Grey Wolves/Macronympha collaboration questions

Started by ritualabuser, November 13, 2020, 07:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritualabuser

So is anyone able to clarify what exactly is going on between "Slash/Slash II/The Comfort Zone"? I'm thinking that "Slash" and "The Comfort Zone" are the same tape and that "Slash II" is possibly different material. In acquiring some of these GW releases I've been searching for, I've come to notice that a lot of material is reproduced across releases under different titles ala "Spasm" and "Pure Hatred" being the same release on different formats. Might be handy to condense the knowledge of these repetitions across releases here as well.

chume

Slash/The comfort zone are the same and Slash II is comprised of completely different tracks than Slash.
I'm not 100% on this, I've never actually listened to the comfort zone cd but that's my understanding from what Rodger told me.

soaked

"Slash" and "The Comfort Zone" (also known as "The Comfort Zone Aka. 'Slash'") appear to have the exact same material. Although some versions of "The Comfort Zone"--namely, the Open Wound CD-R and the Industrial Heritage CD-R--have different track titles than "Slash".

Here is how Stella described "Slash II":

"Alternate previously unreleased version of the 1993 collaboration between Grey Wolves and Macronympha. Noisier than the released material while retaining a similar compositional tone. Some of this material was used for the Rodger Stella cut-up mixes on the Sudden Infant/Grey Wolves/Macronympha "Interzone 3" cassette. A great companion release to Slash."

As chume said, "Slash II" sounds totally different from the original "Slash". My guess is that it's the same source material on both releases--just mixed and edited quite differently.

totalblack

"Slash" and "The Comfort Zone" are the same. Interestingly some versions are listed as having 8 tracks on the B-side, while others 7. Some of the CD-R versions only have 13. Original version has no tracklisting. I just pulled out both tapes, and they are both on C60s so I would doubt that the Sol Niger version of the tape has an extra track, but would have to give both tapes a play back to back to be certain.