Christoph Heemann

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, January 11, 2010, 08:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Been listening today "Retrace" 7" by Christoph Heemann. Especially B-side is very nice "dramatic" experimental drone. First I kept listening it at 33, wrong speed. It was really gloomy and slow tones of strings etc. Now, when realized it should be listened on 45, it is still very good, but suddenly much more "up tempo" composition. Hardly a "music". There isn't melody, just harmonic tones.
I have the very first 10" from 1992, titled "Über Den Umgang Mit Umgebung Und Andere Versuche", which I find very very nice experimental recording what simply deserves to be played over and over and over again. This 7" I just mentioned has exceptionally good b-side and today probably rotated 4 times or more? Don't even remember exactly. 10" was better, but 7"s just easily get more rotation.

How are other material? I'm kind of hesitating investing 20-30$ style of prices for items in auctions/2nd hand websites...

How is Hirsche Nicht Aufs Sofa?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Zeno Marx

I prefer HNAS over Heemann's solo material.  I feel he's a better collaborator, music wise, than a solo artist.  Though, the Lebenserinnerungen Eines Lepidopterologen 10"/2CD does have some nice material.  The Abyss collaboration with Merzbow, where Heemann gets the last word, is one of his better non-HNAS recordings.  As for HNAS, I recommend Melchior and Im Schatten Der Mohre.  HNAS sounds like Heemann's artwork looks.  It's dark, yet very playful and funny.  It's skilled, yet it looks like a jumbling of ideas and textures.  I'm a big fan of Mimir, but that is more accessible and musical than the standard Heemann affair.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Henrik III

I like a lot his "collaboration" (not quite sure what he did there but apparently did something) with Charlemagne Palestine "The Apocalypse Will Blossom". Actually might be among my favorite Palestine's which should say a plenty.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on January 11, 2010, 08:04:22 PM
Been listening today "Retrace" 7" by Christoph Heemann. Especially B-side is very nice "dramatic" experimental drone. First I kept listening it at 33, wrong speed. It was really gloomy and slow tones of strings etc. Now, when realized it should be listened on 45, it is still very good, but suddenly much more "up tempo" composition. Hardly a "music". There isn't melody, just harmonic tones.
I have the very first 10" from 1992, titled "Über Den Umgang Mit Umgebung Und Andere Versuche", which I find very very nice experimental recording what simply deserves to be played over and over and over again. This 7" I just mentioned has exceptionally good b-side and today probably rotated 4 times or more? Don't even remember exactly. 10" was better, but 7"s just easily get more rotation.

How are other material? I'm kind of hesitating investing 20-30$ style of prices for items in auctions/2nd hand websites...

How is Hirsche Nicht Aufs Sofa?

I like very much HEEMANN's "Invisible Barrier" and "Aftersolstice". Great items in minimal electroacoustic ambient genre, one of the best which I have listened.

H.N.A.S. is very oryginal (only sometimes reminds me NWW music).
I would recommend their "Abwassermusik" (probably the most noisest in their discography, with plenty of power electronics elements) and "Melchior (Aufmarsch Der Schlampen)" - very interesting postindustrial sound collage in NWW vein.

FreakAnimalFinland

New Noisextra interview online with Hermann!
https://www.noisextra.com/2023/03/01/in-conversation-with-christoph-heemann/

little over 1 hour discussion, that spans over the entire career, starting from early 80's till today. H.N.A.S., Collaborations, solo works, DOM label, making of compilations, challenges of live shows, and so on.

Good stuff. It makes me also think about the difficulty of covering that huge career in 1 hour. Most things feel that when discussing HNAS going into UK to meet NWW and wanting to check out IPS studio, where tons of weird UK stuff of the time was recorded.. it quickly explains that it was so different from all the previous home recordings, that since then wanting to use studio.. and I feel like asking.. so how was IPS studio in mid 80's? What they had? How was stuff done in studio? They had.. synths? Effects? Professional mixing tables and good microphones? No idea what type of studio it really ways. In UK, I guess they call things "studio" even if it is like publicly rent-able some sort of hour/day rate place with some sort recorder there. More like public rehearsal place, not the kind of massively equipped pro-studio with walls filled with racks of gear you could never afford?

Well, anyways, its interview anyone into HNAS or Heemann should check out! Man is also saying he is worst in self promotion and plays rarely live since not really getting offers to play. Perhaps some organizers will catch on that and start sending offers..
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net