Noise at young age

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, October 07, 2019, 09:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashraf

I'm 40 now and put out my first tape (a split with Crank Sturgeon) at age 16. My output since has been sporadic and not necessarily better than the teenage wonder years. 

Euro Trash Bazooka

Quote from: Cementimental on October 10, 2019, 05:28:11 PM
Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on October 07, 2019, 12:19:34 PMAnd I would also walk around with the tape recorder on and record everything and listen to it afterwards. Those tapes are sadly loooong gone but at that time

Aged around 10 or so a friend and I made a recording by taping a shoebox taperecorder to a skateboard and rolling it down a hill. Also used to enjoy putting sellotape over the internal mic and recording the sound of ripping it off. gonna try that one again come to think of it :D

i'm sure i still have at least one childhood random recordings tape, I must find.

You sure do need to find it for us to hear it!!
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

Soloman Tump

My 4 year old son started a band with our 2 year old.  Both on drums and singing, I recorded a few of their "sessions". Hope to use them one day!

There is also HAQ123 who play death metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2XPTNl5DdI

cr

I think I was already 19 (1994) when I finally discovered Noise. Before that it was Punk, some Metal, Noise Rock and various other music, but I always felt that I wanted something "more intense". Back then I knew nothing about Noise or Industrial. Some mentions of Throbbing Gristle here and there in the magazines I read, but without the chance to actually listen to it. I then came across an article about a project called Merzbow and from the description this seemed to be the thing I was looking for. But it was impossible to get those records anywhere near the area I live. I investigated further though, and tried to remember the names of some of the projects. And then, when I first went to London the end of the same year, I grabbed as many records I could afford - Merzbow, TG, Whitehouse, SPK,... and it was some kind of revelation. Happy memories. Enthusiasm hasn't stopped since then. On the contrary!

Edit: On the topic of making Noise by myself - one or two years before 1994, I borrowed a guitar from a friend and recorded some tapes experimenting with feedback. Also messing with radio sounds/shortwave. As said, back then I didn't even know something like Noise existed. I was just making and recording the sounds I found pleasure in listening to. Recorded very few since then, because I'm absolutely talentless, haha. So most of all, I'm a fan.

NO PART OF IT

This isn't pre-internet but I met Malware in 2013, when he was at the age of 14.  We did a show in Cleveland, at a bar, and he played first, was accompanied by a parent and left promptly after.   I've seen three sets by him and they've all been "game-changing" levels of wicked.  He's done a collaboration with Dwid Hellion, and at the time, he referred to him as a "mentor" for what it's worth.  He's still active but I forgot what he changed his name to.  https://www.discogs.com/artist/2215334-Malware

If anyone knows, please fill me in! 

I think part of it also is that, at least in Chicago, the proliferation of ALL-AGES venues really dwindled after the 90s.  I guess it had to do with sharper liquor laws. 

I discovered/"invented" just like anyone else at a young age.  I messed with playskool turntables and cassette recorders, etc.  I had two boom boxes with auxilliary mics and did various tapes based on the distance of sounds being reproduced.   I remember not knowing what a mixer was or how DJs do DJ sets, so I assumed that they cut pieces of tape and spliced them, so naturally I tried to do my own DJ sets by cutting up tapes, and the result was more enjoyable than successful.  I think I was 10 years old when I did that.  In general, I started trying to make recorded music at age 18, and was a miserable failure at it, to the degree that I enjoyed the mess I'd made more (on acid especially).   And that was pre-internet.  As a result, I feel like I can tell when people have gotten into it after first hearing everyone else, especially when they come into it with a sort of metalhead mentality ("I've got to have all the expensive gear").   To me, I am more stimulated by people with crazy ideas for sound. 

A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

MagBaX

I started releasing when i was 15, since then i've deleted most of it but it still happened. Now at 17 i'm still creating and releasing some

Gefühlloser

This is always a fun discussion. I definitely had that moment when I was 16 where I realized that I had been making some really horrendous noisy shit as a bad joke before I was actually told by a friend to listen to Merzbow, and Fushitsusha, as well as my first experiences with Anal Cunt, 7MON, etc.

It took a few months for it to all sink in, and then it made sense. Eventually it becomes odd when people say they don't get noise, or free jazz, or dark ambient, because it's like riding a bicycle for you once no structure can surprise you.

I stopped caring about releasing any of my stuff years ago (was also a bad alcoholic during this time), or trading, or really talking to anyone about noise. I just do shit in my own time when it comes forth, and largely keep it to myself. Honestly, I get more out of reading the forum about what influences people's sounds than in necessarily needing to hear the shit these days. The philosophy, and the range of thoughts that people are having I think is what keeps me interested, otherwise I could just forget about noise or music completely.

I also have maybe 1 or 2 of my old recordings from 10-15 years ago on a random burned CD somewhere. I don't have a physical copy of anything that I personally released. Just any newer recordings that happen from time to time. Maybe I'll do some compilation tape in 5 years or something. Enough about me though.

Cementimental

Unearthing ancient filez, found childhood Super Studio Session songs :D A lot of these consist simply of changing the demo song instruments to rooster, explosion, heavy metal guitar etc

Cranial Blast

Quote from: vomitgore on October 07, 2019, 11:21:30 AMDefinitely unusual for people to get into Noise before reaching 20. I guess styles like Black Metal, Hardcore, Punk / RAC and such are the starting point in Teenage years and Noise opens up once philosophical and sonic paths have been pursued for some time. At least that is my observation. Maybe thats one reason why most people don't "quit" Noise like they do with Punk or Metal.

Would actually be interesting to see more teens in Noise.

My first experience with noise was when I was 17 years old working at a movie theater, high school job! I had a really cool manager/boss who worked there too and hired me and he was into all kinds of cool 70s 80s cult horror cinema and shits, which I was too at this age, but in the backroom he'd always be playing The Grey Wolves and I remember it was the album Catholic Priests Fuck Children and it was probably the CDr at this time, which was roughly around 2000-2001. By the way, that's a title you never forget, haha but I remember at that age I wasn't into it in the least bit, it was interesting, but I thought why would anyone want to hear this all the time? It wasn't until my mid 30's that I came closer into PE/Noise and then it became an immediate obsession. I think noise is a genre that is more appealing to men in their 30s perhaps, because by 30 if your a music maniac and you've discovered everything else, noise can be like that last final frontier in some respects. I'm glad I had that opportunity back when I was 17 to at least hear The Grey Wolves when my manager was counting the all of the tills at the end of the the shift . At least I had an idea that music like this existed back then.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Cranial Blast on December 07, 2023, 05:02:59 AMI think noise is a genre that is more appealing to men in their 30s perhaps, because by 30 if your a music maniac and you've discovered everything else, noise can be like that last final frontier in some respects.

It is curious thing, that currently in Finland, we can see this happening. Several people are now active at noise, seem to be people who have had some interest in noise, or knew its existence, but never were die-hard noise guys, and suddenly, it is not anomaly, but repeating pattern that seemingly new noise artist is someone at their 40s! Some finally find noise that has aesthetics they prefer, instead of instant turn-offs. Some just have now finally supply of noise albums. Something you didn't have back in the day. People to discuss with, get recommendations etc. Plus at certain age, you may even have the money to buy things. I am not sure, but I have gut feeling that instead of youngsters, noise does lure the older people to join. (I wrote about it more in SI website "Noise - youth culture?" -piece)
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

tiny_tove

got my first noise/industrial tapes through a goth girl's younger brother. I didn't know what I was listening to since there were no labels nor titles, but loved it a lot. I understood what it was after getting some random zines in a package from soa record label and later around when I was 18 via helter skelter distribution who was selling manson and serial killer related stuff and at the same time I saw some gigs of Italian noise /industrial projects and in 1993 whitehouse in Italy... that changed everything for me
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0