synth talk / lazy synth?

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, August 24, 2019, 03:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on September 05, 2019, 03:38:23 PM
But in the end it's always a matter of personal tastes.

It does tend to come down to that doesn't it? And where for that matter it tends to come from. This whole discussion was born not out of a boring nuts n bolts gear/tech/etc discussion but out of the juicier comments/reviews. Call it criticism, or maybe call it semantics, eg call it the distance between what you feel (as good) and what you try to express (in words, as good). In there, you'll get questions as to what is generating the feel or lack thereof. In there the attempt to isolate what is worthy of criticism / praise / respect / dismissal. One listener doesn't feel it and duly assigns a culprit, eg "lazy synths". And is duly taken to task.

But really baby. It's not you, it's me.

Why does (generic piss awful noise) always get a free pass? I have my read. Which I wouldn't necessarily say I'm trying to privilege. But which starts somewhere in the distance between accepting the rhetoric at face value and making a dumb-ass joke.

Anyway. Maybe we should start listing all the various forms of synthesis, and assigning a score (or opinion). It's all subjective right? Granular: 3.5 / 10 (going by this discussion).

How many established forms of synthesis are there?
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Zeno Marx

Eddie Van Halen had a cool sense for synths.  He might have even been able to make great soundtracks for movies.  He had that Escape from New York and Halloween II vibe.  Check out "Sunday Afternoon in the Park".
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

WhiteWarlock

Quote from: Zeno Marx on October 30, 2020, 10:37:00 PM
Eddie Van Halen had a cool sense for synths.  He might have even been able to make great soundtracks for movies.  He had that Escape from New York and Halloween II vibe.  Check out "Sunday Afternoon in the Park".
Supposedly he used Oberheim OB-Xa/Oberheim OB-8  & rumor/gossip he owned original EHX Minisynth EH0400...
http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/eh_minisynth.php
Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?
FreakMaker
SynthWizards/N01ZE