Finnish noisecore

Started by pentd, February 21, 2011, 01:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pentd

ok often everybody seems to accept only the "true" noisecore which comes from a metal/drunk-as-fuck/kvlt background, that is units with influences a la AC, 7mon etc, and thats fine, no problem. noisecore = bursts of lo-fi explosions, fuck you attitude, "rock" band instrumentation (drums, guitars, bass, screaming)... no problem.

but at least here in finland, for years already and right under everybody's noses, there are a few extremely violent sounding units that make very explosive anti-music outside the "metal" background

from a violent free jazz angle:

Hetero Skeleton
Killer Mc Hann
Mohel

and what about Kuolema? from a HC angle, and pretty fuken down-to-the point...

i dont know, man.... in my universe there are plenty of parameters which are similar in these units and the "old-skool", and i can dig that. just sayin... check it out, specially recommend killer mc hann 7"

Ernpe

You probably intentionally forgot Anal Barbara and Funeral Mongoloids?

Quote from: pentd on February 21, 2011, 01:02:52 PMHetero Skeleton
Killer Mc Hann
Mohel

If you take this direction, the new tape by Paanin Kuoro may interest you. Lots of noisecore-kind of bursts in "free jazz". B-side is more conventional stuff, though.

Quoteand what about Kuolema? from a HC angle, and pretty fuken down-to-the point...

Hardly noisecore at all. Take a listen to some of their recent vinyls - tight, ultrafast finnish hardcore. I guess Siviilimurha on the split w/ Agathocles is closer to what could be finnish hardcore/noisecore -mix.
Noise & other underground reviews in Finnish: http://box-is-record.tumblr.com/

heretogo

Quote from: pentd on February 21, 2011, 01:02:52 PM
Hetero Skeleton
Killer Mc Hann
Mohel

Hetero Skeleton / Killer McHannn could maybe qualify as free-jazz-noisecore but Mohel? At least the LP (which is excellent by the way) is pretty "normal" free jazz to my ears.

Also, it's maybe meaningful to note that all those projects are composed of the same group of guys (give or take a couple). So it's not really a "scene" as such.

pentd

i didnt forget anyone cos FM and AB are already known of + talked about here... sure they should be on the same list

well... i dont see things so pidgeonholed... never really did and couldnt care less... i see violence in many types of music, so thats why i thought about... hmmm, whatever

also there are the same few people doing tons of different bands/projects anyway in all these other subgenres, so whats the argument?

narrow subgenre hygiene... i still dont get it.
what i get though is many forms of overdrive energy + de/constructive music annihilation.

heretogo

I agree with pidgeonholing & subgenre hygiene. And you're obviously right about few people doing many things everywhere. I just wanted to point out the fact in this case, that's all.

Anyway, are you familiar with Ascension (S. Jaworzyn + T. Irving)? Guitar/drums violent overload, sort-of from free jazz perspective but the result is total pummeling mayhem. Highly recommended.

post-morten

Admittedly I never heard any of the bands mentioned so far in the thread, but the term "Finnish noisecore" brings back hazy memories from the 80's... when there was a wave of loud, hard, noisy Finnish rock/punk bands such as Radiopuhelimet, Faff Bey, Psychoplasma, Electric Blue Peggy Sue and the Revolutionions From Mars, and perhaps even on a tangent, the greatest Finnish band ever, Mana Mana. Weren't they also lumped together as "noisecore" or something similar, or is my memory playing tricks again?

XE

KOHINA must have been very first Finnish noisecore act late 80s early 90s?  I belive they didnt released officially anything? stuff spreaded throught tape trading (anyone old enough to remember tape trading heh)

Antti O.

FreakAnimalFinland

I recall talking with mr. Itkonen who was in Kohina, and he was talking about bands like GORE ANGEL or such, which were Finnish noisecore, and influence for Kohina. I would guess those tapes are long ago disappeared in void of punk/metal tape trades.. Itkonen mentioned he dubbed over some better punk/hc in lack of tapes!

Quote from: post-morten on February 22, 2011, 10:42:11 PM
Admittedly I never heard any of the bands mentioned so far in the thread, but the term "Finnish noisecore" brings back hazy memories from the 80's... when there was a wave of loud, hard, noisy Finnish rock/punk bands such as Radiopuhelimet, Faff Bey, Psychoplasma, Electric Blue Peggy Sue and the Revolutionions From Mars, and perhaps even on a tangent, the greatest Finnish band ever, Mana Mana. Weren't they also lumped together as "noisecore" or something similar, or is my memory playing tricks again?

I would guess, these could, theoretically at least, be lumped into "noiserock", which is perhaps even more vague term than noisecore. But I have never heard bands like Mana Mana being labeled as "noisecore". Faff Bey being thrash metal, Radiopuhelimet being distorted energy fueled punk rock, Mana Mana being legends of melancholic emotional rock, sometimes almost stereotype to certain things in Finnish radio-metal.

I know Pentd was looking for the less punk/metal bankground stuff, but if talking of "real noise" in finland, I guess list of bands that existed, could be useful as reference:

bands with some sort of proper releases that circulated internationally:
Anal Barbara
ANH
Arse
Arseslaughter
Aunt Mary
Beip
Earslaughter
Futile Existence
Funeral Mongoloids
K.L.V. (early nc, later goth)
Kohina
Nihilist Commando
Noise Waste
Meat Means Murder
S.E.X.
Siviivimurha (some stuff, mostly chaotic hc)
Yesmeansyes

lesser known, but still relevant (? ahaha) at least in Finland?
NNNC, Vapaamelusaaste, Varikset, Total Denial, Gore Angel, Total Noise Pollution, Riivattu Uloste, Ruumiin Munat, Kalju Pillu, Phrenetic Noise, Rotten Bowel, Peaceful Threat, Bampi Polo, Homofobia, Tuho, Dicktator, Sore Anus/ Sore Arse, etc etc.. Mosts did releases, some even several.
Majority os the bands would be side projects of members known from other bands. NNNC from whatever mikkeli punx it was? Vapaamelusaaste with Silakka etc from whatever punk band he had in Mikkeli back then? Varikset with Nallekerho veikki. Ruumiin Munat and Kalju Pillu with semi-legendary kaapo (r.i.p.) as vocalist of Korruptio. Bampi Polo with guitarist of Katastrofialue. Homophobia with mr. Brown and some Naantali/Turku crust band members. Tuho with mr. Haare. Sore Anus or/and Sore Arse with drummer of Kirous and Kyklooppien Sukupuutto.
You could say something like Goat Vulva with mr. Holocausto of Beherit falls into this category. Member of Monkey Mush (swe) was finn, and lives now in Lahti since many years. Also members of Impaled Nazarene has their... was it Anus Cunt? Guess what kind of stuff? Some of the bands had still more side projects, like Yesmeansyes would play few Noise Of The Rose gigs, as tributes to Seven Minutes of Nause. Even being total cover-song/copycat, those live recordings are good. Unfortunately never really released.
Lets say 1992-1995 was probably the "golden years" of Finnish noisecore. In those time when finnish punk/indie on uprise, it was no miracle seeing punk shows with noisecore bands play, and perhaps this cross-over gigs resulted that even bands such as Tehosekoitin played few noisecore tracks in one comp CD, heh! Perhaps part of forgotten history...

One of the best qualities of noisecore is, that it is so meaningless, so stupid and so talentless - at least in theory - that nobody gives a fuck. There's always faster bands who simply play death metal or black metal. There are short explosive and aggressive tracks in hc, grind, etc. When you look for noisy stuff, the noisE is available there. Noisecore is like the deformed fetus that's hoped to be forgotten. Clumsy, pointless, preferably dead. Long live noisecore!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

magnus

Ha! I remember when in the early 90s a couple of Finnish noiscore 7"s had crept their way into a few swedish HC/punk-distros, Aunt Mary + some more. The reactions were along the lines of "ok, 600 songs on one 7", sounds like fun? no, it sounds like shit!"...!

FreakAnimalFinland

When I think of Swedish noisecore, I can't remember much more than... Nojs Bojs, Arsedestroyer,...? Monkey Mush and related of course, but I guess were by finns living in sweden?
Lots of good early punk/hc, lots of early good death and black metal. Lots of action rock. etc.. noisecore? Norway the same. I can't remember anyone else by Lasse Marhaug's connection?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Antti O.

There was some talk after the Pori gig (BU/SS/Grunt) about organizing a noisecore night in the same gallery at some point. Any news on this? Would be great because there's not too many pure noisecore gigs around.

post-morten

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on February 24, 2011, 09:01:27 AM
I would guess, these could, theoretically at least, be lumped into "noiserock", which is perhaps even more vague term than noisecore. But I have never heard bands like Mana Mana being labeled as "noisecore". Faff Bey being thrash metal, Radiopuhelimet being distorted energy fueled punk rock, Mana Mana being legends of melancholic emotional rock, sometimes almost stereotype to certain things in Finnish radio-metal.

"Noiserock" is probably what I was thinking of. There was this Swedish indie-music magazine Sound Affects that devoted a page in every issue to Finnish music, and they wrote about these sorts of bands. I remember they also called it "sågverksrock", hehe. Then after reading about it, I went down to Radioshopen (legendary Finnish music store in Stockholm's Old Town) and bought the albums that seemed cool, from labels like Bad Vugum and Gaga Goodies.

Ryöstö

Quote from: Antti O. on February 24, 2011, 06:57:27 PM
There was some talk after the Pori gig (BU/SS/Grunt) about organizing a noisecore night in the same gallery at some point. Any news on this? Would be great because there's not too many pure noisecore gigs around.

There hasn't been any development with that idea... yet. There'll be one semi private gig soon(ish) in Galleria 3H+K and after that I might not be organizing anymore gigs there, hehe.

But hopefully the noisecore evening will happen in Pori sometime in future, maybe in summer, maybe when Pori Jazz is organized, it might get some artsy jazz fans there, too, hah.

pentd

goddamn axpa, how the fuk can you remember all those bands... uncredible