New Wave of American Power Electronics

Started by Nyodene D, January 14, 2010, 06:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GEWALTMONOPOL

Sure, that's one reason but I'd say there is more to it than that. If I'm wrong then by all means correct me but my impression is there is not seldom a near total lack of knowledge or interest from the US in what goes on outside the US. A golden comment from Ron a while ago (I wish I could find it and stick it in the quote section here) was something along the lines of noise started in Europe, moved to Japan and currently lives in the US. I'll try not to dwell too much on his idiocy. Coming from Chief Clownshoes over there I wasn't particularly surprised anyway. Maybe other US members here could bring more clarity to the table and say if this is the prevailing attitude or not? Maybe it isn't but it often seems like it.

You make a good point. There is a wealth of good things over here and at the moment I'm more inclined to focus on and support that than a so called NWOAPE.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: TheGreatEcstasy on January 15, 2010, 02:00:18 PM
Sure, that's one reason but I'd say there is more to it than that. If I'm wrong then by all means correct me but my impression is there is not seldom a near total lack of knowledge or interest from the US in what goes on outside the US. A golden comment from Ron a while ago (I wish I could find it and stick it in the quote section here) was something along the lines of noise started in Europe, moved to Japan and currently lives in the US.

But isn't this pretty common observation, not just Ron's view? And we can see it is not totally groundless. You can see most of bands being influenced by likes of TG, Whitehouse, SJ, TNB, etc. Not that there wasn't noisy recordings before (experimentations were probably all around), but if we talk about underground noise, not about some art music, then we can see bands like Ramleh, TNB, Whitehouse and so on set examples for many who followed them. Then go forward to late 80's and early 90's, and all you hear is talk of Merzbow, Masonna, Hijokaidan and other Japanese artists. While many european old bands (like mentioned above) were on hiatus for years, everybody seemed to be into what Japs were bringing and those were the bands who gained international press attention. Every label wanted to have some Japanese bands. You can see labels everywhere, with pretty high % Japanese noise. Then suddenly Jap noise seemed to interest very few. While people were investing insanities for rare hand made noise tapes of Americans. Many of Jap noisers lowering their profile or just blatantly stopping.
You look where most of labels seem to put out material. Where most of gigs are being organised. Where scene if filled with flood of new blood, instead of tired old relics. That's the promised land of USA.

Does it mean things stopped elsewhere? Of course not. And above is naturally very very simplistic version, ignoring many things like whole boom of CMI, rise and blitzkrieg conquering german PE did all over the place. Very creative era of older UK bands going strong. Italian monstrocities not only early 80's but mid, late and also whole 90's. Sweden, Finland, whatever... But all that said, one simply can't argue against fact USA being the focal point of current noise. In good and bad. Even topic as this, we can probably see dozens of messages suddenly in slightly heated discussion. Same possibly would happen on every forum. And on every forum topic like "japanese noise" or "japanese industrial" awakes just few yawns and couple guys posting few remarks. There are several good acts there, new things happening, but probably as funny as it sounds, noise just dwells now in USA. Everything is about USA or position of X versus USA. And only, because its let to be so. Even topic such as this, couldn't be just list of good bands worth checking out and observation their characteristics, but it automatically turns XX vs. XX setting where it's about making their problem "ours" (read: blaming them not knowing history or what happens in europe, while on same breath admitting not caring what they do and not knowing what happens there or supporting any of their stuff).

I don't think European or japanese labels lose anything if some American guy doesn't know, care or buy "our" stuff, since most often it is really not "our audience". Why should he? It's like complaining why Sunn o))) fans won't buy my stuff. They just don't, and most likely will never do so and that's it. I can't really blame them for it, just as I can't blame someone being into reggae, instead of Grey Wolves. There is relatively big audience in US for PE. More than say UK, Sweden or Finland. Collectors who know their stuff, and fanatics who keep supporting the labels. How much more is needed? It's impossible and most of all unnecessary to insult audience for lack of appreciation towards Genocide Organ, when they really just want Prurient, Aaron Dilloway and John Wiese. When that audience approaches PE, they probably need it to be just as mentioned. The ones they can relate to. Not some old bald fatso talking about history of foreign countries they barely know to exist, hah.. So, in end, I'm pretty much all in favor of this neo PE. It's nothing away from me.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Strömkarlen

You can always blame people for being into reggae.

That aside I would really like to see some good, well put together compilations with American bands. Not just PE but a LP or CD with just the best of PE/noise/drone from America. Maybe something for Cathartic Process? I'm sure that the selection would be really good and challenging. 

GEWALTMONOPOL

Mikko! I will try and reply to your last post later. Right now I have to go and do a nightshift.

I second Strömkarlen's comment and I could think of few people better suited than Cathartic Process to do it. It would mark a welcome step away from the usual Ron or Solotroff involvement with it's inherent bullshit like artwork on the cheap, formats of suspicious origins or the noise is fun approach.

kettu

true force pain electronics was supposed to put out a comp called skin flicks which I presume would  have displayed quite a few usa acts but it was canceled.

other than that nothing really comes to mind, recent that is. maybe rrrolfs locked groove lp. that  came out a little while back.  and I refuse to listen to shittytalk about the old fuck, he has earned his stripes a few times over.

FreakAnimalFinland

If topic can be hijacked to cover all the US pe AND related, so we don't have to split hairs who is pure pe and who is not, who are the ones who either are new or started to get more known in perhaps later parts of 2000's? Year of first release may be inaccurate in some cases, but as far as I know would be: (in no particular order)

FFH (2005)
Sewer Goddess (2006)
Vomit Arsonist (2004)
Karlheiz (late 90's stuff exists, but band probably got more noticed from 2005 pic LP?),
American Boots (2009?)
Country Club (2009)
Breathing Problem (2007)
Liver Mortis (2006)
Pleasure Fluids (2006)
Cathode Terror Secretion (2007)
Halflings (2006)
Pharmakon (2007)
Cleanse (greh been around, but maybe this noticed by 2005 7" and 2008 12"?)
Brethren (old video/cdr released from 2003, but real CD 2005)
Deathkey (2006)
Shallow Waters (2006)
Fire In The Head (couple CDR's in 2004, but first real in 2005)
Fleshobidience (2007)
88MM (2006?? first public releases?)
Climax Denial (2005)
Ru-486 (and other destructive industries related, 2005)
Secret Abuse (2007)
Bereft (some early releases exists, but perhaps more known from ones on late 2000's?)
Xiphoid Dementia (couple early 2000's, but I guess his works after mid 2000's are better known)
Gilles De Rais Order (2006)

and this is the stuff I have/or have heard. I can't necessarily comment on bands I've never heard of, so don't list them myself. And probably forgot a many, especially countless side projects. But it's not that I'd be writing bible here, so just threw in first things that came in mind. If we say here is 25 bands that have established themselves within last 5 years, and look how many of them are "hipsters", "clueless americans", etc I'd be willing to really hear grounded proof about that. Pretty much all who I have had opportunity to meet, hear or somehow deal with, have proven to be quite far from that. With these 25 bands, if one would ask 4 minutes each, choose best 10, and make comp. LP, it would probably kill. And I'm pretty sure, it would not lack of quality, innovation, strength and power. It is little unlikely that this could be done by any american label. Those who release PE vinyl, are very limited and their interests may be elsewhere.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

GEWALTMONOPOL

Mikko!

I've given this some thought and I reach the conclusion that you and I are in agreement on at least 50% while the rest can matter less. I will continue being sceptical after all the bullshit and hype I've witnessed but with that in mind I also keep my mind open for whatever quality project presents itself. Like I always have.

Another thought that crossed my mind before. Let's say a USPE compilation featuring the names on your list would happen, who would have the balls to do it with BRETHREN and DEATHKEY on it? The PC-brigade would be all over it thus talking the focus off the original intentions.

Andrew McIntosh

PC PE? I think there's Black Bloc; can't see him wanting to "share a platform" with Brethren and Deathkey but I could be wrong.
A serious comp. of modern US PE would be great but I don't think Cathartic would be in a financial position at the moment. Down the track, one can only hope. In the meantime I'll take any good US PE on it's own merits, regardless of year it started, others' hype, etc.

This Fusty Cunt comp. Nyodene D speaks of sounds like a worry to me personally, though, as it's supposed to be only one minute per project. Far too gimicky for my liking; I can understand some time restrictions but this just restricts each project from doing their own thing (I've contributed to a minute-per-track comp. myself and didn't care for it much). I'm hoping that a future comp. of full-blooded US PE will allow each project more space.
Shikata ga nai.

Nyodene D

Most of the artists on the minute long track tend to do shorter pieces in the first place, so it's not to big a worry that there's a time restriction on it.  It will be worth checking out though.  If someone wants to finance a full-blooded comp of USPE, then I'd say go for it.

dunno about PC issues with the PE artists.  I think most PE dudes are fairly nihilistic about who appears on stuff like compilations.  Asking a non-WP dude to split with Brethren or Deathkey is quite a bit different then just the two of them being on a comp. 

Andrew McIntosh

Well, if you say it's worth checking it out, I will, but I'll reserve opinion 'till hearing it. I still believe that most artists need time to make their point with their pieces but that time can be any of the artist's choosing, so, if it's one minute it's one minute. Hopefully my prejudice will be unjustified.

I would also hope the majority of PE artists in the US would not have issues with each other's politics (or lack of) to the point where they would exclude themselves from a representational compilation. Maybe one day, it will come.
Shikata ga nai.

GEWALTMONOPOL

When I suggested a possible disruption to a US PE compilation featuring BRETHREN and DEATHKEY I didn't mean any invited groups pussying out but the usual outside whiney PC fucks raising their "concerns" by causing enough palaver overshadowing any original intent. It's not unlikely that the other artists taking part would be demonised as well. We all know there are people out there crazy enough to do it.

Andrew McIntosh

You're right, but how effective would they be? It is, after all, hypothetical; anyone getting together a NWOAPE would surely not take into account the whinging of a few wankers. Fuck, if anything, it would be an incentive. From what I've seen of the "debates" on the Black Board and Blue Board, there's enough dissent among listeners to at least guarantee an audience of any potential comp.

I've had this experience, years ago, doing a home taping punk project that had a split 7" with the infamous Rupture. The whole "guilt by association" thing that followed from a very few quarters (including at least one dickhead who's opinions where just laughable) taught me that the whinging of a few means nothing unless you let it mean something (the mistake I made at the time, I'm not proud to say). I understand what you mean, then, if some projects would not want to be "demonised" in that manner. But then it leads back to those projects showing enough backbone to not let a few dickheads dictate terms to them. It's something that sometimes has to be learned from experience I'm afraid.
Shikata ga nai.

Nyodene D

yeah, the PC kids are the ones who will probably have more of a problem...

GEWALTMONOPOL

When you live in Australia maybe not effective at all. When you live in the UK it's a different matter. Here you can lose your job for being a member of the BNP. It's bad enough here but much worse in Germany where the Antifa own the streets. In Germany they lynch you for wearing the wrong clothes while the police look the other way. The sickest shit is that those people scour the internet for whatever they can find and if they decide to make you a target then you are. Fuck all you can do about it.

Not that any of this is a concern for me personally. I won't be involving myself in a US PE compilation with or without any "controversial" contributors so I couldn't give less of a fuck for myself. But anyone who does will be wise to bear the potential for backlash in mind.

Zeno Marx

I don't particularly care which projects or artists are APE.  I'd find it infinitely more helpful if I just had an idea of which releases stood out.  Which is the cream?  I find it difficult to believe, as wrong as it might be, that any of them are thoughtfully consistent with their work.  Being performance based, and not studio based, dictates that would be the case more often than not.

EDIT:  you folks are giving the US scene more credit than I do.  PC?  That would indicate that they actually give a shit about something other than themselves...or that they notice the details.  I don't see it.  Maybe a couple of them are outspoken, but the majority of what I see doesn't make this seem like it would be much of a concern.  They're a mass of puddles.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.