The Kali Ensemble CD (Sky Burial + Umpio)

Started by phagetapes, March 23, 2011, 07:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phagetapes

http://www.discogs.com/Kali-Ensemble-The-Kali-Ensemble/release/2619479

PT:113 TA578 The Kali Ensemble CD
The Kali Ensemble is a duo of Mike Page (Sky Burial, F/I/T/H, Irukandji) and Pentii Dassum (Umpio).  This disc contains 2 33:33 minute tracks of industrial metal clanging, ambient atmospheres and creepy synth work. The style/personality of each member really comes through in each track of this collaboration and provide an interesting combination of their viewpoints.  Check out the samples so you can hear what it sounds like and i dont have to sound any more like a dumb ass trying to come up with a crazy description of the compositions.

Edition of 500 copies in jewel cases
Co-Released by Phage Tapes and Turgid Animal

Page Vs Dassum sample 1

Page Vs Dassum sample 2

Page Vs Dassum sample 3

Dassum Vs Page sample 1

Dassum Vs Page sample 2

Dassum Vs Page sample 3

Order from phage tapes
12$in NA and 14$ worldwide
paypal address: phagetapes at yahoo dot com

Order from turgid animal
http://www.mutant-ape.co.uk/

Niko

www.obscurex.org Noise, Power Electronics, Industrial & Experimental Label.

Andrew McIntosh

Samples do sound promising. But it doesn't seem listed on the Turgid Animal site yet, that I could find; even the search function couldn't find it.
Shikata ga nai.

phagetapes

George is working like a mad man and will be getting it up on the site very soon.   

phagetapes

all orders hit the post office yesterday.   

im looking forward to hearing what people think when they start getting their copy. 

phagetapes

in case people dont read the reviews section -

Review by Andrew McIntosh

THE KALI ENSEMBLE, self titled, cd
Phage Tapes/Turgid Animal, 2011

A collaborative recording between Mike Page and Pentii Dassum and a collaborative release between Phage and Turgid Animal. Featuring two lengthy, 33.33 minute spirals where, I'm guessing, each artist takes sounds from the other and composes them (not sure I like this "versus" thing that some collaborations claim to be, in this case "Page vs Dassum" and "Dassum vs Page"; surely they are collaborating, not conflicting?). Both tracks called "The Seven Tounges", I & II respectively.

The first piece has a great deal of change to it over it's duration, making it more like a compilation of pieces strung out into one. Fortunately, there is a deft hand at composition involved, giving continuity to the diversity. Starting with a slow but raging Noise of metal and electronics it winds it's way through the different passages, invoking electronic storms in the clouds of gas giant planets, flanged drones, metallic rhythms...to describe in any detail the actual sounds would, in a way, take something from the potential listener in that there is something of a narrative that should be experienced more directly.
  The second piece is somewhat slower and more muted in scope and sound, preferring dark rumbles, winding softness, echoed clanging metal and electronic pulses, all eschewing the dynamics of the first piece in favour of a tempered sound that is no less engaging or, in fact, diverse than the first piece. Again, there is a continuity that suggests narrative and certainly allows the mind to move from place to place within the sounds.
  The recording quality is excellent, very crisp and allowing of detail. In the case of the second piece and the more abrupt parts of the first, there is no loss in impact (either abrupt or darkly grimey) with the production. The sound fits the music well. And compliments must also be paid to the packaging; the dark-skinned manifestation of Durga (and appropriate sacrifice) simply and elegantly presented. Everything about this album fits; there are no sparse moments with the sound, no loss of revelry and imagining, and the concept is given a free-er reign in the sound. This is an homage, not a representation, although representation must be a part of the homage, but to my mind there are other ideas coming in that can perhaps touch lightly on the worship of Kali but can also expand elsewhere. The composition and choice of sounds, however, remain supreme above other aspects. A well built and well presented duo of sometimes aggressive, sometimes sinister, always dark, Industrial-inspired modern music.

ProgeriaYouth

Finally got these online on the Turgid Animal website for all European customers.

www.Turgid-Animal.co.uk
www.Turgid-Animal.co.uk
www.Turgid-Animal.co.uk
www.Turgid-Animal.co.uk
Noise Label: http://www.turgid-animal.co.uk
Black Metal Label: http://www.legion-blotan.co.uk
Email: George.Proctor AT Gmail DOT com