Ending Noise: Fade Outs, Abrupt Stops, etc.

Started by Balor/SS1535, January 15, 2021, 08:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinnitustimulus

I don't always do this, but I love cutting off after a sudden change in the piece. Like something that wasn't there the entire time is there for the last .5 secs to take the floor out of the listener. Sometimes something shrill for a last sting or so ducking low that it knocks the whole thing off. I HATE editing afterwards, but with tapes I have to make sure there's two symmetrical time slots, so when editing i often try to find a point of this to cut into.

Also love the Crass effect, where the track ends quietly for next track to be very loud before the quiet track even completely ends.

Quote from: accidental on January 16, 2021, 09:53:41 AM
As long as it stops i'm fine. If it doesn't begin even better.

If the piece is longer than 10 mins and the ending gets your attention - it stinks.

https://kevindrumm.bandcamp.com/track/we-all-get-it-in-the-end I always already have dread whenever I put Imperial Distortion on, because by the time the very last minute of the double cd album goes on, I'm too in the zone and drowsed over the bed/couch. The minute by itself is probably not his harshest work, but as it's presented I can never forget the feeling of it, it's the only thing that truly gets hair in back of my neck to perk up every time.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: tinnitustimulus on February 23, 2021, 07:54:08 AM
Quote from: accidental on January 16, 2021, 09:53:41 AM
As long as it stops i'm fine. If it doesn't begin even better.

If the piece is longer than 10 mins and the ending gets your attention - it stinks.

https://kevindrumm.bandcamp.com/track/we-all-get-it-in-the-end I always already have dread whenever I put Imperial Distortion on, because by the time the very last minute of the double cd album goes on, I'm too in the zone and drowsed over the bed/couch. The minute by itself is probably not his harshest work, but as it's presented I can never forget the feeling of it, it's the only thing that truly gets hair in back of my neck to perk up every time.

I have had this same experience many times with album. What is it nearly 2 hours of drone and 1 minute of jerk you awake harsh noise? So effective, even when you know it's coming after so many listens.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

skyloop

I actually like very abrupt endings with noise especially when there's just some seconds of silence between it and the next one that resumes overwhelming my senses again.

Major Carew

Depending on how you punctuate a recording at the beginning or end it can drastically alter the dynamics of a whole piece, and endings can actually become transitions to next parts etc. It really depends where you're ears want to go (if you're creating something), or where your brain thinks things are going if you're listening to the work of someone else. A lot of mother savage releases are good for this, as there'll all of a sudden be a silence, you think it's over then it picks up somewhere totally different. Sometimes though one is only left with certain options & creative use of a fade or addition of something else to play tricks on the ears and distract attention is needed.

skyloop

Quote from: Major Carew on March 16, 2021, 06:45:45 PM

Depending on how you punctuate a recording at the beginning or end it can drastically alter the dynamics of a whole piece, and endings can actually become transitions to next parts etc. It really depends where you're ears want to go (if you're creating something), or where your brain thinks things are going if you're listening to the work of someone else. A lot of mother savage releases are good for this, as there'll all of a sudden be a silence, you think it's over then it picks up somewhere totally different. Sometimes though one is only left with certain options & creative use of a fade or addition of something else to play tricks on the ears and distract attention is needed.

I really like the silence technique or that one where the is prequent breaks between blasts of whatever. It gets really trippy and a lot easier to get lost in but at the same time there's always some degree of shock therapy going on.