Peenemünde CD & Body Cargo tape out now on Obscurex

Started by Niko, March 02, 2011, 11:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niko

Peenemünde CD
38 minutes of carefully crafted, dark and gritty Industrial Noise by finnish noisemasters: P. Dassum & Pekka PT.
Sample: http://obscurex.org/peenemundesample.mp3

11 euros + shipping.

Body Cargo - Secret Domain tape

Heavily layered power electronics digging deep in to the cargo cults of Papua New-Guinea.
Sample: http://obscurex.org/bodycargosample.mp3

5 euros + shipping.

Both are available for trade and wholesale.
www.obscurex.org Noise, Power Electronics, Industrial & Experimental Label.

Niko

Body Cargo -Secret Domain review from Pure Stench :

"Body Cargo continues to play the tempered style of cold Power Electronics with an obvious ambient and "Death Industrial" feel that we have come to expect. You should know, generally, what you are getting when you pick up a Body Cargo release. His sound directs a listener's attention to texture. Once you know you're getting those long rumbles and gradual changes, you focus more on the details and the assemblage of chosen sounds employed to provides the mood. This album makes sense, and is best looked at, as a brief addendum to the 2 prior releases which came chronographicly before this cassette. "Secret Domain" also serves as a somewhat methodical recapitulation of his career's primary themes, modes of expression and techniques to date.

On "Secret Domain" you can hear a bit of a progression in those familiar atmospherics, this time around there is more tension, a tension that actually can climax at times, a change of pace for Body Cargo. There is more variety with those densely layered and immersive textures as well. Samples and vocals stand out more so than on previous works. Though these tracks vary form one another (sometimes blatantly), in their construction materials and arrangements of said materials, each of the album's four tracks seem built to gradually reveal themselves as one seamless whole. I believe that the medium used here, a cassette instead of a CD like some previous releases, was a very smart choice in that the listener has to hear the material from beginning to end without skipping around, and this is the best way to take this album in, as a whole instead of a collection. The cassette is opened by a sample that is eventually capsized, the voice becoming faint as they echo away into the depths of the raw rumbling and the thickness of the recording. This is, essentially, a good representation of Body Cargo's sound in general. The adjective that I believe best suits BC's sound is "disembodied". A lo-fi, dissonance of disembodied electronic drifting between samples, vocals and the sounds mashed together to create that thick, dense sound.

Overall, the only negative comments I can make is that this cassettes relatively short duration can leave you wanting more. And I also don't like the badly computer generated cover art. But those are 2 minor gripes. Throughout the album Body Cargo's focus, attention to diminutive details, choice of effects and "hands-on" craftsmanship allow these 4 short pieces to continuously yield new discoveries, while clearing a route for the next stage of Body Cargo's discography. If you can get a hold of this do so. If you can get a hold of "Konkrete" and the "Conspiracy of Containers" cassette put out by Autarkiea as well then I would highly suggest that you grab those up and listen to them sequentially in one sitting."

http://purestench.blogspot.com/

Niko

QuoteAfter several reviews of rather mediocre albums I can finally say that this evening I spin a truly wonderful record. From the start of the very first track to the very end of the disc it is a great experience and without a doubt - one of the best releases I've been listening to lately. Peenemünde - seaport town that belongs to Germany and is situated in the Baltic sea. This seaport town has very interesting history that reaches (of course) World War II. The cause of this disc and the whole project - Finns that in late years have become standard of junk noise. Peenemünde is a duo, consisting of Pekka PT and Pentti Dassum and they deliver excellent soundtrack of military seaport. This is filthy, massive and somewhat menacing record, full of clanging metal sounds, synths and field recordings in intangibly dark atmosphere. All in all - 6 tracks with military thematic and playing time of more than half an hour. The record took 4 years to complete. Dose of primitive militaristic brutality starts from the lengthiest track - noise generators and sheets of metal abused in the distance. It seems that there are only two layers of sounds, but they sums up to powerful entity of noise that it's even weird that I'm listening to CD and not to some analog format. Record does not go to weaker moments or culmination, but stays on more or less the same level. Sound draws you in and evokes gloomy visions of front lines. Wind Tunnel - the shortest and calmest track based mostly on field recordings. Minimal variations in noises distract the feeling of utter calmness and add to the overall frightful atmosphere. The third track - Guided by the Bible - rhythmic metal percussions slowly evolves and reincarnates into slowly moving deformed mist of sound. All the epithets are worthless when talking about this record. The disc is one of the most recommended works in 2011. Its excellent heavy, dark and filthy atmosphere, maximum result, reached with minimal means and sound constructions, leading to ejaculation and climax are the signs of unique and excellent album. Disc is packed in 7" envelope with 3 postcards, fitting into the overall theme. I hope this record will not be missed and it will be properly evaluated. If you still didn't have a chance to listen to it - do not doubt and instead of eating a hot meal for tomorrow's dinner - better purchase it and enjoy the sounds of Peenemünde. Highly recommended work!

Format: CD
Released: 2011
Label: Obscurex

http://www.terror.lt/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=1202&cntnt01returnid=54