Noise gentrification?

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, October 05, 2019, 01:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Mentioned Ramirez podcast does illustrate such thing a bit. Of course, often it is a matter of taste. If some sensitive people do not want to listen his Last Rape project, simply due the name - it is fine. Just a matter of taste. I doubt they would rally against it, completely clueless what the actual content of project is. That is explained in interview, and it is quite interesting and perhaps even surprising what concept of Last Rape was/is. To hear more in depth about Last Rape, still requires existence of medium where it can be discussed even if subject is seemingly unpleasant. There are multiple examples that indicate people would prefer not to soil their hands due scene politics.

I recall maybe roughly 10 years ago, Con-Dom had set schedule in Europe, until last minute it turned out someone discovered discogs page with artwork and titles of the mid 80's Con-Dom tapes. Date was cancelled, since he was not interested to crawl in front of people who were not really interested to listen his point. Nor he wanted to make big deal about cancelled show, play the victim card, so to say. I got impression it was just something he rather leave behind as quick as possible and move to next gig. Which is something that is often good move and usually recommended for anyone.

Yet in other hand, for those who came for the show in hopes of seeing Con-Dom, and find out show was cancelled, perhaps would have been illuminating to find out it was because unexplained swastika appeared on tape few decades earlier...and it was problematic hmmm..   In some ways funny, in some ways not. Any time one hears someone say world "problematic", you pretty much know what is about to come... Utter BS, that is.

It does create quite fruitful breeding ground for industrial noise that seeks to irritate people, but also creates lazy reaction machine that doesn't really live up to what one would expect from industrial-noise.

Quote from: holy ghost on October 06, 2019, 01:59:06 AM
Now it's definitely (maybe) the influx of guys from the black metal scene who love that edgy shit. .

I do see this, yet I also see that there are couple things to note.
-Black Metal for most part, ain't really that edgy. Lots of people in industrial that have connections towards BM don't appear to look or sound that way. To me it seems more like "hipsters" that adapt BM aesthetic,  is the more visible phenomena. While BM guys in industrial tend to blend in without sticking out that vividly?
-Black Metal scene, as a whole, seems way way worse than it is in noise - if were are talking about topic here. Paradox perhaps, but it really is well and often displayed. Obvious to see the transition over the years, and escalating at identical timeline with rest of alternative music & popular culture. It is staggering amount of people drawn towards thing they inherently can not accept. So with the influx, I'm sure there is strong possibility you get decent % of that crowd, not the infamous edgelords.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Bloated Slutbag

This is only tangentially related, but anyone remember that old Bananafish commentary on the subject of "scene turds" (and freebird-yellers)? From the 90s. Seems to tread much of the terrain covered in this topic. Funniest damn shit I ever read. I can almost but not quite quote the whole passage from memory, but fear anything less than verbatim would not do adequate justice. edit Ends with a suggestion that the scene turd reimburse otherwise satisfied patrons a pro-rated portion of the (refund on the) price of admission for fouling the establishment with their presence. (Ach damn, I've already murdered it.)

If someone could find a scan or quote somewhere that'd be swell.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

slagfrenzy tapes

What he said. Much respect. Thats noise.

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on October 07, 2019, 10:57:16 AM
This is only tangentially related, but anyone remember that old Bananafish commentary on the subject of "scene turds" (and freebird-yellers)? From the 90s. Seems to tread much of the terrain covered in this topic. Funniest damn shit I ever read. I can almost but not quite quote the whole passage from memory, but fear anything less than verbatim would not do adequate justice. edit Ends with a suggestion that the scene turd reimburse otherwise satisfied patrons a pro-rated portion of the (refund on the) price of admission for fouling the establishment with their presence. (Ach damn, I've already murdered it.)

If someone could find a scan or quote somewhere that'd be swell.

slagfrenzy tapes

slagfrenzy tapes

It's weird to have a talk about noise. Noise is a problem, it's à disruption. It disprupts.

slagfrenzy tapes

Nun of you, have been disruptive. You all talked a lot, but...
You are all. All the comentors on this topic are the problem with the gentrification within noise. No shit..

XXX

Quote from: slagfrenzy tapes on October 07, 2019, 02:09:19 PM
You are all. All the comentors on this topic are the problem with the gentrification within noise. No shit..

quadruple post with nothing to say. seems you met your goal and are indeed disruptive to the conversation on here. of course that is one way to keep gentrification out. just be a one person unit plugging up your ears shouting "i cant hear you" to everyone who speaks. it only "works" in that there is no community with this method.

deutscheasphalt

Quote from: Harvest on October 07, 2019, 08:00:39 PM
Quote from: slagfrenzy tapes on October 07, 2019, 02:09:19 PM

quadruple post with nothing to say. seems you met your goal and are indeed disruptive to the conversation on here. of course that is one way to keep gentrification out. just be a one person unit plugging up your ears shouting "i cant hear you" to everyone who speaks. it only "works" in that there is no community with this method.

don't feed the troll

slagfrenzy tapes

If I may explain.
Good noise. I quote.
Bloated Slutbag
Still one of the most memorable Merzbow performances was outdoors at a major NTT funded media arts center in Tokyo. At the start of the event, which presumably included various multi-media people, probably Ryoji Ikeda and others, you couldn't get anywhere near the stage...or the giant speaker stacks. When Merz and then-hubby started up the massive crowd, numbering I'd guess in the thousands, dispersed real quick. After making my way to stand right in front of one of the stacks I recognized exactly one noisehead from a few past events, bowed as me and shaking slightly from the bodily pressures. There may have been a handful of others still hanging around by the end, can't recall. Loudest goddamn show ever.

It seems to me that gentrification has replaced the word commerce. The above quote is a good example of not perching to the converted. Gentrification is linked to commerce, to the fear of losing money on your investment. In the example above, Merzbow was never going to be invited back..therefore disruptive,therefore noise.

Protection of a scene is protection of an investment. Gentrification/Commerce.

Cementimental

Quote from: aububs on October 05, 2019, 07:34:05 PM
what events are you referring to? the bristol schimpfluch thing? the lafms thing in london?
Those were both completely amazing :)

If noise was really gentrified then people would actually show up for the gigs :D

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: slagfrenzy tapes on October 07, 2019, 08:19:02 PM
It seems to me that gentrification has replaced the word commerce. The above quote is a good example of not perching to the converted. Gentrification is linked to commerce, to the fear of losing money on your investment. In the example above, Merzbow was never going to be invited back..therefore disruptive,therefore noise.

Protection of a scene is protection of an investment. Gentrification/Commerce.

I would assume, to reduce noise as merely disruptive is hardly accurate. If there would have to be one adjective, I'd rather choose: revelatory.

Especially if being disruptive, equals trolling, then it hardly has relevance in noise since era it was no longer live music for unprepared crowd.

Except, like suggested, people nowadays react on revelatory noise as if it was trolling. If this explanation makes sense?

EDIT:
And on the topic of trolling, forum policy is quite clear on that. Different, unpopular opinions, fine. Repeated trolling means bye bye.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

aububs

Quote from: Cementimental on October 07, 2019, 08:35:21 PM
what events are you referring to? the bristol schimpfluch thing? the lafms thing in london?

yeah they were incredible. but they're the only things i can think of that fit the "old timers/arts funding" description.

Johann

Quote from: aububs on October 07, 2019, 09:06:55 PM

yeah they were incredible. but they're the only things i can think of that fit the "old timers/arts funding" description.

I have no problems with using arts funding or whatever, if it gets you the ability to bring acts that are otherwise unobtainable to your town/city and pay them who could complain about that? Certain ones seem less genuine than others, but I support the idea of using free money when you can get it. I don't view this as part of the problem.

Doesn't Color Out of Space rely on funding as well?

slagfrenzy tapes

revelatory in the context of open, yes I agree, I would like to include disruption in the context of against conditioning.
Thank you, that was worth thinking about.

slagfrenzy tapes

Quote from: aububs link=topic=10143.msg82317#msg82317 date=1570293
If noise was really gentrified then people would actually show up for the gigs :D
/quote]

I'm jealous, you nailed it.