Microbrute vs Minibrute 2?

Started by latexcity, July 26, 2020, 02:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

latexcity

So my microbrute creation edition just died on me after only three months and I sent it back to the store I bought it from for repairs (since it's still in warranty) they've said it's a faulty unit and there's nothing they can do to fix it.

Usually the would offer me a replacement free of charge but as the creation edition has sold out since I bought the last one they had for sale back in august. They've offered me the microbrute standard free of charge or the minibrute 2 with an extra £50 off making it an extremely cheap upgrade as its also currently on sale from this store.

I loved my microbrute due to how agressive and easy to use ut was however I found it getting less use than my other gear due to the tiny patchbay. A bigger patchbay would definitely be very helpful as I'm also working with a dark energy and MS10 atm and plan to get an 0-Coast later in the year. I also have an ambient project so looks like it could be good for that with some delay and reverb.

Can the minibrute 2 get as aggressive as the microbrute can? from what I can see on YouTube people seem to be using the minibrute differently and so there's no videos I can find it with the heavy distorted leads the microbrute could produce. If anyone had any content they'd made with the minibrute 2 that would be great to hear too.

tiny_tove

I got the Minibrute 2s that is a real beast. The modular part and the sequencer are incredible BUT I will not get rid off neither the original Minibrute who has a very sharp sound and the Microbrute that is ana amazing portable machine with very solid and raw pounding sounds.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

latexcity

Quote from: Lysergikon137 on September 01, 2020, 10:14:59 PM
I know this is somewhat old, but I hope you went with the Minibrute2s. I am using the Microbrute Creation Edition at the moment as my only synth and I believe there is no difference between the normal Microbrute and the Creation Edition. Looking at Arturia's page on the "Creation Edition" Micro- and DrumBrute, it looks like the only thing they did was add a subtle swirl to the plastics. If it's only an aesthetic difference as it seems I'm guessing it was just a marketing ploy to move more Microbrutes if they were being passed over for Minibrutes, which I also believe are fundamentally identical besides the added features on the Minibrute. I've only ever seen people say they prefer Micro to Mini because of the "sequencer" on the Microbrute which I find to be next to useless for this kind of music. The sequencer on the Minibrute2s would be significantly more useful for droning and rhythmic industrial, and the additional sub-frequency oscillators could only add to the palette. Definitely report back on the Minibrute2s if that's what you got, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. I'm torn between a Minibrute2s and a DrumBrute as my next purchase, but I really don't see myself getting as into making techno as I would like so i'm leaning more towards the Minibrute2s...

I didn't actually buy either yet since I got a nice reverb pedal instead in the end, I was certain on getting the minibrute 2S for similar reasons when I am paid next week.

But now I've discovered what looks like a potentially overlooked synth (especially by industrial and noise artists) called The Malekko Manther. Includes 64 step sequencer with multiple tracks, really good onboard delay and plenty out outputs and Inputs. I recommend checking out a YouTube video on it from the user Daniel Dehaan he spends an hour with it going over all the sounds it can create with no extra effects or modulation from other synths.

Atrophist

If you Behringer products are available whete you are, chrck out their MS-101. It's based on the Roland SH-101 just like the Manther, but more affordable and I believe with more connectivity.

Atrophist

But as I mentioned, Malekko's synth is based on the Roland SH-101 just like the Behringer one. People concerned with opposing materialism should instead use software as much as possible.

Atrophist

"Cheap" is a relative concept. I'm disabled and because of this my ability to earn money is limited. The idea of boutique gear being ethically superior, because of its lack of availability on the second-hand market, is really a luxury that I cannot be bothered with, even if I could theoretically afford it with some effort. And this is with me living in what still remains, despite our government's best efforts, a fairly wealthy country. Artists from areas of the world with less balanced wealth distribution policies will have even less access to boutique synths and pedals, generally speaking. Even the price of a mass-produced synth by Behringer, Arturia, etc. may be the equivalent of a month's disposable income for someone in, f.e. India or Brazil. Perhaps even more. A new instrument by Malekko or Rare Waves is completely out of their, and mine, reach.

And sure, Uli Behringer has a reputation for being a bit of a prickly asshole if provoked. I won't make excuses for him for that. But I've been able to live with it till now.

Atrophist

No problem. Of course it's generally preferable to support independent smaller designers, if that is practical. I certainly agree with the general principle.

latexcity

Quote from: Lysergikon137 on September 14, 2020, 06:31:37 PM
Quote from: latexcity on September 14, 2020, 01:16:57 PM
Quote from: Lysergikon137 on September 01, 2020, 10:14:59 PM
I know this is somewhat old, but I hope you went with the Minibrute2s. I am using the Microbrute Creation Edition at the moment as my only synth and I believe there is no difference between the normal Microbrute and the Creation Edition. Looking at Arturia's page on the "Creation Edition" Micro- and DrumBrute, it looks like the only thing they did was add a subtle swirl to the plastics. If it's only an aesthetic difference as it seems I'm guessing it was just a marketing ploy to move more Microbrutes if they were being passed over for Minibrutes, which I also believe are fundamentally identical besides the added features on the Minibrute. I've only ever seen people say they prefer Micro to Mini because of the "sequencer" on the Microbrute which I find to be next to useless for this kind of music. The sequencer on the Minibrute2s would be significantly more useful for droning and rhythmic industrial, and the additional sub-frequency oscillators could only add to the palette. Definitely report back on the Minibrute2s if that's what you got, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. I'm torn between a Minibrute2s and a DrumBrute as my next purchase, but I really don't see myself getting as into making techno as I would like so i'm leaning more towards the Minibrute2s...

I didn't actually buy either yet since I got a nice reverb pedal instead in the end, I was certain on getting the minibrute 2S for similar reasons when I am paid next week.

But now I've discovered what looks like a potentially overlooked synth (especially by industrial and noise artists) called The Malekko Manther. Includes 64 step sequencer with multiple tracks, really good onboard delay and plenty out outputs and Inputs. I recommend checking out a YouTube video on it from the user Daniel Dehaan he spends an hour with it going over all the sounds it can create with no extra effects or modulation from other synths.

Nice, I value my reverb as much as my synth. The Malekko looks insane, I'd seen it in passing but watching videos now this sounds amazing. I am not a fan of all the stolen Behringer synths, which to me embody the cheap sort of consumerism and cutthroat capitalism that industrial culture stands in defiance against, but maybe I'm just an idealist who wants my gear to accurately represent my value system. The Malekko looks like it wouldn't be outgrown quickly and kind of reminds me of those older Korg Electribes, which I've always wanted to try. Also a fan of the heavy duty metal desktop units in general, my next purchase is going to be the Rare Waves Grenadier.

I have to agree completely on this I won't touch behringer as a brand, I've only ever owned one guitar pedal I gave away to a friend. they've always striked me as the 'IKEA" of music gear, something you buy because it's cheap and convenient in the moment and just feel remorseful until you get rid of it.

I was tempted by the Neutron at one stage but ended up getting a used doepfer dark energy MK1 off eBay after borrowing a friends which I love and was probably more of a better choice in the long run too.

latexcity

Quote from: Lysergikon137 on September 15, 2020, 01:30:51 AM
That's fair I totally get that, I definitely can't casually afford the Malekko or more boutique synths even when working full time and generally rely on second-hand gear which kills the ethics and budget birds with one stone for me personally but is limited in availability as you say. Not trying to be solipsist.

Yeah I'm typically the same used or DIY for me, the Microbrute was the only synth I've ever bought new and I'm put off using big branded modern synths after the experience I had with it packing in so fast.

I work a pretty alright job for my age and have saved a lot of money working from home lately, but just can't justify spending the amount of money some people do on gear.

I'm willing to give the Malekko a go because of the nature of them being a smaller brand, better warranties, better ethics etc.

One day I'd like a Soma Lyra 8 and Make Noise 0 Coast too and both would compliment my setup well but the pricetag puts me off and the used/resale market is tiny for both.