Offline labels: Peoples that operate through snail mail?

Started by gabalgabow, September 29, 2019, 09:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabalgabow

Do you know if some labels/ distros still operate strictly through snail mail in 2019?

I mean without website, without facebook, or even without email adress...

Everything done through old snail mail (Regular letters)

Might it be metal, noise, experimental, etc

There was still some a few years ago... But in 2019?

deutscheasphalt

gabalgabow

deutscheasphalt

Quote from: gabalgabow on September 30, 2019, 01:08:19 AM
Quote from: deutscheasphalt on September 29, 2019, 11:44:36 PM
Only for special limited releases. Why you asking?

Not sure if we understood each others?

I do snail mail sometimes, but only for special limited releases.
Why are you asking?

I don't know how to phrase this more clearly...

FreakAnimalFinland

I doubt there would be any who rely exclusively old fashioned post system for communication.
I think there are labels who do not have website at all, and many who do not have social media. But without email? I doubt. Yet, this also is tricky, as how exactly existence of such label is known by people who now basically operate solely online? I know people who have released stuff, and do not promote it online, yet as persons, they are reachable via electronic means, and can't be reached with snail mail, as nobody knows their address.

Getting flyer and seeing address where one must send 10$ to get something? Highly unlikely it would work out this day and age...  Distro with just the paper catalogue sent in letters, expecting people order with cash in envelope method, I just don't see it happening anymore beyond someone trying to make statement of some sort.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Soloman Tump

I have seen tapes/cds/zines for sale at shows that is only available at shows - you cannot order it online.  A good way to get people to attend gigs.

Euro Trash Bazooka

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 30, 2019, 08:50:34 AM

Getting flyer and seeing address where one must send 10$ to get something? Highly unlikely it would work out this day and age...  Distro with just the paper catalogue sent in letters, expecting people order with cash in envelope method, I just don't see it happening anymore beyond someone trying to make statement of some sort.

The Skuggeheim dude did it a few years ago. It worked for a while, now he owes dozens of people plenty of money (myself included.) I'd still order with cash through the mail and snail mail if I like the music but most people who run labels in underground scenes expect more than just getting releases out nowadays. It turns into a status thing, same as with not wanting to operate online - - - > BORING.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

collapsedhole

eddie giles / final solution is snail mail only, i think...

vomitgore

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on September 30, 2019, 01:49:20 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 30, 2019, 08:50:34 AM

The Skuggeheim dude did it a few years ago. It worked for a while, now he owes dozens of people plenty of money (myself included.) I'd still order with cash through the mail and snail mail if I like the music but most people who run labels in underground scenes expect more than just getting releases out nowadays. It turns into a status thing, same as with not wanting to operate online - - - > BORING.

I thought of him too. However, that flyer was spread online, which is kind of ironic...

gabalgabow

Quote from: Soloman Tump on September 30, 2019, 01:09:15 PM
I have seen tapes/cds/zines for sale at shows that is only available at shows - you cannot order it online. 

A good way to get people to attend gigs.

Yes :)

gabalgabow

What I have in mind is older peoples who do this kind of labels since more than a few years... They already have their contacts, so it remains possible.

For exemple REALITY IMPAIRED used to be very active through snail mail mostly. He has an email adress, but it's clearly not his main contact...
Now due to Us postage increase he slowed down.

But I think starting a label this way in 2019 wouldn't work at all...

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on September 30, 2019, 01:49:20 PM...but most people who run labels in underground scenes expect more than just getting releases out nowadays. It turns into a status thing, same as with not wanting to operate online - - - > BORING.
I think it might often be mistaken for just a different process, when it is really rooted in a different time and different mindset.  And if it is a matter of nostalgia for people who didn't actually live in that time, then it seems to be a twisted, misunderstood nostalgia.  And probably a lot of entitlement, which is possibly semantic to what you're saying about status.  A different time and world.  necessity, as in the tools of the process, aren't really applicable one to the other.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

deutscheasphalt

Quote from: gabalgabow on September 30, 2019, 07:10:07 PM
But I think starting a label this way in 2019 wouldn't work at all...

You would have to be able to offer items that aren't available anywhere else, that everybody wants, on a consistent basis to make enough profit to sustain the distro.
It's possible but I'd be curious what kinds of items could create the needed demand.
Customers who are used to paypal or whatever will probably not switch to receiving news"letter" -> sending order letter -> receiving invoice -> sending cash letter -> receiving tape in the mail...
Cost of postage is also too high to do this for throughout the board distributed items unless it's sold out everywhere else and highly searched after.
It's a cute idea but times just have changed, gotta wait for WW3.

gabalgabow

"news"letter" -> sending order letter -> receiving invoice -> sending cash letter -> receiving tape in the mail... "

This is a bit more complicated than the reality I knew.

In the past when labels used to do printed catalogs, it was more:

The customer looks at the list, calculates the total, writes down a few replacement choices, and sends payment: Cash/ cheque etc
I know some labels worked this way.
Some also had a phone number.

deutscheasphalt

Quote from: gabalgabow on September 30, 2019, 07:46:13 PM
The customer looks at the list, calculates the total, writes down a few replacement choices, and sends payment: Cash/ cheque etc

It works but sucks when items sold out quickly while you're still receiving cash.
You can potentially save 1 step if you send out the order & invoice in one go (to trustworthy customers)