'Annihilating Noise' book available now

Started by Mr Klang, March 20, 2021, 06:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLIAT

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on April 01, 2021, 08:48:15 PM
Intent has to be a key concern, as without it many clearly different things would end up collapsing into one vague unity
.  I wonder whether throwing the status of art onto the listener necessitates art becoming a social construct, though.  It might just be a broadening of potential venues for aesthetic experience to go beyond what is recognized as "art" in society?

I'm changing my mind over this, what if "things" had intrinsic qualities regardless of intent. Music is a good example - 'harmony' is intrinsic, harmonics existed way before humans. And so would then diss-harmony.... noise?

Is it 'intent' then that makes something 'Art'? I'm not sure.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: JLIAT on April 02, 2021, 12:18:25 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on April 01, 2021, 08:48:15 PM
Intent has to be a key concern, as without it many clearly different things would end up collapsing into one vague unity
.  I wonder whether throwing the status of art onto the listener necessitates art becoming a social construct, though.  It might just be a broadening of potential venues for aesthetic experience to go beyond what is recognized as "art" in society?

I'm changing my mind over this, what if "things" had intrinsic qualities regardless of intent. Music is a good example - 'harmony' is intrinsic, harmonics existed way before humans. And so would then diss-harmony.... noise?

Is it 'intent' then that makes something 'Art'? I'm not sure.

I can't say that I am sure either.  It makes sense to say that things have some intrinsic qualities.  Take, for instance, an anatomical drawing from a medical textbook and compare it with an artist's realistic sketch of the same body part.  I guess, in a way, the "thing itself" would be identical in each case.  But we tend to value the latter as a work of art because it was made with the intent of it being art (or at least in the service of art).

To bring it back to noise, I can think of a few cases where the sound of a car is sampled (and not altered) in a noise/power electronics track.  If you want to ask a mechanic friend about whether your car sounds like it is running fine, you might make an identical recording to share with them.  But only the first of these recordings would seem to be art even though the "noise" would be the same in both cases.

This brings to mind, for me, the question of what changes in a given recording that is pulled from the news or some other documentary project, and then put into a track.  IS it no longer documentation?  It has to remain documentation in some sense, otherwise it would add nothing in most cases.

At the same time, though, emphasizing the role of intent might produce some "art" pieces that could be reasonably said to go beyond what might rightly be called art (though this leaves the definition of art ambiguous).

W.K.

What would be your the final or conclusive opinion of the book JLIAT? Did you like it now you've read it? Or are the different chapter to different to each other to give a overall verdict on the book?
Straight murkin' riddim blud, absolute vile gash

JLIAT

Quote from: W.K. on April 04, 2021, 10:56:06 PM
What would be your the final or conclusive opinion of the book JLIAT? Did you like it now you've read it? Or are the different chapter to different to each other to give a overall verdict on the book?

Overall -lacked addressing the title.

To be a brief as possible, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone interested in noise music, either from little knowledge or having a keen interest. Though the genre for some covers industrial, power electronics and harsh noise and harsh noise wall, the latter two are IMO sufficiently different, and Hegarty does make that point, i.e. the lack of meaning and even expression. The chapter on tape missing the resurgence of the cassette, there were other omissions, RRR records, Troniks, Hospital Records, No Fun fest ... etc. Many of the chapters were recycled papers so in cases lacked relevance, though the one on Dante and Black Metal was interesting, those on Joy Division and Organum for me lacked relevance. Being an academic working in the humanities is difficult these days. So chapters covering race, gender and ecology are to be expected, as is the pressure to be published as universities get funding on that basis. The final chapter could have been the first, it tackling the seeming real or actual terminus of Noise in Harsh Noise Wall. And perhaps unfortunate as being written prior to the pandemic and its effects on culture as well as the recent political events.

Perhaps the title offered the idea of noise as something essentially nihilistic, which maybe isn't the sort of thing people want, and so was not central in the book.

I'd say a book with something like these topics? Any thoughts?

1. Brief history – From The Art of Noise to Vomir.
2. Methods, equipment, recording,  packaging, distribution, performances, merch, zines, blogs and forums.
3. World, flavours – Japanese, European, American, Asia and Australasia...
4. Links with other Arts, politics, life styles.
5. Problems with Definitions & Theory.
6. The Future?

theotherjohn

Appreciate your readings, summaries and thoughts on this book JLIAT, even if ultimately it's not a book I would find myself wanting to read! Kudos to you for slogging your way through it.

This forthcoming philosophy book from Urbanomic looks like an even more impenetrable read, which I suppose is apt for a book about noise... https://www.urbanomic.com/book/irreversible-noise/

JLIAT

Quote from: theotherjohn on April 05, 2021, 03:30:14 PM
Appreciate your readings, summaries and thoughts on this book JLIAT, even if ultimately it's not a book I would find myself wanting to read! Kudos to you for slogging your way through it.

This forthcoming philosophy book from Urbanomic looks like an even more impenetrable read, which I suppose is apt for a book about noise... https://www.urbanomic.com/book/irreversible-noise/

Hi

I was aware of this upcoming from Inigo Wilkins, i met him at a noise 'thing' @ University of Kent organised by Amanda Beech - another of Urbanomic
authors - and Ray Brassier in Glasgow.

I'll try to resist it but doubt I will. These kind of books are a bit like a drug... I blame the French!  

"The central aim of this pioneering critical work is to demystify noise"    Cough!

"to counter the neoliberal politics of self-organising systems and the tendency to fetishize indeterminacy in contemporary art—by showing how constrained randomness is intrinsic to the functional organisation of complex hierarchically nested systems, including higher cognition, and how the navigation of noise is a necessary condition of reason and consequently of freedom."

IOW - shit happens - and sometimes its useful.   ;-)

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: theotherjohn on April 05, 2021, 03:30:14 PM

This one sounds really interesting (though I can't say that I completely understood even the summary).

JLIAT

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on April 05, 2021, 06:35:00 PM

This one sounds really interesting (though I can't say that I completely understood even the summary).

You might then be interested in his Phd paper which explores randomness.... free download

Irreversible Noise: The Rationalisation of Randomness and the Fetishisation of Indeterminacy

Cultural Studies PhD Candidate: Inigo Wilkins
Submission Date: 07/12/15
Goldsmiths, University of London,
Centre for Cultural Studies.
Supervisor: Dr. Luciana Paris

Overview

http://research.gold.ac.uk/id/eprint/19354/

Paper

https://research.gold.ac.uk/id/eprint/19354/1/CUL_thesis_WilkinsI_2016.pdf

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: JLIAT on April 06, 2021, 10:50:56 AM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on April 05, 2021, 06:35:00 PM

You might then be interested in his Phd paper which explores randomness.... free download

Irreversible Noise: The Rationalisation of Randomness and the Fetishisation of Indeterminacy

Cultural Studies PhD Candidate: Inigo Wilkins
Submission Date: 07/12/15
Goldsmiths, University of London,
Centre for Cultural Studies.
Supervisor: Dr. Luciana Paris

Overview

http://research.gold.ac.uk/id/eprint/19354/

Paper

https://research.gold.ac.uk/id/eprint/19354/1/CUL_thesis_WilkinsI_2016.pdf

Thank you for this, it sounds very similar to his book.  It looks like I have some reading to do!