Import tape cassette masters into PC.

Started by Stipsi, March 07, 2020, 11:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stipsi

As title says.
I m curious to know which method you guys use to import your tape cassette masters into PC
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

FreakAnimalFinland

Still these days I prefer to connect tape deck into zoom digital recorder and make wav file. Then transfer that wav to computer. I could use same devides as interface / soundcard type, but never do it. I prefer to make wav file on external devide.
Maybe it is the old phobia of shitty soundcards that often resulted unwanted computer noises while ripping sounds that I just can't get myself to start working with computers that way...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

dreadfulmirror

A friend of mine uses normal Interface and recording is pretty fine this way as far as I know.

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on March 08, 2020, 01:36:11 PM
Still these days I prefer to connect tape deck into zoom digital recorder and make wav file. Then transfer that wav to computer. I could use same devides as interface / soundcard type, but never do it. I prefer to make wav file on external devide.
Maybe it is the old phobia of shitty soundcards that often resulted unwanted computer noises while ripping sounds that I just can't get myself to start working with computers that way...

Just for my personal interest, which digital Recorder do you use?

deutscheasphalt

The question confuses me a little bit - are you asking for specific type of gear?
Because what other way could there be besides a tape machine and an interface?

tiny_tove

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on March 08, 2020, 01:36:11 PM

after purchasing two highly suggested "tape to file" recorders, I shifted to tape to zoom as well. It happened a few times that I don't know why I could hear what was going on on the other side of the tape going reverse in the background.
So get good cables and it will work
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

theworldisawarfilm

Cassette machine run into my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i8) at high bitrate (minimum 24/48 kHz.) Nothing more to it.

Theodore

Quote from: tiny_tove on March 10, 2020, 03:10:02 PM
after purchasing two highly suggested "tape to file" recorders, I shifted to tape to zoom as well. It happened a few times that I don't know why I could hear what was going on on the other side of the tape going reverse in the background.
So get good cables and it will work

All this "digitize your tapes" gear is modern crap. In sound and construction. I bet its head was so misaligned, the transportation so bad, that's why you listened the other side on background. Completely garbage. Assuming we already have decks, walkmans, recorders, we use our best of them to a device or external soundcard. I use my basic Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, and i am completely satisfied. I have set the levels to record at -10dB when deck's meters are on 0dB, to avoid clipping with loud tapes. All simple, all good.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Kim V

Quote from: theworldisawarfilm on March 10, 2020, 05:45:50 PM
Cassette machine run into my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i8) at high bitrate (minimum 24/48 kHz.) Nothing more to it.

Same here. Easy and decent enough quality for me.
you're just a victim of yourself

kiiski

Quote from: Kim V on March 11, 2020, 09:47:37 AM
Quote from: theworldisawarfilm on March 10, 2020, 05:45:50 PM

Same here. Easy and decent enough quality for me.

Also this. And I listen to the tape as I record.