LARRY WESSEL'S ICONOCLAST -- The Boyd Rice Documentary

Started by ironfistofthesun, February 13, 2011, 03:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristian

Mine arrived earlier this week................its a wonderful four hours of chuckles and wry humour.

In my opinion though there is not enough focus on his Music and sometimes it veers off into blatant fawning and Homage to individuals like LaVey and the Partridge Family.................

....................but on the whole it is generally of high quality and interest.

ironfistofthesun

cheers all for the imput i will get a copy asap....he is a tabloid kinda guy so im expecting a tabloid kinda film .

murderous_vision

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on February 18, 2011, 07:53:45 PM

This is what I thought about that Cleveland industrial documentary DVD(r?). I guess it says pro-duplicated, but what the fuck that means anymore in the noise/industrial scene? I didn't want to ask to clarify, but it does say in rules of board that one should be clear  CDR's.

To answer this question, yes, City/Ruins is a factory REPLICATED product. I was also a bit pissed about dropping $30 on DVD-r. Good film though!

HongKongGoolagong

I watched this last night. Very long but managed to consistently entertain and amuse two people who aren't really Boyd Rice fans. A bit too much La Vey and tiki culture worship but on the whole well done and congratulations Mr Wessel.

Had no idea about Boyd's glam rock/Rodney's English Disco origins. The other big eye-opener in there were the (non-radio-broadcast) private conversations between Rice and Bob Larsen, who came across as quite shockingly broad-minded and thoughtful when he isn't doing his professional Christian schtick.

Good scene left in with Boyd talking to anti-fascist protestors who may have been confused but had better things to say than his specious replies. Likewise the radio scene where he insults Sharon Tate's mother in an unforgivable way - I had heard talk that the DVD was a fawning hagiography but there is plenty left in which does not reflect Mr Rice in a great light. The obviously set-up scenes with minor ex-girlfriends talking of his prowess were amusing and tipped a wink to the viewer that not all is as it seems in this documentary.

Douglas P tells a long and boring anecdote of life on tour and manages to convince the viewer that he doesn't have an iota of wit or charisma in him (the improv at the end is atrocious too - hilarious that the film continues to watch them backstage talking about how great it was, although we all know musicians can be deeply deluded) but the empty-headed faded twink Shaun Partridge manages to be the most annoying guest in the whole film.

Very interesting to hear Charles Manson dismiss Rice and Michael Moynihan as a pair of phoneys. Of course everyone is a fucking phoney next to him, and who would want his unwanted brand of authenticity?

I liked Boyd Rice a lot after watching the movie, he seems like a fully-rounded and genuine person. Still not a great fan of his work (except for the amazing 70s Dada stuff) but I was surprised by how enjoyable this film was. 

WATERPOWER

I watched it a few months ago. Content was good- Boyd Rice could read "The Lord's Prayer" to me and I'd be delights, but the document as a whole seemed rather poorly executed, tacky, and self-indulged (that intro... ugh). The graphics were pretty amateur. I too was bummed over the DVDr aspect.