Band/Label Slogans

Started by Balor/SS1535, September 24, 2020, 02:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balor/SS1535

I was thinking over the past few days about how some bands and labels center themselves around particular slogans (at least on particular releases).  To a degree, I think these factor into how the listener is supposed to approach and consider what they are listening to.  

Here are a few examples that come to mind:
-Filth & Violence: "Support the Cause"
-Zyklon SS: "Zyklon SS Supports the War Against Moral Remediation"
-Genocide Organ: "Go your way.  Fight your war."
-Caligula 031: "No Limits - No Taboos - No Mercy"

Particularly, I was really struck by how the slogans embraces by F&V and Genocide Organ have the appearance of contradicting one another.  The label and the band respectively represent some of the best power electronics, so I think it is worth thinking about what they say.

Can anyone think of any others?  Any opinions on the significance (or the lack thereof) of slogans like these?

Andrew McIntosh

Interesting idea.

There's "The Mission is Fucked" from the Grey Wolves, and I can't remember it exactly right now but there's "When They Get Their Way, You and Your Kind will be Lying in the Gutter", or something like that, from a Con-Dom t-shirt.

In a lot of ways, a lot of PE lyrics are very sloganistic in themselves, in that they're usually just a few simple phrases declaimed strongly. I've always liked the GO track "It's Over", chanting that simple phrase a few times towards the end of the piece. 
Shikata ga nai.

re:evolution

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on September 24, 2020, 03:25:37 AM
In a lot of ways, a lot of PE lyrics are very sloganistic in themselves, in that they're usually just a few simple phrases declaimed strongly. I've always liked the GO track "It's Over", chanting that simple phrase a few times towards the end of the piece. 

Actually, the lyrics of G/O's 'It's Over' are lifted from a Roy Orbison song of the same name, with only minor modifications. Someone mentioned it on here some time back, and it can be confirmed by listening to the G/O track while reading along to the Roy Orbison lyrics.

In terms of interpretation of meaning, based on the US army samples and the lyric of "your 'country' does not 'want' you anymore" (including 'baby' replaced with 'country', and 'love' replaced with 'want'), it is clearly a comment on army veterans being discarded after active service. Perhaps the Roy Orbison lyrics was picked as Roy could be seen to represent a classic image of an American in their heyday. But given everything G/O do is so well thought out, there is obviously a clear reason why - even if it is never stated.
noise receptor: sound with impact - analysing the abstract
http://noisereceptor.wordpress.com/
http://www.noisereceptor.bigcartel.com

spectrum magazine archive: ambient / industrial / experimental / power electronics / neo-folk music culture magazine
http://spectrummagarchive.wordpress.com/