikata ga nai.