Exploring Harsh Noise Wall

Started by Japsi, June 22, 2020, 04:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan

Quote from: CannibalRitual on July 05, 2020, 02:09:20 PM
Those online diaries is exactly part of what killed any interest in contemporary HNW for me. I didn't record so much material over the span of my whole 'career'. How about putting in some effort or quality control?

Christ, now you've done it...

CannibalRitual

JLIAT

Those online diaries is exactly part of what killed any interest in contemporary HNW for me.
What online diaries? I'm simply posting the work i produce, they are no accounts of my life...

I didn't record so much material over the span of my whole 'career'.

So? I've recorded far more than these - http://www.jliat.com/n1tb/index.html 233 DVDs containing 1 TB of MP3s HN (not HNW) playing time 711 days 14 hrs...
http://www.jliat.com/HNW510/index.html  HNW - .WAV 143.7 days

Actually i cant see how skill relates to HNW? Use audacity, create white noise and Bass boost... you have HNW.
How about putting in some effort or quality control?

I put in a fair amount of effort. As for quality control that is only needed to keep out the music.

"I threw all my past music career in the garbage.
There was no longer any need for concepts like 'career'
and 'skill'.
I stopped playing music and went in search of an
alternative."
—Masami Akita

CannibalRitual

Quote from: JLIAT on July 05, 2020, 03:01:37 PM
Actually i cant see how skill relates to HNW? Use audacity, create white noise and Bass boost... you have HNW.

That's exactly how you're not doing it. But I won't say anything more about it now.

JLIAT

Quote from: CannibalRitual on July 05, 2020, 03:18:17 PM
Quote from: JLIAT on July 05, 2020, 03:01:37 PM

That's exactly how you're not doing it. But I won't say anything more about it now.

I'm not doing Harsh Noise Wall, i'm improvising Harsh Noise. Different. 

We have this-

"I threw all my past music career in the garbage. There was no longer any need for concepts like 'career' and
'skill'. I stopped playing music and went in search of an alternative."
—Masami Akita
"no dynamics, no change, no development, no ideas" – Vomir

And then this...

"Question : Is noise over?
Completely, 100 percent. That's part of why I'm quitting the label. All the categories, everything has run its
course. The whole solo culture of it has invented a million people playing by themselves trying to be
geniuses. You're getting a million one-way conversations."
John Olson (Wolf Eyes')

Obviously you support the latter? and it seems a failure for Olson - i support the former.

Rubby

While I don't agree with mr.Olson's statement that noise is "over", I definitely agree with the last half. There is little to no curation, even by artists towards their own work. If I see one more band camp page with 88 albums,hasty photographs as covers, and no physical release, I'll scream. It seems that many of the Audacity -only crowd really think that the cream of their 88 albums worth will rise to the top for even casual listeners, or that their genius will be so apparent that we'll all gladly continue sorting through it. I suppose I may not be one to talk, I'm about to launch a diy label so I will also be trying to convince you all of my curatorial worth. But all of the philosophical and aesthetic trappings are meaningless if the sound itself does not speak to you. A manifesto should enhance the music, not justify it.

Poor Japsi was just trying to share his bandcamp,and has been quite derailed, ha.

JLIAT

Quote from: Rubby on July 05, 2020, 04:53:26 PM
While I don't agree with mr.Olson's statement that noise is "over", I definitely agree with the last half.
But what of the first two quotes, one by a pioneer of Harsh Noise, the other by a pioneer of Harsh Noise Wall.

As for the sound speaking to you, if it does its either music,  or one is seeing patterns in a chaos which is not there, as in seeing patterns in tea leaves or ink blots.

But seriously good luck with your label. As for derailed - how is discussing Vomir re HNW a derailment, surely music with values, communication, entertainment would be. For isn't it clear by definition there is no content of differentiation in HNW, so no basis for auditory judgement. 

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: CannibalRitual on July 05, 2020, 09:20:08 AM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on July 04, 2020, 02:59:07 AM
Quote from: CannibalRitual on July 04, 2020, 12:52:24 AM
Fuck the philosophical angle on HNW.

Doesn't it need a theme/background idea to some extent?

Everyone can choose as they wish. But just putting Vomir's quotes up there as 'rules' is lame.

I pretty much agree.  Never cared much for manifestos.

Rubby

Oh I don't mean to negate this discussion, just meant that I'm not sure it's what the OP wanted his post to be, ha.

As far as Masami's quote, i frankly don't care what he means. I loved his work well before I read that quote. If there is any sort of concept/explanation/manifesto etc. attached to a piece of art, we are all free to take it at face value, completely ignore it, and everything in between. I'm not dismissing that notion at all- i enjoy reading whatever the artist has to say about their work but ultimately I'm not obligated to incorporate it into my opinion of it. Even if the artist INSISTS that their 8 hour HNW is actually intended to be listened to from start to finish while doing nothing else, and only AFTER reading their 7 page manifesto, they cannot control what I conciously or unconciously extract from it.it seems that we noise/industrial types are always searching for the middle ground between "kill your idols" and revering our idols. myself definitely included.

theotherjohn

If people want to discuss this in more detail (or a moderator wants the unenviable task of reshuffling posts to yet another part of the forum), feel free to contibute to this Noise Manifestos thread instead: http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=10710.0

JLIAT

Quote from: Rubby on July 05, 2020, 09:18:46 PM
Oh I don't mean to negate this discussion, just meant that I'm not sure it's what the OP wanted his post to be, ha.

As far as Masami's quote, i frankly don't care what he means. I loved his work well before I read that quote. If there is any sort of concept/explanation/manifesto etc. attached to a piece of art, we are all free to take it at face value, completely ignore it, and everything in between. I'm not dismissing that notion at all- i enjoy reading whatever the artist has to say about their work but ultimately I'm not obligated to incorporate it into my opinion of it. Even if the artist INSISTS that their 8 hour HNW is actually intended to be listened to from start to finish while doing nothing else, and only AFTER reading their 7 page manifesto, they cannot control what I conciously or unconciously extract from it.it seems that we noise/industrial types are always searching for the middle ground between "kill your idols" and revering our idols. myself definitely included.

http://www.jliat.com/txts/Anidiotsguidetonoise.pdf

TL;DR    ;-)