Offline labels: Peoples that operate through snail mail?

Started by gabalgabow, September 29, 2019, 09:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PTM Jim

Quote from: collapsedhole on September 30, 2019, 02:45:16 PM
eddie giles / final solution is snail mail only, i think...
Yep. Eddie only does snail mail. He doesn't really run a label though. It's mainly for trading purposes.

Does Hatband even have an email? I feel like he does things pretty under the radar.

Euro Trash Bazooka

I never managed to get the Hatband contact. I asked a few times around, even to people with releases on the label. Ugh...

And I remember ordering from massive paper catalog by calling the distros on the phone directly in the early 00's. Sometimes it got awkward but I always loved it.

And I toyed with the idea of releasing stuff only available through fax orders before, but unless I have incredibly awesome things to sell or start following current trends, it wouldn't work. One day maybe...
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

ANDROPHILIA

well i have made some tapes with BeTon records.
no website there's a facebook page run by fan/friend but not for the owner.
only email

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

Soloman Tump

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on October 01, 2019, 11:16:39 AM
I never managed to get the Hatband contact. I asked a few times around, even to people with releases on the label. Ugh...

And I remember ordering from massive paper catalog by calling the distros on the phone directly in the early 00's. Sometimes it got awkward but I always loved it.

And I toyed with the idea of releasing stuff only available through fax orders before, but unless I have incredibly awesome things to sell or start following current trends, it wouldn't work. One day maybe...

I have a fax machine in the cupboard of my work office.  Every now and then I switch it on and we sometimes get the odd cached advert message come through trying to sell us stuff. A really underused medium IMO - I read once about a fax only art trading club. 

I would love to have a fax out edition of my zine!

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Soloman Tump on October 01, 2019, 12:41:23 PM
Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on October 01, 2019, 11:16:39 AM

I have a fax machine in the cupboard of my work office.  Every now and then I switch it on and we sometimes get the odd cached advert message come through trying to sell us stuff. A really underused medium IMO - I read once about a fax only art trading club. 

I would love to have a fax out edition of my zine!

Faxing zines sounds like a really cool idea (and a potentially interesting take on the idea of mail art as well).  Makes me wish that I owned one...

I wonder if anyone operates solely through phones?  I always thought it would be fun to experiment with advertising noise/pe teaser songs over the phone as opposed to online.

Eigen Bast

No Rent used to have a hotline where you could hear new titles.

I do remember an offline experimental label with a pretty deep catalog that just went online, but can't recall details. There was a thread on the stench years ago about some weird catalog only movie distro though I was getting cp vibes from it lol.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Eigen Bast on October 01, 2019, 05:23:53 PM
No Rent used to have a hotline where you could hear new titles.

I do remember an offline experimental label with a pretty deep catalog that just went online, but can't recall details. There was a thread on the stench years ago about some weird catalog only movie distro though I was getting cp vibes from it lol.

Is their phone line still active?  I would be interested in trying the number.

Eigen Bast

Dial (641) 715-3900, extension 590622#

give it a shot !

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Eigen Bast on October 01, 2019, 06:31:59 PM
Dial (641) 715-3900, extension 590622#

give it a shot !

Unfortunately, it did't work.  All I got was a recorded message saying that the number does not work.  Interestingly, despite the label still appearing active, the number is still advertised on their website.  https://www.norentrecords.com/hotline  Have you been able to get it to work recently?

MyrtleLake

I do remember an offline experimental label with a pretty deep catalog that just went online, but can't recall details..

Possibly No Part of It?

Lazrs3

There's Matching Head that is run by Lee Stokoe of Culver, they do loads of different stuff.
https://www.discogs.com/label/76462-Matching-Head

NO PART OF IT

Quote from: MyrtleLake on October 01, 2019, 09:20:26 PM
I do remember an offline experimental label with a pretty deep catalog that just went online, but can't recall details..

Possibly No Part of It?

no part of it operated for 2 years and some change without any internet engagement.   There was an address book made, and newsletters were sent.  At that time, Illusion of Safety, WILT, and an LP by Blood Rhythms were released, among other things that still aren't represented on the internet at all.  It was not about money or nostalgia.  It was nice to have a break from the internet.   I was interviewed by a weekly paper in Chicago, and the opportunity was almost lost because I wasn't replying to their emails (or checking them).  They finally got ahold of someone with my phone number and called me.   It would have been really nice if it were sustainable, but ultimately I was releasing work by my favorite artists, and I wanted to be 100% about it. 
A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

sadneck

My friend runs a label that is distributed solely by him dropping CDR copies into charity shops along local bus routes, and leaving them in pubs or inside books in local libraries.

https://rateyourmusic.com/label/touching_sock_records/

You can email him to ask for some releases but whether he'll reply or not, who knows.