VAT and related (Lungwash, Everything As Dung label)

Started by WCN, October 31, 2019, 12:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WCN

Just wanted to open up a topic to praise/discuss Vat and related projects (Lungwash, Unpenis, as well as his label Everything As Dung). One of the most unique and fucked up contemporary HN projects that has seemingly disappeared. I saw it described as "tin can harsh noise" or something like that somewhere here, which I think is somewhat accurate, but it's an limited description. His work has always dealt with the fried, broken, struggling ugly textures that I love, often executed with power (see the Bubble Probe CS on New Forces) and sometimes with a sick weakness (more Lungwash).

My contact with Chris was always really good but sporadic, but haven't heard anything back from him in a couple years now, and wondering if anyone else has any solid information. Not interested in this being a gossip thread to divulge personal information, just really want to get back in touch and hear more from one of my favorite artists.
Harsh Noise label and EU based distro of American Imports
https://whitecentipedenoise.com/

Baglady

Last time I heard from him was two years ago or so. He wrote that he was eager to start recording again, and wanted to collaborate, but it seems that is yet to happen. Maybe he's active but just don't want to play shows or release anything? Who knows...

I'm more thank thankful for the recordings that are out there though. Truly a kind of his own, Chris. Those last few Vat tapes, where the project peaked, and the Unpenis - Live at Anal Fixation studio tape are among the best harsh noise releases of this decade. Well, in my book at least.

New Forces

New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene

WCN

Quote from: Baglady on October 31, 2019, 01:18:02 PM
I'm more thank thankful for the recordings that are out there though.

I agree, it's not about a need for "more", but as you said, he really hit his stride in those last few tapes, and some of the earlier are really fascinating due to the sound world and vibe they occupy (red rocket dog erection sour milk mania) but leave a bit to be desired in terms of execution... I know there's still a lot left to be achieved for the project. Let's hope he comes back!!!

If anyone in Europe has any related releases for sale, please get in touch as I might be in need.
Harsh Noise label and EU based distro of American Imports
https://whitecentipedenoise.com/

Strangecross

I had the pleasure of meeting the half of unpenis recently, that is not chris. Great guy, and a lot of vat may source unpenis sessions. Unpenis had a practice space full of junk metal that they could use all hours and be reckless in, it really translates in the sound and makes me really want to find a place other than my apartment to make noise in.
Anyone who has not heard 'Bubble Probe' should check that out, it should be on the new forces bandcamp.

Chris might be looking at a domestic life, although it does sound like someday he may make something again and I feel stupid passing this info along.

xdementia

I did a few shows for him back when he and I lived in Boston. VAT was always super intense set of white heat noise with extremely harsh acoustic amplified sheet metal.

Chris is always the quiet gentleman. Really quite a gem. No idea where he is now or what he was doing.

Funny thing was one time he approached me at a show and asked me about a brazilian jiu-jitsu tournament I had competed in. I said I did well but I lost to a tough wrestler in the finals and ended up getting the silver medal. He said "yea that was my brother. He's the coach of the Connecticut state wrestling team." I felt a little bit less bummed about losing to him after that lol

eyesofsatan

VAT at Summer Scum in NYC was one of the best harsh noise sets I've ever seen live. I couldn't believe how hard he worked the PA, and it seemed at times that he couldn't either - as when it was really peaking to that perfect harsh 'umami' (as Brad Griggs would put it) you'd see a shit-eating grin form on Chris' face. It ruled. 'Bubble Probe' is a modern harsh noise classic.

Here's a shitty pic from that gig