Best / Worst of 2019

Started by WCN, December 18, 2019, 10:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Potier

Far from having listened to everything worth listening to this year and keeping in mind some bad memory issues, here's my list for 2019:

Standout Release of the year:

Zbigniew Karkowski - Karkowski/Encumbrance/Gęba (Bôłt)

Other favorites in no particular order:

Treriksröset - Kristen Musik Från Rågsved (Harbinger Sound)
Wince - Shame (White Centipede Noise)
Wince - Fester (Receiving Vault)
Skin Graft - Condemned (No Rent)
Skin Graft - Solstice (Dead Gods)
Skin Graft - Guilt (Alien Passengers)
Rusalka - Base Waters (Absurd Exposition)
Rusalka - Flux A&B (No Rent)
Rusalka - Manipulate - Decimate (Receiving Vault)
Taskmaster - s/t (FTAM)
Taskmaster - s/t (Absurd Exposition)
Primitive Isolation Tactics - We Are Flaming And On Fire (Oxen)
Hostage Pageant - Nothing Left To Smile About (Oxen)
Hostage Pageant - Shielding (Dead Gods)
Worth - Black Medicine (Wonderland Media)
Damno Te - Inferno Lust Machine (Lead Lozenges)
Whip Of The UFO - AFB (Neural Operations)

xdementia

MyrtleLake

2019 constituted a plethora of noise in my listening habits. This list was begun in late October / early November so as to not bias the final releases of the year in my choices. I had acquired enough to make me want to comprehensively review what was there and take stock of what remained in my list for a month or longer before finalizing. After many edits, here is what was chosen.

V/A: The Silent Continuity of All Existence With Which the Victim Is Now One. (Prose Nagge)
If you've ever encountered—who hasn't?—the criticism that all harsh noise sounds the same, this compilation is a poignant rebuttal. There are tracks from artists I am familiar with. There are other tracks from artists with no information, no known releases, and of unknown origin. The simple fact that all of them stand up so strong among one another is astonishing. The source descriptors sound like benign, repetitive fodder in this genre: metal junk, feedback, pedal, distorted field recordings, guitar, and on and on. Yet here those terms showcase their distinguished variety and strength. Each track is clearly different from the others in sound, composition and energy while sharing the tight, focused, emotional clarity which harsh noise inhabits so uniquely.

K.M Toepfer: Undercut. (Absurd Exposition)
I first became aware of this artist's work with the release of Worth's Neanderthal Camera on K.M. Toepfer's label, Lead Lozenges. (A release I have yet to acquire or hear.) At the time, I listened to a number of his label release samples and was unmoved. The idea of using visual information as coded source material was a good one, I remember thinking, but was too intellectually abstract. The sounds lacked any thread to emotively latch onto as a listener. With Undercut, I must congratulate him for his persistence. His vision broke through, paying off in spades. This release sounds classic and brand new at the same time. All of my favorite auditory frequencies and compositional constructions are present. The sound is full, multidimensional, and doesn't neuter itself in only high, middle or low end sonics. They are all utilized with clarity and maturity. If this is the new "computer noise," then please lead the way, Mr. Toepfer. You've caught my full attention!

Smell & Quim: The Yellow Album. (Total Black)
A terrible one to highlight, given recent events. For an album with five versions of the same title, this is a captivating listen. This release avoided for the most part ruining the latter-day S&Q brilliance with overextended song length. There is a weird aspect of drone in recent releases or bang-you-over-the-head repetitiveness. Here, that aspect is largely relegated to the 'worst of the worst,' if you will. Why am I listening to a vitriolic diatribe of misogyny? A quick, off-hand exclamation is easily excused—if jokingly self-exhibiting. A near nine minute, repetitive diatribe? It forces the underlying question(s) that a passed-off joke only hints at. This album, counterintuitively, is as confrontational and disturbingly insightful as the 'worst' of Power Electronics while retaining the ability to laugh at its absurdity. By the way, why are so many people interested in Eva Braun? Personally, I could give a shit (pun intended).

A final point that is strictly separated from the sounds therein: The 5" lathe is wonderfully cut, surprisingly clear. The Yellow Album is a physically exemplary release.

Yureka Ca$h: For Gilbert. (Fusty Cunt)
This release is so honest that it is heartbreaking, yet it equally contains elements of joy, sincerity and amusement. This is the most fitting eulogy for a beloved friend of the artist without sugarcoating the reality of drug addiction, poverty and personal exclusion that affects so many people in modern life. How can a statement be equally difficult and joyous and admissive at the same time? And not only that—it is sonically beautiful and brilliant. I, as many of us, buy multitude of releases on less than knowledgeable grounds in search of the rare gem that rises above the rest. This is one of those. From the honest admissions within, to the celebrations of an otherwise judged, discarded life, to the gorgeous, fold-out poster of a j-card artwork... This is one release worth listening to. At the very least once. Preferably more. A dear statement of love and genuine humanity.

I have a few more to go. To be continued...

ligature impression

I never do lists anymore because I still have plenty of shit from this year that I haven't listened to, but this is some shit I played a lot, and although not really in order, TRR takes the trophy from me.

Favorite HN:
Treriksröset - Untitled 2019
Treriksröset - Kristen Musik Från Rågsved
Wince - Shame
Heat Signature - Dehumanization In Progress
Vile Vulgar - Private Art
Glass Half & Heat Signature - The Dark Relief
Unsustainable Social Condition - Veiled Trash
Jackson-Pratt - Semi Good Lookin'
Worth - Black Medicine
VMS Elit - Fumes
Kiran Arora - Formication
Lapse - Adrenal Battering  
Rusalka - Manipulate-Decimate
Form Hunter - Chrome Tint
Mania - All Aftermath
V/A - The Silent Continuity of All Existence with Which the Victim Is the New One (Prose Nagge)

Favorite PE/Ind:
Linekraft - Subhuman Principle
Absterbende - Gebärmutter
Spiteful Womb - "Grey Chambers" (late Dec. 2018)
Crawl Of Time - It'll Never Be Over For Me
Volya - It Is Too Early To Thank God
Red Glory - Methods Of Self Destruction
Striations - Keepsakes
The Vomit Arsonist - That Which Has Been Forgotten

ekastaka

PE/Industrial somewhat in order:
Alberich - Quantized Angel
Zyklon SS - Racial Superiority
Lussuria - Three Knocks
Blackwatch - Survival Strategy
Koufar - 1(7)8(7)6(7)0
Geography of Hell - Sabra Shatila 1982
Meatpacker - Negative Impact
Laureate - Eurekaphilia
Stahlwerk 9 - Aggrofaktura
Immortalist - Immortality

Black Metal somewhat in order:
Vothana - Never To Submit
Departure Chandelier - Antichrist Rise To Power
Svetovid - Waiting For The End
Runespell - Voice of Oppobium
Vaal - Visioen van Het Verborgen Land
White Medal - East Riding Cart Burial
Skravl - Fire Besværgelser Mod Menneskeheden
Wagner Ödegård - Om Domedag Och De Femton
Serpent Crest - Ritual Euthanasia
Wagner Ödegård - Om Undergång Och De Tretton Järtekn

Miscellaneous:
Lust For Youth - Lust For Youth
Kanye West - Jesus Is King
Chromatics - Closer to Grey

Strong year for reissues:
Genocide Organ - The Truth Will Make You Free
Totale Vernichtung LPs
Svetovid - Nature's Fury LP
Wolfnacht - Ypervoreia LP
Streicher - Annihilism LP
Concave/Convex - Victory Over Body LP
Blackwatch - In the Company of Dead Heroes CD
Trollheim - Im Heidenwald Elfgaards & Ensomhet LP

Other Highlights:
- Went into the year with no expectations and this year ended up one of the best for me
- Traveling through Europe over the summer with friends
- Paris with my lady
- Intended to lay low 2019, but ended up being creatively busy and fulfilling
- Joker was a huge white pill
- Momentum

Cons:
- The continuing plague of figurative and literal AIDS on society
- Pearl clutching thought police fags (although they provide good entertainment)

MyrtleLake

Quote from: MyrtleLake on December 31, 2019, 09:44:15 PM
Continued from above...

Blood Rhythms: Civil War (No Part of It)
I am not one to search out PE releases. The genre is largely facile and rote to my ears. When a PE release finds that elusive spark, then, my attention is rapt. I propose: Here is a statement of the current political and social zeitgeist. The music is oppressive, painful, vicious and bleak. It plods forward; each song attempt new and jarring. It all varies a surprising bit. The ensuing feeling is so frustratingly pent-up until "The Face" spits forth with abandon on Side B. Confident. Clear in voice. Contemptuous. The song is a stylistic outlier to the rest of the album. There are sources and sounds that might happen once, so you never know what might be off-kilter next. Overall, though, it is so very clearly "Power Electronics" without resorting to a recognizable formula. This may or may not be due to the practical super-group of contributors—among them, Dave Phillips (Schimpfluch-Gruppe), Wyatt Howland (Skin Graft) and Dan Burke (Illusion of Safety).

Interracial Sex: Nigger Addicted Jackaholic (Nil by Mouth)
While Civil War speaks to me of larger social expression, Nigger Addicted Jackaholic is an idiosyncratic, unique personal statement. The proceeding Interracial Sex albums grappled with inner subject matter in excruciating, long-form obsessiveness. Sexual orientation and kink. Racial ambiguity and history. Taboo. Personal archives. Each of those studies now collide to paint a comprehensive and mature portrait of the artist in confounding honesty. Whatever is being done to record this work, it sounds like no one else. I doubt there is anything particularly bizarre to the method. As with much work that rises above, it is likely the means of approach which results in a difference. It is sonically beautiful and menacing. It is also an engaging and complicated perspective to more fully inform my own.

chume

Here's some that stick out to me although I have not kept up as well as a lot of you have

Pedestrian Deposit- Dyers Hands (monorail)
JSH- Pariah (fusty cunt)
Kjostad- Dirge (new forces)
Linekraft- Subhuman Principal (tesco)
Jackson Pratt- Semi Good Looking (monorail)
Gang Mold- Dripping Dripping Dripping (sour tapes)
Prurient- Garden of the Mutilated Paratroopers (profound lore)
Form Hunter- Dripping Curve (prime ruin)
Anarch Peak- Vitarium (chondritic sound)
Pain Jerk- Mission Invisible (hospital)
Worth- Ruination Assessment (freak animal)
Cloning- Lapses (fusty cunt)
Dilloway/Wiese- Sniper Counter Sniper (Hanson)
Mallard Theory- Duck Soundtracks (sour tapes)
Viper- Push,Pull,Bend,Repeat (nefarious activities)
niku daruma- Painful Bliss, Final Twist (fusty cunt)

absurdexposition

I always have a hard time keeping up with new releases. With the volume of stuff that comes into the distro it's hard to not just pick out the tried and true favourites in lieu of new or unknown acts, but these are some releases that stuck with me this year:

Ahlzagailzehguh + Skin Graft CS (Fusty Cunt)
Anarch Peak - Vitarium CD (Chondritic Sound)
Consumer Electronics - Airless Space 2LP (Harbinger Sound)
Form Hunter - Wrecked CS (Gracious Host)
MO*TE - Anti Is Anti Is Anti CS (New Forces)
Skin Graft - Condemned CS (No Rent)
Violent Shogun - Kokutai CS (Yes Divulgation)
Wince - Fester CS (Receiving Vault)
Worth - Black Medicine CS (Wonderland Media)

There were 10 releases on Absurd Exposition this year and it's hard not to just write them as my best of 2019 list (and some of these were no doubt my favourites):

Bloomer - Battle's Sign CS
Ted Byrnes - Double Negative CS
Knurl - A Turbulent Obsession CS
MK9 - Contaminants CS
Munition - Gaze/Gauze CS
The Rita - Sharks and the Female Form CS
Rusalka - Base Waters LP
Taskmaster CS
K.M. Toepfer - Undercut CS
+ first AE zine
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

impulse manslaughter

Bought and enjoyed in 2018. Some stuff hasn't arrived yet and I still need to check out some noise/industrial stuff..

7":
Loose Nukes - It's... Loose Nukes
Loose Nukes - Behind The Screen
Matrix s/t
Crown Court - Mad In England
The Avengers - The American In Me
Nurse With Wound - Arcane Reawakening
Linekraft - Death Of The Slave
Haram - Where Were You On 9/11?
Old Tower - Finsterströmung
Vile - Says Fuck Off
Girls in Synthesis - Arterial Movements
Girl Band - Going Norway
Carla Dal Forno - So Much Better
Genocide Organ - Movement
Christina Vantzou - Six Cellos For Sol LeWitt
Kriegshög - Paint It Black

Demo tape:
Rated X
Vile Spirit

LP/CD:
Jessica Pratt - Quiet Signs
Boy Harsher - Careful
Tindersticks - No Treasure But Hope
Richard Dawson - 2020
Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
Puce Mary - The Drought
Cigarettes After sex - Cry
Drahla - Useless Coordinates
Aldous Harding - Designer
Kazumoto Endo -  Keiyo

Rafael Anton Irisarri - Solastalgio
Emptyset- Blossoms
Holly Herndon - Proto
The Twilight Sad - It Won/t Be Like This All The Time
Rhodri Davies & John Butcher - Drunk On Dreams
Deaf Center - Low Distance
RIP Hayman - Dreams Of India & China
Régis Renouard Larivière - Contrée

Reissue/repackage:
Two Daughters - Recordings 1979-1981
Zoviet France - Eostre
Joanna Brouk - The Space Between
K2 - Tekhnodrug
Stephan Mathieu ‎– Radioland

Andrew McIntosh

The only last-year releases I really got into was Puritan Knot's "Puritan" and "Brutalism". Music mainly based on Godflesh's style with elements of other bands thrown in (so it sounds to me anyway, shades of Killing Joke for example), more low fidelity in recording and with the odd track of Noise. Deathbed also re-released an old Controlled Bleeding tape last year.
Shikata ga nai.

holy ghost

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on January 06, 2020, 01:58:52 AM
The only last-year releases I really got into was Puritan Knot's "Puritan" and "Brutalism". Music mainly based on Godflesh's style with elements of other bands thrown in (so it sounds to me anyway, shades of Killing Joke for example), more low fidelity in recording and with the odd track of Noise. Deathbed also re-released an old Controlled Bleeding tape last year.

Never heard of this before now but just after a cursory bandcamp scan this is right up my alley - thanks for the suggestion.

NO PART OF IT

Quote from: MyrtleLake on December 31, 2019, 09:44:15 PM

K.M Toepfer: Undercut. (Absurd Exposition)
I first became aware of this artist's work with the release of Worth's Neanderthal Camera on K.M. Toepfer's label, Lead Lozenges. (A release I have yet to acquire or hear.) At the time, I listened to a number of his label release samples and was unmoved. The idea of using visual information as coded source material was a good one, I remember thinking, but was too intellectually abstract. The sounds lacked any thread to emotively latch onto as a listener. With Undercut, I must congratulate him for his persistence. His vision broke through, paying off in spades. This release sounds classic and brand new at the same time. All of my favorite auditory frequencies and compositional constructions are present. The sound is full, multidimensional, and doesn't neuter itself in only high, middle or low end sonics. They are all utilized with clarity and maturity. If this is the new "computer noise," then please lead the way, Mr. Toepfer. You've caught my full attention!

This is a good one I forgot to mention.  I listened to it today digitally, and it brings out more dynamics than I'd heard on the tape.  I can  say too that RUSALKA's LP on AE is excellent!  I just heard that for the first time today, although it was released technically late last year.   Also thanks for your review of the Blood Rhythms LP!  

I should add (because of the Godflesh reference above) that I just realized a JK Broadrick side project I like was released this past year on Relapse:  Zonal - Wrecked

A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

CMSFoundation

Stuff that came out in 2019 that I listened to a lot or in some way fixated on in 2019:

Posset: "The Golden Handshake That Almost Broke My Wrist" cs [Regional Bears]
Himukalt: "Sex Worker" cs [Total Black]
J. Peterson: "Refusal" cs [Wonderland Media]
Posset & Glands of External Secretion: "Obedience to Authority" CDr [Chocolate Monk]
Bren't Lewiis Ensemble: "Live at Pompei" CDr [BUFMS]
Creep of Paris: "Geronticus Eremita" CDr [Chocolate Monk]
Melkings: "Movement Musik" cs [Regional Bears]
The Haters: "Move Over Lenin" biz-card CDr [Quagga Curious Sounds]
Jim Haynes: "Inconclusive" cs [Audios. Visuals. Atmosphere.]
Yan Jun: "Lanzhou" cs [No Rent]
Sukora: "Ice Cream Day! Nice Day!" CDr [Tristes Tropiques]
The Haters: "Førti" 2 x 10" + flexi [Influencing Machine]
VA: "The Pain Factory" 4DVD [Influencing Machine]
Limbs Bin: "Compassion & Vision" CD [Fourth Dimension]
Consumer Electronics: "Airless Space" 2LP [Harbinger Sound]
Blood Rhythms: "Civil War" LP [NO PART OF IT]