Noise at young age

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, October 07, 2019, 09:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Another topic spawned by listening Harsh Truths podcast... There was interview of Jim Haras of Deterge, PTM, Fusty Cunt etc. Already from spring 2017. It is good and also quite amusing interview. Often interviewee has merely role of saying "sure", between the swift paced monologues that Jim has for hour and half. Not a complaint. Exact opposite actually. I am quire surprised how articulate all people are in interviews I have listened thus far. Clear, zero hesitation talk from all.
https://harshtruthspodcast.wordpress.com/2017/05/17/episode-4-deterge/

So, in the topic you get to hear man started his interests in rough & heavy music, at age of... 13? And already making noise at very very early age. Nowadays you often hear about all music scene getting old. People who start doing stuff, are often at 20's or 30's.  It is hard to make conclusions when there is no actual data, but to me it often seems that people who've been into noise since very early age, are a bit different from those who casually enter "scene" at older age? Most often, there seems to be element that they made noise, before they knew there was a "noise scene". Or noise as form of published sound.

Starting my published noise works at age of 15, at that time, did not seem anything unusual. Now, when I try to think where are 15 year old Finnish noise guys (or international), I am not sure how many and where. Answer is probably that not on www forums, and keeping distance to old farts? Not doing the same thing, that was done in 80's and 90's.

Of course most creations of those times, the makers themselves consider embarrassing at best.

Yet this remains quite interesting thing. If the generation before internet, who sort of "invented noise by themselves" as a youngsters over and over again, are somehow different from what breeds from situation where adults try out things where infrastructure, tools of making and network is existing and obvious?

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

NaturalOrthodoxy

Total Mom who has 2 tapes on No Rent is 16 years old apparently- good crude harsh noise!

Admittedly I got into noise in my mid-twenties, but after more than a decade of metal/punk/hardcore and entry level weirdo music like Tom Waits. I'm lucky to have met someone (at work, no less!) who guided my tastes towards contemporary Finnish stuff and old Italian stuff which shaped my tastes.

vomitgore

Definitely unusual for people to get into Noise before reaching 20. I guess styles like Black Metal, Hardcore, Punk / RAC and such are the starting point in Teenage years and Noise opens up once philosophical and sonic paths have been pursued for some time. At least that is my observation. Maybe thats one reason why most people don't "quit" Noise like they do with Punk or Metal.

Would actually be interesting to see more teens in Noise.

Bloated Slutbag

This is a bit of a re-tread of something I once wrote elsewhere in this forum, but-

I would guess I got into this kinda shit around the age of 13 or 14. No internet but plenty of college radio. There were three college stations in Toronto (CKLN, CIUT, CHRY), plus a show on local TV (City TV) and a regular weirdo show on national public radio (CBC). And other college stations I occasionally encountered (CKUT, Montreal). So no internet but plenty of sources, not to mention the various shops in town. My assumption, perhaps needless to say, was that there were plenty of people all over the place making weird sounds, an assumption that I'd say was later quite plainly borne out.

I remember reading that Eliane Radigue was inspired on hearing Pierre Schaeffer on French public radio. In the 50s. So obviously it would be difficult for me to understate the importance of public and/or college radio. And equally difficult to imagine people who grew up watching movies like 2001 A Space Odyssey would imagine themselves as having invented jack squat. At the very least subconsciously there would have to have already been plenty of fodder (as in fully formed and realized fodder) for the creative juices.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Euro Trash Bazooka

I remember recording distorted sounds from a cheap Bontempi keyboard I played through the microphone of a Fisher Price karaoke radio with the volume turned to the max on my Fisher Price tape recorder (the same that's on my profile pic) when I was about 7 or 8 years old. And I would also walk around with the tape recorder on and record everything and listen to it afterwards. Those tapes are sadly loooong gone but at that time, I only knew of stuff like ACDC or Led Zeppelin and only wanted to listen to agressive textures. I had no idea such music already existed until I turned 17 or 18 but this was pre Internet days. My parents just thought I was weird...

Obviously, I don't think that it counts so much but had I known someone  back then who would have made me realise making atrocious sounds and dumb field recordings was actually worth listening to for some people, I would have sent the recordings to Frank Goshit or something haha.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on October 07, 2019, 11:57:05 AM
And equally difficult to imagine people who grew up watching movies like 2001 A Space Odyssey would imagine themselves as having invented jack squat. At the very least subconsciously there would have to have already been plenty of fodder (as in fully formed and realized fodder) for the creative juices.

Still it would be a bit willfully ignorant of me not to acknowledge the distinctions to be realized more specifically in the fields of (harsh) noise and pe. For me evidently at one level it would all, all of it, have to be part and parcel of the same whole shebang. But looking at Hijokaidain, who trace their inspirations to LAFMS but who have also suggested that they felt they were onto something of a completely different order. And of course, I do feel at some level that they were quite right in that feeling. And have no doubt often celebrated my er convictions along those lines.

Man I've totally blown this post.
And take you for a drag

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on October 07, 2019, 12:19:34 PM
I remember recording distorted sounds from a cheap Bontempi keyboard I played through the microphone of a Fisher Price

Ohhh shit. Fisher Price. Damn that needs to be acknowledged as a major inspiration. I remember my cousin and I recording one of those baby rolling balls...which sounds like gamelan. And for that matter other cousins and I fucking around with other Fisher Price kit. Those fat plastic records. All that stupid shit kids do when they get their hands on a tape recorder.

Yeah, fuck college radio. It's all down to Fisher Price.

Didn't The Residents record a whole album with Fisher Price toys?
And take you for a drag

Euro Trash Bazooka

Yes, Fisher Price music stuff ruled my world. And that Sony Walkman for kids through which you can see the mechanics inside. I still use it all the time and it never died on me after many years of crazy abuse. That stuff must be be 30 years old nowadays, it still plays loops like a charm.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

GEWALTMONOPOL

In this time of Ginger Baker's passing I remember a documentary about experimental music I saw at 12 which featured him, Neubauten and a bunch of others. I remember he seemed very angry. If anyone knows where to find that I'll be eternally in their gratitude.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

seventhcircle

I've always been fascinated by sound in general- I was classically trained for 10 years in piano, starting at the age of 6. During these musically developmental years, I would always try to pull weird shit with my piano instructors.. "You're making noise, not music!". Out in public, I would always be drawn to sounds that involved the clanking of heavy machinery, distorted buzzing, whirring/droning, etc. Any strange sound I could get out of an object, was a simple pleasure.

In high school, when an ex-gf bought me a MIDI controller, after I expressed interest in making electronic music, I started messing with noise via soft synths. I would never listen to noise, only make it. The closest thing might have been the IDM I was listening to. At the time, I knew there was a noise scene out there and I was familiar by name with some bands, but I never really bothered to explore that until a few years ago.

My relationship to noise had been entirely personal up until I decided to started to attentively listen to classic acts, which was spurred by being traded a tape that I had no idea would be Power Electronics until I received it. And now I keep up with some of the newer stuff. Sometimes I feel embarrassed that I was late in the game for listening, but better late than never!
nothing is precious, bastardize everything

teenagelightning

When I got my first electric guitar, amp, and distortion pedal around age 12 or 13 I quickly discovered audio sources other than guitar can be put through a distortion pedal. I had some cheap keyboards and mics and things like that. Eventually got a mixer and discovered you could make feedback loops, none of this produced anything that you would want to listen to though and it would be years later I actually discovered noise music as a "thing." Just  "Experiments" In a vacuum without context of related music usually does not usually produce desirable results imo

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: vomitgore on October 07, 2019, 11:21:30 AM
Definitely unusual for people to get into Noise before reaching 20. I guess styles like Black Metal, Hardcore, Punk / RAC and such are the starting point in Teenage years and Noise opens up once philosophical and sonic paths have been pursued for some time. At least that is my observation. Maybe thats one reason why most people don't "quit" Noise like they do with Punk or Metal.

Would actually be interesting to see more teens in Noise.

As someone who is 19 and has been seriously exploring noise for about a year now, I must say that your comment pretty much maps out how I got here perfectly.  I have always been of the opinion that people are able to appreciate more extreme music only after having been introduced to it through some other, more accessible medium.  It's really easy to go from the typical "starter" black metal bands to more underground stuff, after all.  I remember when I first listened to noise, I didn't really get it until after I had gotten deeper into other extreme forms of music.

ANDROPHILIA

somewhere i think i have some tapes recorded when i was 16-17.

first noisy show when i was 17 i think. But i was involved is lofty situations in between to Einsturzende neubauten and Crass.
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

urall

For me it's a combination of

* playing in a grindnoise band so you get to know other freaks
* older friends in bands turning me into Cold Meat Industries and other Industrial stuff (Test Dept, etc)
* going from buying Yacopsae, Rot and Agathocles releases to buying the Bastard Noise/Unseen Noise Death 7" and going into the Napalmed, Bizarre Uproar rabbithole

at age 15/16

I think perhaps a lot of people are too self conscious to put something online/out at an earlier age currently ? Back in the day nobody cared about that or getting validation from my experience so they put out tons of shit.

Cementimental

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on October 07, 2019, 12:19:34 PMAnd I would also walk around with the tape recorder on and record everything and listen to it afterwards. Those tapes are sadly loooong gone but at that time

Aged around 10 or so a friend and I made a recording by taping a shoebox taperecorder to a skateboard and rolling it down a hill. Also used to enjoy putting sellotape over the internal mic and recording the sound of ripping it off. gonna try that one again come to think of it :D

i'm sure i still have at least one childhood random recordings tape, I must find.