Zoviet France

Started by post-morten, January 12, 2021, 05:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

impulse manslaughter

I've been listening a lot to Soviet France over the last 2 weeks. The first 3 classic LP's (Garista, Mohnomishe, Eostre) certainly stood the test of time. Really great ambient industrial. Worth tracking down the VOD reissues of these which are really nicely done. Shouting At The Ground is another classic but in retrospect I do not really like it. Too much fading in/out and some of the loops annoy me. 2 other albums worth mentioning are Loh Land and Just An Illusion. More rhythmic with tribal influences. These were the first 2 I bought on cd from Staalplaat and back then they introduced me to a whole new side of industrial music.

AdamLehrerImageMaker

I like listening to the early stuff when I'm writing.

FreakAnimalFinland

Been out of town, so not at home next to shelves with records and for reason or another ZF came to my mind and online listening started. My collection consist mostly the very early LP's and handful of quite early CD's. This year I purchased large set of LP's from VOD, and just threw them all into my physical record store shelves thinking they must be some sort of tribal muzak and not the industrial stuff I am after.

At this point, I can't confirm to way or another, but when posting screen cap to Noise Now Playing with listening to early ZF and saying I have doubts if the new stuff is any good, and someone commented it just gets better. Mohnomische play right now, Gris I did listen couple days ago, Shouting at the ground and Russian Heterodoxical Songs yesterday... and everything been gold.

One thing is that when thinking you'll get by with 5 early releases, but then find out a lot of albums are better than stuff you casually listen to, and feel like you may need to get more.. expand horizon, so to say..   And soon there is website with 500 radio shows by ZF and it seems almost as if being too much of a task to start figure out what is the stuff to listen to or what to buy.

I guess next thing I get back to work, I'll snatch all the ZF vinyl from store shelves for myself and go through them...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

thetenthousandthings

Yes, an all time project for me. Still seeking a copy of Mohnomishe on CD if anyone can help.

Edit: acquired!

post-morten

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 30, 2022, 04:58:48 PM
One thing is that when thinking you'll get by with 5 early releases, but then find out a lot of albums are better than stuff you casually listen to, and feel like you may need to get more.. expand horizon, so to say..   And soon there is website with 500 radio shows by ZF and it seems almost as if being too much of a task to start figure out what is the stuff to listen to or what to buy.

Just so there is no misunderstanding: the long-running ZF podcast, A Duck In the Tree, is not music by :zoviet*france: but rather music endorsed by the two members. Everything from field recordings and sound art to ambient and subtly beat-driven stuff. Once in a while they do include outtakes from ZF albums, concerts, or even previously unreleased snippets though.

FreakAnimalFinland

Ah ok. I actually had not even heard it - which shows how easy it is to NOT come across something online when you see nobody talk about it...
I briefly checked the podcast site while trying to find good online source for full albums. Little info was displayed on that podcast platform.

So, currently when no access for the albums, Youtube it was. Cyclonic Sub Aliens most recent one. Liking all that I have heard. Probably in two weeks will have the LP's in hand.

Zeno Marx

To play along, I cued up The Third Collusion, Further Collusion, and a couple of the unreleased albums included in the Chasse box series.  Ignore the dates.  They never had a down period.  Close your eyes and pick an album.  And they always came full-force to their compilation contributions.  Listening to the tracks on The Third Collusion that would have fit well on a Digilogue 2CD version, even when toying with styles not really my thing in just about any other situation, they mesmerize and close in the walls of their world around you.  I find it difficult to casually listen to even their latter albums.  So deep.  So quickly.  Forget multitasking.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

I've been again listening to a lot of :ZF:.  Funny enough, I've been listening from a different angle though.  They've always been an effortless and intuitive listen, an instant and powerful attraction to their beauty and sublime.  So I've been a passive listener, allowing it to hit me like it has always hit me.  I consider them experimental.  Ethno- x,  y, and z.  Organic.  As I was listening to Shadow, Thief of the Sun 1991 (brilliant title), I was mesmerized by their, what seems to me, use of a clothes dryer.  It's the central rhythm to the album.  Simple, and it ended with that.  Then, as I listened to the favorite Loh-Land, I wasn't taken in by the flute and organic textures per usual, but the urban and filthy industrialism hit me like a ton of bricks.  I've listened to this album hundreds of times, and while their industrial elements are obvious, they do play in the background and aren't the centerpiece, at least for me.  I'm certain others listen the opposite.  Just another way this group is like no other.  Ethno and worldly and organic and primordial and timeless, but also filthy grime and urban and modern decay.  The decay is also obvious, particularly if you study their packaging and artwork (and the very name), but it's more subtle in the music itself.  Subtle is sort of a lie too, because if you change the angle, it brains you.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

chryptusrecords

Quote from: Zeno Marx on January 04, 2023, 10:43:35 PM
Third Collusion

This is the one, really great, "ignore the dates" indeed, while one might look askance at a compilation spanning '98 to '16 (?), during listening it's very hard to tell where we're at in time. "Third Collusion" in particular I have used to turn at least two people onto this fantastic and historically-crucial project.

Someone mentioned HNAS and Organum, this is a good comparison but I'm not sure why, maybe there is a conscious lineage from max ernst that ties it all together

Phenol

They're playing in Malmö later this month. I know zero of the other bands on the festival. https://www.intonalfestival.com/

post-morten

It's going to be a busy spring for ZF. Besides Malmö they're also playing Paris very soon, April 16, and then Birmingham (UK) on May 27.

https://mailchi.mp/c7f5814ef3b7/news-from-zovietfrance-february-2018-live-show-in-london-13736885

Zeno Marx

The expanded version of Gris breaks that rule of "don't mess with the original."  Gris has never been one of my ZF favorites, but admittedly, some of that is because my copy was a wreck when I received it.  The shingle was not kind to the vinyl.  Damaged enough that every time I played it, I thought I might have to buy a new stylus.  My problem, not ZF's (sort of).  They expanded Gris to nearly sixty minutes on Chasse 1.  I listened to it three times in a row this weekend.  An entire afternoon of Gris.  One of those rare instances that when recommending, I'd say go for this version, for it is truly improved and superior to the original.  Now I need to listen to it in its original form.  It's been a long while since I played the 10", but I'm so hyped on this material now, it has to hit me differently.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

have they ever discussed their tribal/Native artwork aesthetic?  I can't remember if it was brought up in the one podcast interview previously cited in this thread.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

I don't know about that, but question itself is good. Already probably 15+ years ago I talked with noise guy who was asking why there is so much of "tribal music influence" in industrial. Probably meaning things such as percussion, even polyrhythmic percussion, perhaps chants, usage of tribal or "exotic" instruments, Didgeridoo, bone-flutes and so on. I recall Genesis P-Orridge talking about it in old interview. It seemed more like "just happened" -kind of thing. Odd records would circulate among people who would eventually be the experimental/industrial protagonists. People were given ritual instruments kind of curiosity / trophy and then used for music too.

When talking to mentioned guy, I said I personally do not associate all the percussion as "tribal". There is certainly the tribal element in many artists, but fine line where thing such as metal percussion is not the "african rhythm", but emulation of factory machines, iron heel marching sound etc...

In case of ZF, of course, tribal influence is absolutely obvious, with others, we may have situation where tribal is no longer there - unless, the new industrial tribe is what is aimed to, with very little of any actual elements of original tribal stuff? 

Zeno Marx

From early on, with COUM Transmissions, Throbbing Gristle, Genesis P-Orridge, and so on, they were exploring primitive and altered states.  Shooting from the hip, I would think that lends to the perspective and approach of resourcefulness, but with different tools.  Thinking of the great issue of RE/search, Modern Primitives.  Playing with bones, early and primitive instruments, and homemade variations of instruments, and then using technological tools of the day, to aid in those primitive and altered states.  Percussion, tribalism, primal headspace, and the technological burden arriving at such a conclusion.  Clumsy wording, but that's seems to be a fair assumption of where they started and what they'd create with that mindset.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.