Posh Isolation (then and now)

Started by NaturalOrthodoxy, October 19, 2020, 11:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Having done interviews and written a lot about the early days, my favorable opinion is probably known. One can search topics such as "Danish supremacy" from this forum!

While I see plenty of people trash PI, already then, and certainly now, I still stand firmly in opinion that there is plenty of great releases. It is certainly visible how they had all the obvious influences, instead of creating something  very unique, yet I'm fairly confident that PI is one of the last "phenomena" that happened in noise. Of course there are now some tape labels that have instagram success or such. Who have grown to penetrate out of the "noise ghetto" so to say. Phenomena beyond "artist" or "label" - ability to create something that is vastly bigger. One does not have to like it, to acknowledge they did it.

That linked dance video, with droning instrument sounds, I'm sure not everybody is into cock bulge in pantyhose, but for me, this is welcomed element in form of somewhat "underground experimental sound" teaming up with video art, dance/body art, etc.  To me, that video is like very positive example of what PI is doing now. I am certainly not fan of their computer dance music or current aesthetic approach what gives me literally nothing, but it also underlines quite good question. Do I rate PI by what is the best things they do (or did) or things I did not/could not like? I know it may sound almost heritical to give such example as Alchemy Records, but consider this:
Do you value Alchemy Records based on the absolute best noise releases (Merzbow, Incapacitants, Hijokaidan,...) or do you need to think about countless and countless Japanese indie music bands on same roster, that I have certainly given a try so many times... but almost without exception, can not get into.

yep, I would vote on approaching in what is good on label, not what are the things you simply could never appreciate based on your own taste.  So, while I do have huge collection of early PI, and am more than happy to ignore most of the things they did within last years. If they happen to do some noise related, I might be giving it spin if I just manage to get the album.

(This is one of the nuisances of growing labels. In short, PI no longer sold wholesale directly. One would have to order from Cargo (uk). Cargo does not accept wholesale orders from Finland, since they have Finnish broker. Finnish broker does not carry PI stuff as there is "no demand". So, if there is item I would like to sell, I can't. Same thing applies for few other bigger "industrial" labels. They won't sell directly, wholesaler won't sell to your country, your local wholesaler won't carry items.)
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

TS

Quote from: sunandsteel on October 20, 2020, 09:11:24 PM

I try not to be too harsh or judgemental as its obvious the label is going for something completely different now. I can't help but think this is your average American Boomer's idea of Scandinavians.

I think you've identified what annoys me. This kind of stuff, (despite the bulge) gives me the same vibe of Scandinavian "melancholy" that saturates everything in at least Norwegian popular culture. It's a very premeditated kind of aesthetic, like a distant vulnerability. You can see it in Norwegian music, in Norwegian movies, etc. it's everywhere.  It's got no power, no oomph! You can't escape it and it's boring as hell.
Kropper uten Mellomrom

NaturalOrthodoxy

Quote from: TS on October 23, 2020, 06:02:22 PM
the same vibe of Scandinavian "melancholy" that saturates everything in at least Norwegian popular culture. It's a very premeditated kind of aesthetic, like a distant vulnerability. You can see it in Norwegian music, in Norwegian movies, etc. it's everywhere. 

ha, funnily enough I would identify this as part of why I like this label. Maybe because I'm not exposed to it every day, being British. It certainly is an identifiably Scandinavian trait but to me seems less ubiquitous and therefore more novel and appealing. I can certainly understand someone more familiar than this finding it grating.

If you'll indulge me though, here's my take on that "Scandinavian melancholy" aspect:

With certain projects on the label, it feels like they export this vibe to other regions. Perhaps because of titles like The Palermo Protocol, Monaco, Damien Dubrovnik, snippets of dialogue in Russian etc, and the comp title The Maritime Trade, it conjures the image of pan-European travel. In some contexts it feels like the diary of some depressed and wealthy playboy engaging in decadent acts in exotic locales, in others it feels like the menacing soundtrack to some shady trafficking activities (like the other side of the Caligula031 coin). Especially when you introduce the techno sounds, but still within an industrial context (see the aforementioned Palermo Protocol comp), it brings to mind the setting of seedy clubs playing shitty Eurodance in some Godforsaken port town, full of gangsters.

Obviously, I'm referencing a lot of older stuff here. I think that cinematic feeling is what a lot of people here enjoy about PI, even if they wouldn't put it in such specific terms.

TS

Ah, haven't had the chance to check out the releases you mention, so I can't comment on that. However, what you're talking about sounds more Lilya 4-ever-ish, which of course I'm not opposed to at all. Will have to track down some of these with that in mind!

It isn't exactly what I was getting at when I was trying to describe this "Scandinavian melancholy" though. It's more related to this pressing need everyone seems to have to expose their "tenderness" in a vaguely "northern", distant way which seems to me to have birthed a certain kind of aesthetic that has now become ingrained. Hard to put in to words! Sorry about that.

Kropper uten Mellomrom

NaturalOrthodoxy

Quote from: TS on October 25, 2020, 02:46:31 PM
Hard to put in to words! Sorry about that.

No need to apologise, I certainly understood what you're getting at. I see that "tenderness" thing in some of the sad boy rappers that Varg2TM has collaborated with, like Yung Lean and Bladee. Not my thing at all, total Urban Outfitters vibes.

I've heard of Lilya 4 Ever but never seen it, from my understanding though it's a good reference point for what I was talking about. I'm sure a still from that film is the cover of Prurient's Cocaine Death, which was obviously a huge influence on this. I'd even give the same rationale as I gave in my last post for my enjoyment of Cocaine Death and Bermuda Drain.

TS

Quote from: NaturalOrthodoxy on October 26, 2020, 05:52:38 PM

I've heard of Lilya 4 Ever but never seen it, from my understanding though it's a good reference point for what I was talking about. I'm sure a still from that film is the cover of Prurient's Cocaine Death, which was obviously a huge influence on this. I'd even give the same rationale as I gave in my last post for my enjoyment of Cocaine Death and Bermuda Drain.

It's well worth seeing, despite some unfortunate Rammstein here and there. You're right about Cocaine Death. Killer album! However, this is getting off topic. To get back on it: this thread has really made me wanna track down the other Forza Albino releases too, Black Dog is the shit. If anyone here has em', do they have a similar sound as Black Dog?
Kropper uten Mellomrom

Sektion1

Quote from: TS on October 26, 2020, 09:16:02 PM

It's well worth seeing, despite some unfortunate Rammstein here and there. You're right about Cocaine Death. Killer album! However, this is getting off topic. To get back on it: this thread has really made me wanna track down the other Forza Albino releases too, Black Dog is the shit. If anyone here has em', do they have a similar sound as Black Dog?

The Infestation 12" on PI is pretty solid, same style and sound as Black dog, perhaps a bit more clear in sound

TS

Quote from: Sektion1 on October 27, 2020, 11:20:15 AM
Quote from: TS on October 26, 2020, 09:16:02 PM

The Infestation 12" on PI is pretty solid, same style and sound as Black dog, perhaps a bit more clear in sound

Had a brief listen on the tubes. Sounds good! And fairly cheap too. Thanks!
Kropper uten Mellomrom