question about merzbow and computer period

Started by diigitae, February 29, 2020, 02:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diigitae

as i'm an user of computer to making digital grind noise i want to know wich album or periods he use computer to making noise(maybe what software he use same if don't mind about that) if you have a list of album or period(i have seen late 90s until 2009 tell me if i'm wrong)

diigitae

thank's in advance for your answers

WCrap

off the top of my head i think "tentacle" or "happenings 1000 years time ago" where the first releases from his computer-era, and if i'm not mistaken he uses max msp.

Bruitiste

Always thought "Collapse 12 Floors" was the first one of the computer era.

acsenger

I believe the first ones were Collapse 12 Floors, the Happenings 1000 Years Time Ago 7" and Tentacle. There's also Early Computer Works which came with the special edition of Scene, but I'm not sure when it was recorded.
He used a laptop (primarily but not exclusively) between 1999-2005. There's a software/equipment list on Turmeric.

NocturnalHiss

from the wiki page for "Turmeric"

QuoteMasami Akita – Max/MSP 2, VST plugin, Reaktor 2.0 & 4, Peak 2.1 TDM, HyperEngine 2.3.1, HyperEngine-AV 1.5, EMS Synthi A, small tin box, piezoelectric mic, duck call, surrounded objects, effects

NocturnalHiss

that said, the technology has changed a lot in the last 15+ years and there are probably easier ways of making most of those sounds now

FYI
- MAX/MSP is a visual coding language that has more recently been integrated into Ableton Live. There's a free/open source equivalent that does not play as well with Ableton called PureData.
- Reaktor is a software modular synth from Native Instruments, definitely a little dated. A free modern alternative might be something like VCV Rack.
- HyperEngine looks like some kind of DAW that may no longer exist
- "VST plugin" could refer to anything...

Cementimental

Quote from: NocturnalHiss on March 01, 2020, 11:21:49 PMHyperEngine 2.3.1, HyperEngine-AV 1.5

could have sworn i found a download of that on some OS 9 abandonware site (via a link from Whitewarlock on another forum?) but I can't find. Looks interesting, would need an olde mac or mac emulator tho. ....Hmm here's some version tho it was not the link I found before. https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/arboretum-45-plus

Potier

I seem to recall an old interview with Zbigniew Karkowski where he mentions Merzbow and Pain Jerk as well as himself using Renoise on and off. Wikipedia is telling me that the first official release of that DAW was in 2002 - so definitely not at the very start of the "computer era" for Merzbow. I cannot find the interview anymore...

https://www.renoise.com/

diigitae

thank's everyone for your answers i was a bit outside of the net this days ;)

diigitae

QuoteI seem to recall an old interview with Zbigniew Karkowski where he mentions Merzbow and Pain Jerk as well as himself using Renoise on and off. Wikipedia is telling me that the first official release of that DAW was in 2002 - so definitely not at the very start of the "computer era" for Merzbow. I cannot find the interview anymore...

https://www.renoise.com/

i know renoise i have use in the past(4or 5 years)

diigitae

diigitae

QuoteMAX/MSP is a visual coding language that has more recently been integrated into Ableton Live. There's a free/open source equivalent that does not play as well with Ableton called PureData

there is a tracker called radium who integrate pure data but i'm not fan