Noise tributes?

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, January 19, 2021, 04:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Curious subject of: NOISE TRIBUTES!
I can think right now, from top of my head, there exists tributes to: MSBR, OVMN, TG, atrax morgue, Incapacitants, The Haters, The New Blockaders, Merzbow,... hmm more?

Was listening 1995 tribute CD to Hanatarash! Stomach Ache records, with impressive line-up including Macronympha, Emil Beaulieau Speculum Fight, Lee Ronaldo, and many more. Good rugged and fierce, yet funny noise from many artists out there, doing way more justice for Hanatarash than RRR's tribute to TG did for industrial musikkk!

What is curious with this, is that it is basically like re-creation of 2nd album, from 1988. Merely 7 years after album was published. So nowadays... when was the most recent noise tribute to some noise band? It seems as if time goes somewhat faster? Or that artists are less "mythical", more just... guys like rest of us? You know, tribute re-make of 7 year old album now? That's like 2014? So... remake of some 2014 album? Haha... seems like practical joke! Artist would be like ... "come on guys! Leave me alone!"

But if 2021 would emerge new tribute album for noise masters...  I know he would object, but my vote would be Con-Dom! Or... Emil Beaulieau tribute would be nearly meta-tribute to his source sounds...

Does tributes to "noise artist" really make sense. Should senselessness be obstacle?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

burdizzo1

I always assumed "Hengellisiä Lauluja" by Pain Nail was a tribute to Con-Dom's "Jesus Army"?!! Only a little bit better...
I also remember a tribute tape to Whitehouse released by Impulse, many years ago, along with a book of Whitehouse interviews.
Surprised there hasn't been some sort of tribute to Genocide Organ?

holy ghost

Not a tribute to an artist but one "tribute" album I absolutely love is "Doctor Who Vs. The Noise" CD-R on The Institute for Organic Conversations label. Dilloway, Pulse Emitter, Wilt plus a bunch of others.

I'm an unabashed Fourth Doctor fanatic so this comp hits just right. Great execution, packaging etc. Frankly I've always dreamed of doing a Volume II just so I could contribute (haha?).

NaturalOrthodoxy

I think I'd sooner enjoy a noise tribute to a non-noise artist. Obvious choices would be stuff like Death In June if we're thinking about non-noise artists that are influential to noise people. But as with the above Doctor Who tribute, I'd enjoy going even weirder. Noise tribute to Tom Waits? Nick Cave? Wu Tang Clan? Morrissey? There was that Sick Seed covers tape that covered Billie Holliday which was, uh, disturbing.

To build on Mikko's original point, I think Nil By Mouth did do a Con-Dom tribute that featured Am Not and STAB Electronics among others. I know there's an incredible cover of Behind The Wall that Am Not did accompanied by fantastic visuals on his YouTube page.

Given how new I am to noise (late 2014) there are plenty of albums from that year and just before it that have been always present for me. Prurient's Bermuda Drain was a gateway and I can imagine an album of certain artists (who owe a lot to the arpeggiated synth-school of PE) paying tribute to that!

TS

Quote from: W.K. on January 20, 2021, 02:45:55 PM
I like noise and I like influenced noise but most noise isn't that much interesting as to make noise about noise about noise. Where is the creativity in that? Yuck. No.

This kind of self-referencing is generally not that interesting in any genre. You see it in rap and metal too. It's very common and boring just to be rapping about rapping, and metal songs about how metal you are or how cool metal is is just absolutely embarassing. (HAIL -  Black Death Metal Warrior being an honorable exception, hah). However, I think tribute albums based on for example recycling material or doing continuing in an artist or albums content matter could yield interesting results. Paying tribute to an artist is something different than noise about noise about noise, I think.
Kropper uten Mellomrom

Bloated Slutbag

Cutting Into The Torso Of The Mountain - A Tribute To Dead Body Love

I like this one, not just because it kicks ass, not just because the HOtmfD contribution is some of the best shit I've heard, not just because anyone who had been paying attention could not help but have seen it coming from miles away, but because I thought it was nicely referenced in the recent Kjostad release on WCN. I like the idea of an internal noise language, not for its own value per se but more as a vein to tap simply to see where it goes. If we are to be creative then we would owe it to ourselves to ensure that all bets were off. So less the concern with filters on self-referencing and "creativity", whatever that means, and more about experimenting with (one of so many many many established sorts of) form.

I think the gentleman behind the label responsible for the abovementioned tribute has always been a good one for noting the pedigree, or the history, or the influences, acknowledging the contributing voices, not hiding behind a terminally unconvincing notion of raised-by-the-non-noise-wolves creativity. There's a humor there, or at least an irony. But also a sincerity there, a warmth, a legitimacy, a seriousness. And on some level a roughly directed poke at those who might be inclined to pat themselves on the back for reinventing the wheel. (Yes. We know. It's round.) Stop kidding yourself. On some level, it's a perennial and much needed reality check.

Will second the few tributes suggested thus far. Any artist with an instantly recognizable style ought to be game. Okay, style might be the wrong word- attitude? Will add, tributes to VOG and Masonna would be good fun.

Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

tisbor

Nothing else comes up to mind but I'd like to clarify that you can count me in for any Emil Beaulieau cover album.

NO PART OF IT

A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on January 19, 2021, 04:54:27 PMDoes tributes to "noise artist" really make sense. Should senselessness be obstacle?

No. No.
Shikata ga nai.

Johann

I think the idea of "Noise tributes" seem to harkin back to the cassette culture days of people using and seeking source material, something like Emil immediately comes to mind with "Abusing the little ones" or Rodger Stella in Bananafish saying he is always using everything and collecting nothing (an extremely poor and paraphrased quote)...in a way these may be more acknowledgement to sampling, which seems to have fallen somewhat out of favor as the notion of "original artist and author" seems to be more concern now than ever, possibly due to the Internet simultaneously exposing us all to everything at once. From intensely good to instenely bad.

But when I think of tributes, since it's not like a punk compilation where you just cover tracks, I think it's always worked best with artist with very specific style, sound and approach. It can be very interesting hearing others work within confines of a "style" (for lack of better word) often times producing interesting results and making for fun listening experiences.

My real gripe is individual artist, I won't provide names, doing either online "tribute to" seemingly in hopes of being tagged in a search for the actual artist and those that say "collaborating" or "source material provided" when they actually sought no permission at all, not that I'm overly concerned with copyright, but to drag another unknowingly into your corner of the woods and use their name you set a precedent that is both a farce to the listener and potentially harmful to the artist (especially if they are ideologically opposed to what your doing). This is something I've noticed more recently with the rise of Bandcamp and the like, platforms I don't personally frequent like crazy, but no doubt provide a lot of potential new listeners access to the genre.

Major Carew

Are there any tributes to Peter Odal or planned reissues of older works that will be more widely available?

Still trying to find a copy of the 86-89 box but I think only a few copies were done. I shouldn't have slept on it.

I'd never heard this until today, great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y_N4v6iOfE

tiny_tove

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on January 19, 2021, 04:54:27 PM
Curious subject of: NOISE TRIBUTES!
I can think right now, from top of my head, there exists tributes to: MSBR, OVMN, TG, atrax morgue, Incapacitants, The Haters, The New Blockaders, Merzbow,... hmm more?

Tributes are cool, it's a great way to pay homage to both good friends and heros.
I didn't personally took part to many, surely my face where the Ain Soph tutti a casa cds, the MSBR digital comp and JOhn Murphy's tribute which was actually collected while he was still alive, yet very unwell.

I'd surely be happy to pay  homage mr Dando or other friends.

I also love tributes to not-noise related projects, like the ABBA tribute that never happened...
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Deathtoll

A buddy of mine was putting together a noise tribute to Portishead which I thought would have been very interesting, but sadly it fell through.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Deathtoll on March 07, 2021, 03:15:06 AM
A buddy of mine was putting together a noise tribute to Portishead which I thought would have been very interesting, but sadly it fell through.

Love that idea but it'd be hard to match the intensity of Beth Gibbons voice
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512