Impact of lack of live shows?

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, February 03, 2021, 08:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Anyone having feelings that would be good to get back on doing live shows. As guest or performer.
Personally, located in Finland, basically before 2005 or so, noise gigs were very very rare to happen in first place. It was more like annual thing. I guess it has been only 10 years, when Finnish noise activity really started to flourish and after EST, F&V, Obscurex and so on one after another started to organize gig (followed by more people later on, around the country).

So basically, for guy of my age, situation now, is like norm, what it was like 15-20 years ago. No gigs in sight. Idea of international festival taking place, almost unreachable. For younger people it might feel... unusual void of "nothing happening"?

There is specific energy in live gigs and festivals, that is not replicated by talking online, or meeting local friends etc. Pretty much without exception, any relevant gig or fest spawns other things, fuels the action. It may also concretize the "interest" (or lack of it) what is towards work one does. Unlike in music scene, were people tend to moan about lack of opportunities to make income or travel, in context of noise that is barely relevant. To me lack of live shows seems more about seeing how crucial face-to-face meeting with some of the key players and other guys in general, may have effect. Not that noise would be depending of social interaction, yet it probably does have impact.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

TS

Nothing much has been happening in Oslo for the last few years anyway, nothing on the nastier side of industrial anyway. So on that front nothing much has changed. Looking forward to getting back to Finland, UK, etc. This pandemic has made me think more about the importance of showing up for shit that's actually good though.
Kropper uten Mellomrom

NaturalOrthodoxy

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on February 03, 2021, 08:37:34 AM
For younger people it might feel... unusual void of "nothing happening"?

Pretty much. I could probably count on my fingers the amount of actual noise shows I've been to. The few shows that I've played have certainly been helpful in confirming to me that the effort I put into my project is worthwhile- meeting people who actually seem aware of the project or people who seem to dig it. Would be nice to have that opportunity again at some point.

cantle

Don't think I've been to a noise show in the UK since Termite Club stopped organising stuff in Leeds... I should rectify that when the situation allows it.

ConcreteMascara

I've definitely felt the lack of live shows over the past year. It was especially noticeable after 2019 in which I played more shows in one year than all others combined (touring helped), which really got my creative motor running in overdrive. For me, playing live is a nice way to sharpen my tools but also try new things in an environment where you're supposed to be loud as fuck. Also seeing what other people are doing and how they're doing it is a nice reminder that many people have very disparate approaches, i.e. there's more than one way to skin a cat. It's also an essential reminder that other artists aren't just nerds behind the computer screen, they're flesh and blood. Still nerds mostly, but it's always nice to have face to face conversations with people who already share such a galvanizing common interest. Noise shows are like AA meetings, every person in attendance matters in a sense. I've missed being in basements with electrical hazards and black mold, or warehouse spaces or weird art spaces with people I'd never meet otherwise. You get to see places and meet people you never would playing and attending shows. I think I'm a relatively social person at heart so I miss it.

Having played a show or two every year for the last 12 and attended many more each year, I'm really missing it! I've certainly saved some money by not flying to Europe or around the US to play gigs, but I'd rather be doing it than not. The only upside has been more free time to work on label activities, but I wish I could be selling the fruits of my labor face to face at gigs than online.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Eigen Bast

It's been rough. I miss traveling for "big shows" and fests. It's a great way to catch up with friends "in the scene" and meet likeminded folks.  Also, as much as I dig recording solo, live is where you get to do the real wigged out extremely loud shit. The scene here in NM was really picking up just prior to COVID lockdown; lots of newcomers getting their feet wet, old timers returning to town and getting people psyched up. Noise shows were pulling 30+ people a night. Hopefully in a few months once enough of us are vaxxed people can start hitting that release valve again. I am worried about DIY venues though; I know a lot of folks who had to pull the plug because they couldn't get any kind of relief money.

Thinking about it, I think the last thing I had tickets for was Genocide Organ in Oakland, last April I think? Jeezus! Glad Hospital Fest was able to happen at least.

W.K.

Well at least now I want to set up my own shows. That is, if we have any venues left after all is over.
Straight murkin' riddim blud, absolute vile gash

cosmonaut

Quote from: W.K. on February 03, 2021, 08:37:04 PM
Well at least now I want to set up my own shows after this is all over. That is, if we have any venues left. 

here in Milan at least (but I think elsewhere in Europe too) a shitload of soulless bars and bad restaurants will go bankrupt, so my hope is that there's going to be plenty of opportunity for new venues. including, I hope, some daring enough to host HN or PE nights.

deviated_septum

I still have the overarching feeling that when the vaccine hits critical mass in most places, there'll be a weird flood of almost too much going on, albeit that's probably still at least a year or two out. Coming from a background of playing in hardcore/grindcore bands, I thought to myself the other day that "I'll never sit outside during some terrible opener again," hahaha.

holy ghost

Going to shows and playing in bands are my primary social outlet - I definitely miss that aspect of seeing friends - as I get older it's harder to connect with people as work/marriage/responsibilities creep in - but I also really miss just being pummelled by volume and seeing a couple of assholes twist knobs or grind away. 

However I've also come to realize that shows are also disgusting in a lot of ways. How receptive am I going to be to stand next to a bunch of smelly assholes breathing their disgusting breath into my beer and being in enclosed spaces with twenty other people (maybe 30 if the show ends early!). I am sort of joking but also not joking as well. I have spent a year on the frontlines in health care settings and after a year of not getting sick - at all - I reckon it'll have to be something pretty special to get me out of the house. I'm half serious here. Will I ever go to see Iron Maiden again? Will I venture into some dank basement crammed with people for some grind show? I honestly don't know. I got vaccinated earlier than most and I still don't feel even the slightest bit more confident about things.

HateSermon

Although it's usually the 10-12 usual suspects who attend shows here, I do miss the camaraderie and conversations. Some of those dudes are hermits so you really only see them unless there is live activity. I also just miss massive sound in general. The other day I threw on one of my own tape loops and cranked my amp just to feel/hear something "live". As for performing, I guess this down time has allowed me more time to focus on performance aspect of playing live... I've been able to work on a video projection for whenever the next show is.

Into_The_Void

In my home town (Cagliari, in Sardinia / Italy) the situation was never particularly flourishing for what concerns extreme music shows (including extreme electronic music). There are few individuals who organize some very sporadic stuff and other people trying to run alternative locations to host such shows. For sure Covid made the whole situation pretty harder.

Here in Berlin the lack of shows is, of course, way more noticeable. In the last years there has been a good continuity in industrial / noise / power electronic shows, thanks to few dedicated individuals like Metzger Therapie, Daniel from Jugendwerkhof or the huge work made by Brett / Total Black. Since the beginning of the pandemics Berlin radically changed his face (and, for a certain aspect, dismissed a little bit the fancier face and shown her very true one), but the hope is that from this actual stasis comes out something more fresh and more proper spaces dedicated to the underground music.
https://sabruxa.bandcamp.com/ (Industrial / ambient)

Grübelschlinge

After moving to Berlin I reached point in 2018/19 where I was almost fed up with going to live shows, because so much were happening and all these "hipster" infiltrating gigs. I remember in 2019 when I went to Hospital showcase at Berghain I stumbled into ultra regular people who where on honeymoon holiday and were just happy to get into Berghain because you could buy a ticket online. Nowadays with zero happening of course I miss the energy of LOUD music!

Stipsi

Quote from: cosmonaut on February 03, 2021, 08:40:37 PM
Well at least now I want to set up my own shows after this is all over. That is, if we have any venues left. 
I hope so!
here in Milan at least (but I think elsewhere in Europe too) a shitload of soulless bars and bad restaurants will go bankrupt, so my hope is that there's going to be plenty of opportunity for new venues. including, I hope, some daring enough to host HN or PE nights.
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

-NRRRRK-

Well at least now I want to set up my own shows. That is, if we have any venues left after all is over.

Thought about the same. There is no "scene" here or anywhere near for noise or pe, maybe some people might be interested in experimental music.
But after this is over I might just give it a try to find a line-up and set up a show.