NO PART OF IT Interview Series #13: Thirteen Hurts

Started by NO PART OF IT, March 13, 2020, 12:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NO PART OF IT

https://nopartofit.blogspot.com/search/label/interview

One-Eyed Zatoichi is a preferred nomenclature from the spearhead of a noise project called Thirteen Hurts, which also has a leg of it separately titled "13Hz" for his modular work, as I understand it.  I think it's important to note, because I remember being told that there are no other sources beyond pedals for Thirteen Hurts, but to some, it does sound like a synthesizer is in there somewhere.   I met OEZ in Denver several times and again in St. Petersburg, Florida, in which case he drove 2,000 miles to play for 15 minutes at a noise fest.  At that time, he lived in some sort of solar-powered dome within the guts of Colorado foothills, six hours from any sort of civilization.   I've seen noise artists with too many pedals, and OEZ has more than those dudes, but he has a bizarre precision and intent with his performances.  They are cinematic and rowdy in nature.  Of course, he has a release on NO PART OF IT, but his previous two releases are also pretty starkly placed within the realm of what I'd want from a pedal noise/"heavy electronics" artist.  I also find his work to be unique in that I am taken to a specific abstract place when listening to it-- it has substance (which I regularly find off-putting in harsh noise releases) that suggests an intention and would be fitting for some sort of UFO hunter or a person digging around in tunnels looking for reptilians.  What I mean here, is not necessarily do I think OEZ is into that kind of thing, but I find his sounds to be inherently visual/exploratory in a way that I don't come across much.   It is entirely coincidental that this is the 13th interview in the series, by the way.

This interview series is will be published on the 13th of every month, all from people who answered the same questions at the same time, scheduled in February/March of 2019, and will go on for several years.  
A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com