Special Interest
November 26, 2020, 10:21:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: New discogs shipping policies  (Read 3214 times)
PTM Jim
user

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2020, 08:45:09 PM »

so you let discogs collect their fees for shipping too?
True. Don't do that James. If anything charge less for the tape and more for shipping.
collapsedhole
user

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2020, 02:44:23 AM »

honestly that didnt even occur to me.

maybe thats why i dont sell much through websites... too many logistical problems/work. now that it has been brought to my attention, i do see your point... but i'm not a label/distro selling the majority of my product through the discogs platform. i dont think anyone is making enough bank to really care about the $20 a month i make off selling on discogs. i buy much more on there then i sell.

when i have copies of my own releases available almost all of them go through having direct contact with me... as in someone personally messages me and we communicate about the sale. i like it better that way, and purposely do not have much of a internet presense anywhere... i do use IG but that forces the person who wants my stuff to have direct contact with me, so i think thats ok.
re:evolution
user

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2020, 11:41:39 PM »

Just providing my experience after going through the process of setting up required shipping polices.

Basically I sent up base prices per unit / format for single and multiple items. But the Discogs system REQUIRES you to have postage weight brackets to apply to all orders for the shipping polices to be deemed 'complete'. OK - I did that too - and tried to work weight brackets to match per unit / format type postage prices.

But since having these 'standardised' polices the postage seems to be ONLY calculated on weight. The system then only factors in the assumed weight of the ordered items, but then does not factor in the actual packaging, which would push the parcel into the next weight /postage bracket.

This has happened with two orders already where I have to request additional postage or cancel the order. Just another example of things becoming more complicated when trying to make something more streamlined.  
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 06:58:18 AM by re:evolution » Logged

noise receptor: sound with impact - analysing the abstract
http://noisereceptor.wordpress.com/
http://www.noisereceptor.bigcartel.com

spectrum magazine archive: ambient / industrial / experimental / power electronics / neo-folk music culture magazine
http://spectrummagarchive.wordpress.com/
Major Carew
user

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2020, 12:35:04 AM »

Just providing my experience after going through the process of setting up required shipping polices.

Basically I sent up base prices per unit / format for single and multiple items. But the Discogs system REQUIRES you to have postage weight brackets to apply to all orders for the shipping polices to be deemed 'complete'. OK - I did that too - and tried to work weight brackets to match per unit / format type postage prices.

But since having these 'standardised' polices the postage seems to be ONLY calculated on weight. The system then only factors in the assumed weight of the orders items but then does not factor in the actual packaging, which would push the parcel into the next weight /postage bracket.

This has happened with two orders already where I have to request additional postage or cancel the order. Just another example of things becoming more complicated when trying to make something more streamlined. 

It's unnecessary ball ache on the part of Discogs.I just left everything as it was. Even though the items I have will appear as 'unavailable' to any potential buyer, people seem to be aware of all the complications so they just ask me to calculate shipping for the items they want. Last few customers have just listed the items they wanted & asked me for a shipping total.

Urban Noise
user

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2020, 10:50:15 AM »

Already set up that crap sometime ago.
The weight of the item must include the weight of the package of that item itself or in the end, we'll be paying more on postage than what we charged.
And in the end, we'll need to take extra care not to go above the weight we set in the first place, instead of taking extra care on making a solid package.
The shit side of automated systems.
And no, that shit doesn't rise the number of orders, the total opposite for me.

holy ghost
Diehard user

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2020, 02:40:09 PM »

Yeah I did okay initially when I reopened my store but for less “HOT” noise stuff I’m selling I haven’t had an order in weeks. Usually I average one or two per week. I generally don’t get bent out of shape when a big platform makes changes but this is.... not good.

Honestly I would much rather there be a way for the system to calculate how much it will cost to ship and then you just print off a fucking invoice and skip the entire process altogether. That would make sense. This does not.
Ashmonger
Diehard user

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2020, 05:58:15 PM »

I set everything up quite a while ago, then received no orders from over a month. After asking around, someone offered me to check my list and he sent me print screen, turns out every single item was priced as having a shipping cost of €16. That's what you get when you can't check for yourself if everything is set up good. Discogs providing no way to run tests to see if everything works, is a huge fault on their part.
Right, then, why did it list everything with that price? Turns out that it was always presenting my "flat rate shipping" policy (I'm talking about shipping packages from Belgium to other European countries). Why? Because apparently you can drag the lines (lines with "all items", "CD shipping policy", "tape shipping policy"...) and change the order. So, when the "all items" policy is on top, it will always show that. Dragged it to the botom, now it works.
I've set it up per item, not per weight. Because I know that I can ship 3 CDs for a certain price f.e. Only downside to that is that I can't offer cheaper shipping for a single digipak or CD without jewelcase (as that weighs less than 100g). Of course, people are welcome to inquire about that.

Anyway, since fixing that, I've had a couple of orders. Too early to say if it's more or less than before, since most orders usually come early in the month, but I doubt it will turn into a goldmine.
I've been thinking about ditching discogs as well, but I think I'm nearly not well known enough or have a loyal customers base enough to expect them to follow.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: