noise with unusual dynamic range

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, October 09, 2019, 09:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

While dubbing Mania "All Aftermath" tapes, I tend to listen every dub I make - of course not completely, but handful of seconds from both sides, to make sure sound level and brightness is on level I expect them to be. Often noise tape is easy to measure. If red light is blinking, its good dub. This tape, has so much dynamic range, that it varies from fairly quiet to loud. So always listening short fraction located about 2 minutes spot from beginning of tape and the b-side from same place. I know it is sort of lame to praise things you put out on your label, but after listening this tape many times in full, but also listening literally more than hundred times this one particular fragment of it, it makes me wonder how much there is noise with such a rich dynamic range?

And would you prefer noise that is as loud as possible all the time, or is there particular favorites where albums/tapes have wide dynamic range. Tension, expectation, climax... and not just all climax? hah...

Especially with contemporary CD production, everybody tends to push master to ultimate maximum, which can be fine, but also shows certain limitation. If you are already at the absolute maximum, where you go when you want some particular elements to stand out notch more?

I am not particularly fan of noise being like equivalent of "jump scare" tactics of horror movies. But I am quite surprised how little there are noise compositions that take advantage of CD format (or digital in general) dynamic range. Too bad I can't remember at all what was the first CD that made me think about. I just remember that I was listening some experimental, yet noisy CD, that had been going for long time. Volume was adjusted to perfect to what it should be. And then suddenly I am thinking what is that HUGE sonic roar, bass-loaded and colossal sound, as if bulldozers ready to demolish your house. And get up to watch from window, and turns out it was "just" as sounds on composition, that managed to surprise. When rest of the album was happening on certain volume and certain frequencies, suddenly bassy droning element was slowly crawling in, using both, way way wider frequencies and way louder volume, that it really added another dimension to piece you thought you were already listening loud.

With this Mania tape, there are some of those moments. When you crank it up, on volume, and it slowly starts scraping and clanging and crushing, but there is more to come. Parts of the tape, compared to other parts are extra punishing if you thought to listen it with the volume it has in very beginning.

Favorites, recommendations? Not perhaps just the cut-up noise that vary with expected silences and maximum bursts, but albums with somehow surprising dynamic elements?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

pentd

Das Synthetische Mischgewebe & Artificial Memory Trace albums go widely everywhere... many more i'm sure...

Baglady

Off the top of my head; MONDE BRUITS - Purgatory. It's been a while since I lst played the tape, but I always think of it as a very wild ride, both in terms of 360 degree stereo mixing, almost surround sound experience, and also for it's dynamic sound levels. It's a real rollercoaster with volume shifting from quiet to loud and back again, swirling around everywhere. Especially in headphones. And though being an overall loud ass tape, it feels like theres plenty of space for the sound to move around, not packed to the very max.

Decrepitude

First one that came to mind was Jason Crumer's Ottoman Black. Very cleverly mixed and works wonders with headphones.

PedestrianOrgans

Maybe I'm venturing too far into concrète-ish stuff, and maybe that's tangentially what you're looking for...? But Mlehst has always been a huge favorite as far as never quite knowing what will come around the corner, so to speak. Wildest array of sonic textures that still constitutes a brilliant whole piece.

FreakAnimalFinland

All these, familiar with and certainly appreciated.
Just listening Dave Phillips "Ritual Protest Music / clearing" CD. It is indeed dynamic, but also makes me want to specify this topic to pretty much harsh noise. I can expect electro-acoustic, musique concrete and such recordings to be very dynamic. Harsh noise, much less examples to find?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

deutscheasphalt

I had similar experiences to what you were describing in OP listening to Radboud Mens / Hyware 's compositions - especially his tape on GROSS.
Personally, I like using dynamic range both for acoustic journey throughout a track or to blast loudness but it really depends on the atmosphere of the whole piece. What you called "jump scare" or what I would call "PE drop" is really cringe in my opinion.

holy ghost

Kevin Drumm's Trouble CD (iirc) was mastered at a shockingly low volume - I believe there was a very specific reason for this (to force the listener to "focus" on the audio, perhaps?). I don't know if I thought it was an interesting idea but it was an interesting concept at least.

Vermin Marvin

Just listening Peter J. Woods "Creation Death Machine" CD for long time. First time it rip my ears out but i think it fits perfectly here because it fkin up your hearing if you dont find right spot from volume.

Theodore

I dislike loud digital mastering which in most cases means lack of dynamic range. I have seen tracks with 0.0dB waveform peaks and total RMS 0.0dB , zero dynamic range, total loudness. Call me pussy this doesnt sound good to me, digitaly. But it can be worse ! Having big dynamic range and RMS peaks at 0.0dB. You start listening, starts low volume, you adjust volume knob, sit down and then ... boom ... you spill your coffee ! I like balance. Not too loud, not too big jumps. Tape medium seems to offer it better. Hm, i am getting older ...
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Balor/SS1535

I really liked Mania's "Insidious and Alone" for this reason.  Shifting from harsh walls of static to atmospheric junk sound in the background gave the album great dynamic range - while also, in my mind, adding to the meaning of the music.

Zeno Marx

I don't think I fully understand the question or direction of the thread, but when I think of dynamic range in the noise context, I think of Merzbow in that golden period of the 90s.  That's not really dynamic range though.  That's more really good production value rather than dynamic range.  Even then, on a dynamic range meter, like the one you can install in Foobar, you get all 0s.

Don't some of Hal Hutchinson's recordings have big dynamic range?  I can't think of any titles in particular.  I'm not well versed in his work, but I seem to remember that about him.  Those are more industrial and style shifts than "noise".  Correct?  Maybe that is more what you mean in the context of noise?  Early Dissecting Table has decent dynamic range, but that is also inherent in the composition for dramatic effect and within reason.

I love me some dynamic range in recordings, but dynamic range in the context of style shifts or especially in production fuckery just to cause someone to run from their seat with fear they're going to blow out their speakers because that moment or passage is jacked...yeah, no thank you.  That's a game I'm not interested in playing.  It's rinky-dink.

That's like the Exit-13 - Ethos Musick CD version, when you transition from the grind tracks to the noise track.  BAM!  As a novelty, sure, yer real funny.  It ain't much else beyond that.  You can read about that nonsense in the bottom paragraph here:
https://www.discogs.com/Exit-13-Ethos-Musick/release/411773

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Decrepitude on October 09, 2019, 10:28:06 AM
First one that came to mind was Jason Crumer's Ottoman Black. Very cleverly mixed and works wonders with headphones.

Couldn't agree more. Endless praise for that album.

And while I know they don't get a lot of love here, at least publicly, many of Wolf Eye's CD album had lots of dynamics in volume in sound. Burned Mind, Dread and Human Animal especially come to mind.

Prurient also had some "surprising dynamics" in the 2006-2010 period, with some songs kicking into much louder sections seemingly out of nowhere. Rose Pillar and Cocaine Death come to mind.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

MyrtleLake

I believe I understand what is being asked. Extreme volume shifts are not it; although, a waveform may appear that way. Usually recordings that exhibit a useful dynamic range have elements that are forceful, weighty and emotive rather than suddenly LOUD, disruptive or obnoxious.

I would offer K2, Rainy Tritium 1 on Oxen as an example. The overall album is indeed harsh noise and, obliquely, noisy. Yet there is a wide range of sources and, at lesser times, an unsettling smooth, peacefulness. That repose is repeatedly washed over with what I would call sickening fronts of deranged waves. Without being literally loud--as in, rush up, turn down the volume surprising--the waves are right over the edge of being uncomfortable in their dynamic volume.

Rainy Tritium is one of my favorite K2 recordings. Both the sound palette and composition are evocative and appropriately disturbing for the album name and song titles: Pollution with Huge LiesMOX [i.e. Mixed Oxide Fuel] and Unpeaceful Song for Rainy Tritium.

"In June 2016 the Tritiated Water Task Force released a report on the status of tritium in tritiated water at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant," which stated, "Tritium could be separated theoretically, but there is no practical separation technology on an industrial scale. Accordingly, a controlled environmental release is said to be the best way to treat low-tritium-concentration water."  Source: Wikipedia.

"All titles de-composed & played... Sept.-Oct. 2016" Source: CD booklet.

Stipsi

For me personally encephalophonic is a master using these kind of dynamic skills
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.