Special Interest
March 08, 2021, 02:13:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ending Noise: Fade Outs, Abrupt Stops, etc.  (Read 1320 times)
JLIAT
user

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 05:35:53 PM »

We have had this conversation before – and I have with others. I happen to disagree. Lets take the extreme – HNW – anyone can make it – Audacity – generate white noise then use the Bass boost.  I've offered the Pepsi test – of a shuttle launch and a Rita Track. I even mistakenly reviewed three works thinking they were all from Vomir – they were not. So I think we must agree to differ.

Though you mention TNB – and from their site - “ As merchants of 'anti-music,' they embrace Luigi Russolo's 1913 Art of Noise manifesto and although Russolo is widely credited as being the first major noise theorist ..” “TNB refuse a virtuosity of the newly musicalised object. “Later recordings and performances even lose the residual possibility of 'properly playing'” “as does the distinction between music and non-music (where, in this case, music would just mean the sounds purposely created or replayed by 'musicians.') “ “This rejection of the notion of the creative genius (as seen in Dada) extends to TNB collaborations,  which range from Organum through The Haters to Merzbow “   “individuality is swamped as the material gets more isolated from any controlling 'artistic' force,  “  But once the 'music' is essentially made of noises, structured noisily and disruptively, without offering a welcoming form, any recombination   takes it further from artistically recognisable modes of talent, skill, etc. even if a certain audience would 'appreciate' this music as if it had those attributes.”.... “If Noise Music was ever noisy in a way that afforded any critically-useful theorization of noise, then it was only ever so for a brief moment. Almost immediately following the first sonic experiments of TNB, The Haters and Hijokaidan, Noise Music's noisiness, it seems, was tamed, subsumed into a predictable, codified art practice “

My emphasis.

"even if a certain audience would 'appreciate' this music as if it had those attributes.” - who are it seems mistaken ;-)

P.S.

Given your definition of noise ->  "a sound, especially one that is loud or unpleasant or that causes disturbance."

Then
" I recognize it being one of least favorite ways of release ending."

Should be one you would tend to always employ....

« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 05:52:21 PM by JLIAT » Logged
tinnitustimulus
moderate user

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 07:54:08 AM »

I don't always do this, but I love cutting off after a sudden change in the piece. Like something that wasn't there the entire time is there for the last .5 secs to take the floor out of the listener. Sometimes something shrill for a last sting or so ducking low that it knocks the whole thing off. I HATE editing afterwards, but with tapes I have to make sure there's two symmetrical time slots, so when editing i often try to find a point of this to cut into.

Also love the Crass effect, where the track ends quietly for next track to be very loud before the quiet track even completely ends.

As long as it stops i'm fine. If it doesn't begin even better.

If the piece is longer than 10 mins and the ending gets your attention - it stinks.

https://kevindrumm.bandcamp.com/track/we-all-get-it-in-the-end I always already have dread whenever I put Imperial Distortion on, because by the time the very last minute of the double cd album goes on, I'm too in the zone and drowsed over the bed/couch. The minute by itself is probably not his harshest work, but as it's presented I can never forget the feeling of it, it's the only thing that truly gets hair in back of my neck to perk up every time.
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2021, 05:49:14 PM »

As long as it stops i'm fine. If it doesn't begin even better.

If the piece is longer than 10 mins and the ending gets your attention - it stinks.

https://kevindrumm.bandcamp.com/track/we-all-get-it-in-the-end I always already have dread whenever I put Imperial Distortion on, because by the time the very last minute of the double cd album goes on, I'm too in the zone and drowsed over the bed/couch. The minute by itself is probably not his harshest work, but as it's presented I can never forget the feeling of it, it's the only thing that truly gets hair in back of my neck to perk up every time.

I have had this same experience many times with album. What is it nearly 2 hours of drone and 1 minute of jerk you awake harsh noise? So effective, even when you know it's coming after so many listens.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: