Are y'all familiar with any of this gear?

Started by Vitrufen, October 23, 2019, 11:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitrufen

I've accumulated a bit of equipment over the years for various projects but didn't get into noise/pe until about two years ago. I've made a handful of harsh noise tracks but not necessarily in the style I'm going for, I want to focus less on digital equipment since I'm no longer getting much satisfaction out of the recording process. Live and field recordings help with fulfilling my urge for more organic and hands-on recording. I'm still trying to fill numerous mental holes (in regards to recording to cassette mainly) so I can make better use of what I have while getting results closer to what I want.

I'm wondering if any of you have experience with or are fond of any of the gear I have currently...

Tascam Porta02 MkII
Boss BR-800
M-Audio M-Track MkII
Line-6 POD
Yamaha FX-500
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
ProCo Rat
Unknown Casio keyboard
Some (decently) shitty microphone

I'm about to invest in a Mackie mixer, good contact mics and maybe a loop station for rhythmic/repetitive needs. I'm still learning but its exciting...

Pigswill

I'm familiar with known Casio keyboards and shitty mics. Are you looking for suggestions on how to use what you have for noise? Or just general thoughts on that gear?

Vitrufen

Quote from: Pigswill on October 24, 2019, 06:10:14 AM
I'm familiar with known Casio keyboards and shitty mics. Are you looking for suggestions on how to use what you have for noise? Or just general thoughts on that gear?

Aha I wasn't at home when I posted that, its just a little Casio CTK-2090. I'm mainly just looking for thoughts on any of said gear in regards to noise, out of curiosity. For example I haven't heard of anyone using a Yamaha FX-500 (which has interesting effects and options) in a harsher setting.

host body

You've got everything you need for recording feedback loops except a mixer, get a behringer xenyx for 20 bucks used and you're set. I'd just record direct into the BR-800 or Tascam and not bother with an amp and a mic, but that's just me. I'm sure many would disagree and tell you to get an old Peavey combo or a similar cheap but powerful device.

I've got an FX-500 and it's a pretty cool box, the sound is dated and it has basically no headroom but for noise it's a great device. Making your own patches is a nightmare, hah.

Vitrufen

Quote from: host body on October 24, 2019, 05:19:23 PM
You've got everything you need for recording feedback loops except a mixer, get a behringer xenyx for 20 bucks used and you're set. I'd just record direct into the BR-800 or Tascam and not bother with an amp and a mic, but that's just me. I'm sure many would disagree and tell you to get an old Peavey combo or a similar cheap but powerful device.

I've got an FX-500 and it's a pretty cool box, the sound is dated and it has basically no headroom but for noise it's a great device. Making your own patches is a nightmare, hah.

Thanks for the response, I'll be experimenting quite a bit with direct and a mic'd up amp, (of course I forgot to list the Marshall practice amp I have) and designing your own patches is most definitely a nightmare...

Pigswill

Quote from: Vitrufen on October 24, 2019, 07:25:53 AM

Aha I wasn't at home when I posted that, its just a little Casio CTK-2090. I'm mainly just looking for thoughts on any of said gear in regards to noise, out of curiosity. For example I haven't heard of anyone using a Yamaha FX-500 (which has interesting effects and options) in a harsher setting.
I've got a Korg 05R/W rompler that makes some nice and cheesy 90's new wave sounds. Throwing its drums through some fuzz distortion results in some surprisingly beefy sounds. I made a feedback loop with one of my Tascam CD-A500s, which are CD and cassette tape units, and got some crunchy textures out of it (link if you want to hear what that sounds like)

Like what host body was saying, you have a pretty decent collection. If I had that equipment, I'd hook the mic up to various pedals, then record it into the Porta02, play the recordings and keyboard through some other pedal configurations. You could probably get some decent layered textures. Feedback loops into the tape player itself might have some interesting results. Just keep jamming on new combinations. If you're not getting sounds that you like, try different approaches. Or just crank it louder and louder until everything explodes.

Vitrufen

Quote from: Pigswill on October 25, 2019, 03:42:41 AM
Quote from: Vitrufen on October 24, 2019, 07:25:53 AM

I've got a Korg 05R/W rompler that makes some nice and cheesy 90's new wave sounds. Throwing its drums through some fuzz distortion results in some surprisingly beefy sounds. I made a feedback loop with one of my Tascam CD-A500s, which are CD and cassette tape units, and got some crunchy textures out of it (link if you want to hear what that sounds like)

Like what host body was saying, you have a pretty decent collection. If I had that equipment, I'd hook the mic up to various pedals, then record it into the Porta02, play the recordings and keyboard through some other pedal configurations. You could probably get some decent layered textures. Feedback loops into the tape player itself might have some interesting results. Just keep jamming on new combinations. If you're not getting sounds that you like, try different approaches. Or just crank it louder and louder until everything explodes.

I see what you're saying about that CD-A500, I like the second half of that track. Thanks for your input, I have plenty of mental and visual ideas and I'll be immersed very soon.

Pigswill

Quote from: Vitrufen on October 26, 2019, 06:41:30 AM
I see what you're saying about that CD-A500, I like the second half of that track. Thanks for your input, I have plenty of mental and visual ideas and I'll be immersed very soon.

Right on. Looking forward to hearing what you come up with

WhiteWarlock

have had Yamaha fx500 since way early 91 or something...
the manual pdf is around here somewhere and the original hardcopy...
good unit for what it is yet requires massive menu diving for custom results
been inside that machine so much doing repair keeping it living...
SPX series is way better reverb yet no multiFX so this has advantages
make sure your battery is good... create some custom presets
just used old circuit bent yamaha pss480 on bunch of tracks
Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?
FreakMaker
SynthWizards/N01ZE

EXU

Quote from: Vitrufen on October 23, 2019, 11:16:20 PM
ProCo Rat

My favorite distortion/fuzz. Good on itself (esp. with bass and synths) and piles up nicely with others.

I'm about to invest in a Mackie mixer

Can't you use the Boss BR-800 for that?

and maybe a loop station for rhythmic/repetitive needs

Doesn't the POD6 have a loop function?

Vitrufen

Quote from: EXU on November 07, 2019, 03:20:38 AM
ProCo Rat

My favorite distortion/fuzz. Good on itself (esp. with bass and synths) and piles up nicely with others.

I'm about to invest in a Mackie mixer

Can't you use the Boss BR-800 for that?

and maybe a loop station for rhythmic/repetitive needs

Doesn't the POD6 have a loop function?

The RAT is indeed great.
I ended up buying a cheap behringer xenyx802, using it for the no-input results, instead of as a "standard" mixer.
Other versions of the POD have a looper, I don't think mine does.

Vitrufen

Quote from: WhiteWarlock on November 06, 2019, 07:41:41 AM
have had Yamaha fx500 since way early 91 or something...
the manual pdf is around here somewhere and the original hardcopy...
good unit for what it is yet requires massive menu diving for custom results
been inside that machine so much doing repair keeping it living...
SPX series is way better reverb yet no multiFX so this has advantages
make sure your battery is good... create some custom presets
just used old circuit bent yamaha pss480 on bunch of tracks

Menu diving galore, but its an interesting device!

mosquito

Tascam Porta02 MkII - I had one of these but I never used it to record or playback tapes in my setup. Different models of 4 track I've got I feel do those things better, because of speed controls and 4-channel track mixers (verses this one just having two) and switches in place of knobs for channel selecting.
If I recall though this thing was sweet to just have in an effects chain with all the levels blown the fuck out. Taking little toy ass mixers and maxing all the gain (volume max, bass max, mid max, high max, master max, trim max etc). makes for some of my favorite overdrive/distortion you can get. Just plug in an input as if you're recording it, then output sound through the mains or the phones. You might have to hit record with a tape in there in order to monitor the sound live, by the way.

Boss DD-3 has the hold feature , it's their first delay pedal that did. In my opinion that's the best loop station you can get & all you're ever gonna need. I've got a DD-9 I think - it's whichever one does stereo delay.  I never use stereo delay, rarely use any delay settings except hold.
Great job getting a Rat as well, you're gonna do great.

Casio Keyboard - this being cool really depends on which one it is. If you've got an SK-01 you hit the jackpot, same goes with any of the sampling ones that allow input. Never myself owned one of the Line 6 pods but they're multi-fx units, right? Because even if you've got a tonebank or something you could run it through that thing and fuck up the sound a bunch.

Vitrufen

Quote from: mosquito on December 11, 2019, 11:26:30 AM
Tascam Porta02 MkII - I had one of these but I never used it to record or playback tapes in my setup. Different models of 4 track I've got I feel do those things better, because of speed controls and 4-channel track mixers (verses this one just having two) and switches in place of knobs for channel selecting.
If I recall though this thing was sweet to just have in an effects chain with all the levels blown the fuck out. Taking little toy ass mixers and maxing all the gain (volume max, bass max, mid max, high max, master max, trim max etc). makes for some of my favorite overdrive/distortion you can get. Just plug in an input as if you're recording it, then output sound through the mains or the phones. You might have to hit record with a tape in there in order to monitor the sound live, by the way.

Boss DD-3 has the hold feature , it's their first delay pedal that did. In my opinion that's the best loop station you can get & all you're ever gonna need. I've got a DD-9 I think - it's whichever one does stereo delay.  I never use stereo delay, rarely use any delay settings except hold.
Great job getting a Rat as well, you're gonna do great.

Casio Keyboard - this being cool really depends on which one it is. If you've got an SK-01 you hit the jackpot, same goes with any of the sampling ones that allow input. Never myself owned one of the Line 6 pods but they're multi-fx units, right? Because even if you've got a tonebank or something you could run it through that thing and fuck up the sound a bunch.

Thank you for the response,

I'm recording with the BR-800 but have the same idea in mind of placing the Tascam in the effects chain or feedback loop for the great overdrive. I've not only been in the process of milking all of these devices of all their tricks, but also picking up a few new things like contact mics and a Korg Monologue. The Monologue in particular is something I'd like to seriously contort if I'm using it for noise. For PE I dont mind things being slightly more synth-heavy. The BR-800 is actually giving me good results when it comes to the metal abuse, I think for the harsher stuff I hold good/interesting junk sounds above most else but I'm interested in all of the other sound possibilities/combinations by all means.

I have barely messed with the functions of the Casio keyboard. Apparently it has a sampler but will have to look into it, I'm not sure how it works and don't know how effective it is...

XXX

Quote from: Vitrufen on December 11, 2019, 09:08:49 PM
I have barely messed with the functions of the Casio keyboard. Apparently it has a sampler but will have to look into it, I'm not sure how it works and don't know how effective it is...

what model is it? if its SK-1 or SK-5 you've got a VERY useful machine. i've done entire sets w nothing but sk5 to great effect.