Current Mail / Postage situation due to Covid-19

Started by WCN, March 27, 2020, 03:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seventhcircle

A package that was "shipped" to me a month ago from Japan, is still sitting in the post office it was dropped off at.
nothing is precious, bastardize everything

Batteryxcage

Haven't ordered international yet, but can confirm certain slowdowns or even possible lost packages? Shirt from southern IL has been lost for roughly a week from it's original estimated delivery date (I am based in WI so not too far.), and some tapes from San Francisco are now delayed indefinitely.

implementsofsacrifice

I've had several incoming international packages indicated as being in the country for anywhere from two to eight weeks. One of them finally showed up yesterday, which is encouraging, but I honestly have no idea when I'll see the others.

bogskaggmannen

Almost three weeks for a CD from Germany to Sweden - and that's close.

murderous_vision

All of my outstanding international packages finally arrived except one from Australia. The fact the others made it gives me hope though.

totalblack

Shipping has resumed from Germany to several non EU countries (Canada, Japan) as of a few days ago, so I'm thinking optimistically that things will resume for the USA and Australia in the near future.

minimal.impact

Quote from: totalblack on May 01, 2020, 11:42:43 AM
Shipping has resumed from Germany to several non EU countries (Canada, Japan) as of a few days ago, so I'm thinking optimistically that things will resume for the USA and Australia in the near future.

The same thought seems to be spreading to PO's here, as this was suggested to me earlier in the week when I tried to post some things.

slugpace

Anyone with experience on how long letters from the U.S. to Europe are taking at the moment? Been waiting for a tape from the U.S. for 3-4 weeks now and although USPS gives a "tracking number" for international letters, they can't be tracked.

whiteheatnoise

Mail service in the US continues to be extremely inconsistent, and not just with USPS but also DHL. Many domestic packages seem to be arriving in a timely manner like mentioned by others, but some are taking wild/inexplicable rides across the country. I had a package sent via USPS First Class from Massachusetts to where I live in Dayton, OH. Currently, it's journey has gone like this:

Massachusetts --> Columbus, OH
Columbus, OH --> Cincinnati, OH
Cincinnati, OH --> Massachusetts
Massachusetts--> Detroit, MI
Detroit, MI --> Texas

The tracking has since stopped updating two days ago.

International seems to have ground to a halt. A package sent to Japan two weeks ago seems to have never even left the US according to tracking info. I'm also waiting on packages delivered via DHL from overseas as those haven't arrived; tracking info on one claims that it was even delivered three days ago.

So, everything is kind of fucked right now. Be patient!

slugpace

Quote from: whiteheatnoise on May 08, 2020, 03:44:47 PMSo, everything is kind of fucked right now. Be patient!
That's what I figured. I've had packages arrive from the U.S. surprisingly quick during the past few weeks, but wasn't sure what the situation was with smaller, non-trackable shipments.

If it wasn't a master tape for an upcoming release project I wouldn't be this antsy, but "everything is kind of fucked right now" sums it all up perfectly.

ConcreteMascara

Just to add to the pile, so far my experiences with sending and receiving have been the same as pre-pandemic. Only one very large domestic package seemed to take extra time to arrive to me. I've just placed an order from Singapore to here and sent tapes to France and the UK which seem like they're moving through, but time will tell. It seems like many domestic mail carriers just have more package traffic than usual because everyone one is home buying stuff, on top of the general pandemic clusterfuck, but I'm always impressed by the fact that international mail operates half as well as it does. I think someone posted here or maybe I was reading elsewhere warning from German post that mail package traffic in Germany, especially around Berlin was super high, so "please be patient", etc.

I'm most interested to see if two packages recently ordered from Japan will make it here anytime soon.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Urban Noise

I'm waiting on one package from Germany that was reported to be on Frankfurt Airport on April 8... since then, nothing... It was a trade and funny enough, my part of it arrived in Germany without any delays. Can't really understand why mail goes out from Portugal without problems, but arriving seems to be problematic.
New Approach Records
www.nghproductions.limitedrun.com
www.newapproachrecords.wordpress.com
www.nekrogoatheresyproductions.wordpress.com

whiteheatnoise

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on May 08, 2020, 05:32:23 PM
I'm most interested to see if two packages recently ordered from Japan will make it here anytime soon.

A friend that lives in Japan just told me that packages leaving the country are "blocked" for the moment, so...

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: whiteheatnoise on May 09, 2020, 03:09:07 PM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on May 08, 2020, 05:32:23 PM

A friend that lives in Japan just told me that packages leaving the country are "blocked" for the moment, so...

fuck.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

holy ghost

I sold a very expensive record (pre-pandemic in December) on discogs and the UK buyer claimed they never got it. I refunded the money ($120) and that shit stung man, AMAZINGLY it was returned to me last week as he either never got the customs slip or just didn't want to pay the customs fees. Anyway if shit is making its way back across "the pond" I have high hopes things will smooth itself out.