Melody in noise/PE

Started by Vitrufen, January 18, 2020, 02:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitrufen

What are you guys' thoughts on melody in noise and power electronics?
Would you automatically be turned off upon hearing a "structured" melody within the realm of noise? Do you sometimes seek out the more melodic or tonal side of PE?

Of course, if we wanted to listen to melodic music we wouldn't put on a noise record in the first place, but occasionally melodies are there...whether they're distinct or not. Sometimes melodies or harmonies happen even by accident. Mic/guitar feedback causing certain tones, the tweaking of synth knobs creating resonance or harmony with a bassline, resonant loops, etc...

Personally I can enjoy the occasional melody in power electronics, minimal and "tastefully" placed, but it isn't what would be keeping my focus. I think in some cases it can indeed be used for (dis)harmony or atmosphere. Let me know your thoughts...

cutter

Actually really enjoying such things in noise/pe in general, first time and the best for me were musical parts in some of Nicole12 tracks, they seem really tasteful and fit perfectly with other elements.

Balor/SS1535

The first things that come to mind for me are some of the Ramleh tracks on Hole in the Heart, and the noise tracks that are structured around looped sounds (such as on the most recent Zyklon SS album).  I really like the hypnotic effects that melody can have when paired with harshness, especially when combined with good vocals or samples.  I also find it interesting that even the most abstract sounds can be made into a melody simply by repeating them many times.

Hatefukk

To be honest I like both the more straightforward noisy stuff and the somewhat melodic. I thoroughly enjoy Pharmakon's output as well as Lingua Ignota and both use a fair bit of melody in their work without, in my opinion, taking away from the brutality.

host body

some of my favourite noise/pe has melodic elements, like ramleh or early damien dubrovnik tapes, or some prurient stuff. and yeah pharmakon and puce mary both use tonal elements really well, puce mary in her solo work but especially with body sculptures.

pelle

Hit or miss kind of thing in my opinion. Mostly I enjoy it since it can give substance to the sounds.

One example that I love would be this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKHH-vXxSzo

Wouldn't call this specific one PE, but at least goes under the noise/industrial-genre.

Vitrufen

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on January 18, 2020, 04:16:33 AM
I also find it interesting that even the most abstract sounds can be made into a melody simply by repeating them many times.

EyeSquared

I appreciate it very much when noise or PE incorporate more "traditional" musical aspects. Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate the totally raw, just go for it approach, especially live. On the other hand these structured aspects tend to imply to me how much work the artist has put in, and kind of suggests what Zappa would call "Conceptual Continuity" in terms of musical themes and lyrical content. I don't mean to say that pure, unadulterated noise artists do not put major work into what they do, this is just what I get out of it.