Intox-Z _ Interzona split

Started by Interzona_6666, July 15, 2020, 03:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soloman Tump

What's the deal with Nailed Nazarene.... Have seen them popping up a lot recently.

As far as I can tell, it's a Brazilian netlabel who also release some physical stuff... So you send them files, they upload and push it to social media. Do you as the artist get any cut from possible sales? Or is it mainly an exposure thing?

Interzona_6666

selling or not selling everyone who is showing their work whatever the media are not exposing themselves? Be clear friend and tell me your real intention to comment.

Soloman Tump

I am just keen to know of the business model, and positive reasons for an artist to release via such a label.

Exposure is of course great, but anyone can upload something to bandcamp and share it, and then claim any potential revenue yield for themselves.

Not at all any bad intentions towards the label, just asking for transparency.

Interzona_6666

there are people like me who don't do it for money, it's more a fraternization of people who identify with noise than money, for me it's great, I know several people from around the world, I add new experiences to my work, I launch on several labels with this philosophy maintaining a musical work is difficult and imagine that you have people who do not live where you live and cannot spend money on physical material and there is no scene in your locality to show your work, for me it is very valid, the important thing is if express wherever you are.

Soloman Tump

Hello, didn't realise it was you label, good description of why you are running it the way you are, thank you.

I'm certainly not doing this for money either... I aim to break even in zines and sometimes that happens. Music... Hah, I do it because I enjoy it. Hobbies can cost money, I know that. If I wanted to make a profit I wouldn't have stopped making techno

Interzona_6666

the label is not mine belongs to Silvio Novelletto, I am just one of many artists who launch, for me it is not a hobby it is my way of expressing, I have done this for a considerable time and I do not understand this conversation about money knowing that the producers of any art outside the mainstream rarely returns.

Japsi

Quote from: Interzona_6666 on July 16, 2020, 11:59:51 PM
(...)I do not understand this conversation about money knowing that the producers of any art outside the mainstream rarely returns.

You guys seem to be talking past one another, which is unfortunately common on forums and in particular when non-native English speakers are involved. If I may, I'd like to try to act as a mediator here and hopefully resolve this.

Soloman (as I see it) was simply asking about the mechanics of releasing material on the label, and whether or not the artist gets a cut of the sales. This is a perfectly fine question and doesn't suggest anything about Soloman's intentions re. money.

Interzona (again as I see it) appears to be surprised that a noise artist would ask about being paid by a label, and due to this seems to suspect that Soloman wants to make money from his art. Personally, I don't believe that this is the case.

Is this roughly correct?

If so, I would offer the following as someone who has run a large netlabel: I've released over 50 albums, contributed to over 30 compilations, and done numerous split releases but have not made a penny from any of them. Oddly, my first two releases as Japsi actually made me £5.00 via Bandcamp, which was surprising.

From the perspective of a noise artist, I look at releases on labels - even hard copies, of which I have several on various labels - as being a way to put my material in front of more people. If a label is willing to release my material, I'm happy with the exposure and would rather see them make a few quid from it, whether I get paid or not.

Let's face it, even if a label was willing to give you a cut of the profits from your release, you'd be lucky to break into double figures with the return anyway.

From the perspective of a label: There's a LOT of work that goes into releasing even free material, if you're doing it properly. For example, most labels will add their logo to your albums and edit the artwork to include their name, the catalog number, etc. Then there's the process of uploading and all the time-consuming, administrative crap that's involved.

If you're releasing hard-copies - e.g. tapes, CD-R's - then we need to take the production costs into account, price the item appropriately and market it to an audience.

For me, I have no interest in making money from noise music. I do it because I love it. I released material from others because I loved it, and did so without any sort of remuneration, nor any expectancy thereof.

Soloman Tump

Quote from: Japsi on July 17, 2020, 05:19:42 PM
Quote from: Interzona_6666 on July 16, 2020, 11:59:51 PM
(...)I do not understand this conversation about money knowing that the producers of any art outside the mainstream rarely returns.

You guys seem to be talking past one another, which is unfortunately common on forums and in particular when non-native English speakers are involved. If I may, I'd like to try to act as a mediator here and hopefully resolve this.

Soloman (as I see it) was simply asking about the mechanics of releasing material on the label, and whether or not the artist gets a cut of the sales. This is a perfectly fine question and doesn't suggest anything about Soloman's intentions re. money.

Interzona (again as I see it) appears to be surprised that a noise artist would ask about being paid by a label, and due to this seems to suspect that Soloman wants to make money from his art. Personally, I don't believe that this is the case.

Is this roughly correct?

If so, I would offer the following as someone who has run a large netlabel: I've released over 50 albums, contributed to over 30 compilations, and done numerous split releases but have not made a penny from any of them. Oddly, my first two releases as Japsi actually made me £5.00 via Bandcamp, which was surprising.

From the perspective of a noise artist, I look at releases on labels - even hard copies, of which I have several on various labels - as being a way to put my material in front of more people. If a label is willing to release my material, I'm happy with the exposure and would rather see them make a few quid from it, whether I get paid or not.

Let's face it, even if a label was willing to give you a cut of the profits from your release, you'd be lucky to break into double figures with the return anyway.

From the perspective of a label: There's a LOT of work that goes into releasing even free material, if you're doing it properly. For example, most labels will add their logo to your albums and edit the artwork to include their name, the catalog number, etc. Then there's the process of uploading and all the time-consuming, administrative crap that's involved.

If you're releasing hard-copies - e.g. tapes, CD-R's - then we need to take the production costs into account, price the item appropriately and market it to an audience.

For me, I have no interest in making money from noise music. I do it because I love it. I released material from others because I loved it, and did so without any sort of remuneration, nor any expectancy thereof.

Yes, correct. I wanted to write something along those lines when sat in front of my computer and not madly tapping away on my phone. 

#deleted some other stuff that I started writing but will call it a day there